Author Topic: rim spin times...  (Read 3375 times)

Offline broke_khe

• Backpacker
rim spin times...
« on: July 28, 2010, 06:55:30 AM »
(FRONT) is stock KHE unsealed 3/8 axle off the single wall rims that come stock with khe bikes.
SPINS FOR 6 to 7 min.  probably a $20 hub?
Now the (REAR) is a khe/federal v3 free coaster sealed 14mm axle it spins  LESS THAN ONE MIN!.
I have replaced all the bearings and still no success.  Everything is adjust.    ha ha ha yeah rite
I am better off sticking with ball bearing ? >:( nankai is best ?
everything was adjusted properly. the cone jam nuts are stripped every time!!! on sealed hubs!
But even with it adjust loose, it still rolls for 2 min. now its up to :( a one min. success and YES
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:05:38 AM by broke_khe »

Offline kkmk

• Hitchhiker
Re: rim spin times...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 11:17:37 AM »
Is it noticeably slow when on the bike?

My Marmoset rolls for maybe 15 seconds when my bike is upside down, but goes forever when I am actually riding it - my reverse actually rolls longer.

Budz

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 02:02:06 PM »
my experience has been that unsealed hubs roll better than most sealed hubs, and its been explained to me that unsealed bearings can take a greater beating than sealed bearings, and can withstand much heavier side loads. i cant confirm or dis-confirm this...just sharing my experience with both types of bearings, and what ive heard from a qualified mechanical engineer.

Nankai makes GREAT freecoasters! just be patient with it. dialing in a Nankai is a bit more time consuming than dialing in your averahe sealed KHE or Taska type hub. after some time u will get it right, and the hub will give you years of usage.
an important tip is that you make sure the brake cone and lock nuts are super tight and secure. the brake cone has a tendency to come loose inside the hub. if seen this happen to soo many people. they would keep adjusting the outer nuts, when in fact it was the loose brake cone inside that was loose and causing the wheel to have "play" in it.
so if u go the Nankai route, keep this in mind.

btw..one minute of spin is fine...thats really not gonna slow your roll on the ground. ;)
if your wheel only spins for 10-20 (or less) seconds, start worrying.

Offline lamehead

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 03:34:47 PM »
Your comparing an unsealed front hub to a REAR hub???

Thats like comparing apples to rocks. Seriously.

Just for the sake of typing ....
Sealed vs unsealed: Big difference. You can get an unsealed up to spin way longe rthat a sealed hub IF you adjust it right. However, sealed spins smoother, has less play and requires less maintenance.

Front vs Rear: GEEZE. look at at the internals in you rear hub and chain tension causes issues too.

Offline broke_khe

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 01:20:14 AM »
 :ph34r: **update** everything was adjusted properly. the cone jam nuts are stripped every time!!! on sealed hubs!
Do they sell jam nuts in lowes? NO! Nowhere in the whole city Only with a CARD and $20 for 2 jam nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????? your rite budz is broken...
But even with it adjust loose, it still rolls for 2 min. now its up to.  Sad a one min. success and YES I can tell its lagging BIG time when riding it.   Could it be the lube I'm using Park Tools polylube 1000 in both hubs... I coated them lightly with the lube.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 09:58:51 PM by broke_khe »

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 01:35:55 AM »
You really do not have a clue how to work on those hubs do you? This isn't the first time you've mentioned you've had problems.

Freecoasters in my experience typically do not spin free the same way a front hub does. They look as if they spin "slower" but they really don't when you ride them.

Offline Rad255

• GF Inhabitant
  • Just laugh.
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 01:41:03 AM »
You really do not have a clue how to work on those hubs do you? This isn't the first time you've mentioned you've had problems.

Freecoasters in my experience typically do not spin free the same way a front hub does. They look as if they spin "slower" but they really don't when you ride them.

+1

durpdurpdurp

pucker22

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 05:42:37 PM »
My khe hubs don't spin very long upside down but spin forever when actually riding.

Offline broke_khe

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 09:47:19 PM »
O.K., well...   It seems the driver teeth are bent because it popped when pedaled hard and chain falls off and has broke twice ... So i tried to straiten the driver teeth out and... :wacko: BREAK! :wacko: off it flew SO NOW there is only 9 out of 11 remaining! Both one after the other. where it is broke.

I dunno if maybe the one missing tooth before could of caused this to happen but, The teeth were grinding on the chain and breaking the chain.  I adjusted the chain play side to side and all and STILL it broke, chain was adjust! I don't see how this happened...
I don't got no CASH for another $50?! driver for a KHE/FED free coaster hub that only rolls for a min. and 1/2  :angry:
sigh

I mean my taska 3/8 $38 free coaster rolled longer than this thing and worked better BUT the driver on that snapped into bits after like a month NOPE can't find replacement driver for under $20 and only with a card AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
So that's wasted  , NEVER TRY TO BEND THE DRIVER TEETH!
NOW I JUST HAVE 3 free coasters that are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and i cant ride anymore
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:04:27 PM by broke_khe »

Offline broke_khe

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 10:01:12 PM »

Front vs Rear: GEEZE. look at at the internals in you rear hub and chain tension causes issues too.
I DID everything was good but the driver teeth bent from getting out the bearing race that was stuck in it. now two teeth are missing so I'm out of luck ! :( just another setback in life
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:06:29 PM by broke_khe »

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
    • My Art For Free & For Sale
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 10:14:42 PM »
It doesn't matter if you have nankai or khe or anything else.  No freecoaster is ever going to spin as smoothly as any front hub.  Expecting it to is just unrealistic and a waste of your time.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 09:08:37 AM »
I cannot fathom how you managed to snap off or bend the teeth of your driver, and then fail to mention that in your write up.

Offline Leone4130

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 06:17:08 PM »
my front homer hub spins for maybe 10 seconds when bike is upside down. When im on it, it rolls like a freakin dream! maybe you just need to break it in a little? are the bearings oversized?

Offline lamehead

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 11:30:15 PM »
Jam washers??? Need to learn to lock your cone nuts. You dont need a special washer, just a good cone wrench.

How the heck are you breaking your driver teeth? You riding street on it? Chain tension?

Offline broke_khe

• Backpacker
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 09:06:26 PM »

How the heck are you breaking your driver teeth? You riding street on it? Chain tension?
Yes its a haro m7 :D 19.25tt Works for street like a dream but I'm 6"5 and I look retarded on these dinky arse bikes OH WELL
I took a washer out of the drive side sprocket and now it only pops a little and I cannot take a washer out because there are no more So 2 washers on the right side of the wheel i guess I just have to ride unbalanced back rim LOL The JAM NUTS are stripped Soo every time I tighten it slows spin time considerably!  :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
 :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
 :angry: :angry: :angry:The driver teeth were not even bent :( Now there are 2 missing  :It was washer at crank  (
 :angry: :angry: Where can one find 14mm jam nuts???????
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 09:09:28 PM by broke_khe »