Author Topic: Hindenburg crank removal question  (Read 1907 times)

Offline 5hane

• Backpacker
  • Beginner rider / 7 months
Hindenburg crank removal question
« on: August 03, 2010, 05:56:56 AM »
  I'm trying to take off my KHE Hindenburg 2-pc cranks and I can't seem to get them off.  I removed the two little bolts that screw into the crank arms but I can't get the arms to budge and I don't see any other part that can be loosened.  Do you have to hammer on the arms a bit to get them loose? Thought I'd ask before I totally screw them up hehe

Thanks  :beer:
It's not about the bike. - Lance Armstrong

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Hindenburg crank removal question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 06:32:45 AM »
my older style khe hindenburg 152mm 3 piece cranks are such a pain in the arse to take the arms off. ...   the fit on the ti spindle to the crank arm is amazingly tight

but I am using the fsa gun drilled ti spindle also -  but whatever

because my fsa spindle has such a larger bolt size than a profile spindle does
I use a 12mm socket and a small socket extension  on the spindle after removing the bolts
and hammer the thing with a mini sledge to get the spindle to slide off the crank arm thru the bottom bracket.      its a pain
it will ruin your socket and extension
but its the only way ive been able to take them off a bike so far.

there is titanium anti seize compound that you MUST use on titanium axle spindles and crap because some how the diffrent metals will naturaly weld them selves together over time making it darn near impossible to seperate the two after this happens.
anti seize compound will prevent this above scenereo.
Old dudes can still rip

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 07:58:25 AM »
try to tap the spindle, and crank arm should go off easly. that`s how i did it

good luck

Offline 5hane

• Backpacker
  • Beginner rider / 7 months
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 03:55:49 PM »
try to tap the spindle, and crank arm should go off easly. that`s how i did it

good luck

Ahh thanks man, that did it  :beer: ;D :beer:
It's not about the bike. - Lance Armstrong

Offline hijito

• Backpacker
  • Korosu!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 12:33:54 PM »
jesus people why dont u use crank extractor?

ozz

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 04:08:12 AM »
A Profile tool does come in handy.

Offline MING

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 07:09:47 PM »
If you have the 2 peice crank there should only be on alan key bolt that comes off and thats on the side of the chain ring. The blue one on the other side stays fixed. Hitting it with a hammer like in the pic is surely going to break it.  The splines on the axle are really close together so a gentle wiggle of the crank arm (chain ring side) should eventually come loose.   You might need a little tap with a smaller hammer but nothing to hard. The other arm has the axle attached dont hit that.

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 07:42:04 PM »
If you have the 2 peice crank there should only be on alan key bolt that comes off and thats on the side of the chain ring. The blue one on the other side stays fixed. Hitting it with a hammer like in the pic is surely going to break it.  The splines on the axle are really close together so a gentle wiggle of the crank arm (chain ring side) should eventually come loose.   You might need a little tap with a smaller hammer but nothing to hard. The other arm has the axle attached dont hit that.

ROFL. now slowly read your text again, look at the picture closely, think about everything uve just sad and u will realize u dont make any sense ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 07:45:32 PM by mare »

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 11:56:09 PM »
I got a 25$ bill for any one who can "wiggle"  my hindenburg crank arm off its spindle.
lol
rotfl...

I promise you the last time I had to take them dam things off it was a 5lb mini sledge the only thing that would get it to slide off the spindle...

"wiggle it off"
lol
Old dudes can still rip