Author Topic: tanwall  (Read 2780 times)

Offline RobWire

• Backpacker
tanwall
« on: July 26, 2010, 02:29:47 AM »
just a quick question. are there any benefits to running tanwall tires or do they just look nice. i wouldn't think there would be a difference right?

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
Re: tanwall
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 02:33:24 AM »
No difference other than color.

pucker22

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 04:22:16 AM »
And compound ofc... ^_^

Offline b_ron

• GF Inhabitant
    • PbNation
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 05:52:27 AM »
it helps you balance better
Signing out...

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 10:35:55 AM »
just a quick question. are there any benefits to running tanwall tires or do they just look nice. i wouldn't think there would be a difference right?

contemporary tanwalls tires are alright and shouldn't ride differently from black/single-walled coloured tires.
the old/mid school tanwall/skinwall tires are different - made from a yellowish-translucent gum or latex compound - they wouldn't hold up in the tropical climate that i'm from. i had ruin and seen many ruined skinwall acs rl edge, 6 months max, in storage before the skinwall starts cracking. if you inflate a cracked skinwall, the gum/latex sides will start peeling as you use it, to reveal the threads.
i remembered being glad when primo released blackwall high pressure tires(v monsters)!   

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 12:07:45 PM »
6 months is good for a tyre! my friend here has to change every two weeks!
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 02:17:46 PM »
Right now on FF, Pat has Freq G tanwalls on sale. I think they are the old ones without the P-lyte casing but DO have a kevlar bead. They weight 454g vs the black P-lyte casing +Kevlar bead that weighs 380g. P-lyte tires I think have blue letters and the old stuff has orange. I've only ridden the p-lyte Kevlar ones, so I can't compare how they feel.
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline RobWire

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 09:22:19 PM »

contemporary tanwalls tires are alright and shouldn't ride differently from black/single-walled coloured tires.
the old/mid school tanwall/skinwall tires are different - made from a yellowish-translucent gum or latex compound - they wouldn't hold up in the tropical climate that i'm from. i had ruin and seen many ruined skinwall acs rl edge, 6 months max, in storage before the skinwall starts cracking. if you inflate a cracked skinwall, the gum/latex sides will start peeling as you use it, to reveal the thread i remembered being glad when primo released blackwall high pressure tires(v monsters)!   

so do you think tanwalls would be fine on long island. its humid as hell here.

Right now on FF, Pat has Freq G tanwalls on sale. I think they are the old ones without the P-lyte casing but DO have a kevlar bead. They weight 454g vs the black P-lyte casing +Kevlar bead that weighs 380g. P-lyte tires I think have blue letters and the old stuff has orange. I've only ridden the p-lyte Kevlar ones, so I can't compare how they feel.

yea the reason i was asking is because there are some on thebykeshop for real cheap. http://thebykeshop.com/shop/tires-wheels/ .but i think im just gonna get primo walls after my tire pops within the next week or so. im using it until i can't possibly use it anymore.

Offline Havokflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 11:59:12 PM »
this is the best place on the planet to shop for parts . . .

the primo walls aren't high pressure tires. (just making sure you're aware) ;D
The french don't know Rock & Roll.

Offline RobWire

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 02:02:14 AM »
I know about ff. Thanks. But I also heard that primo walls were tested up to 200 psi. I wouldn't fill them up that high though.

Offline b_ron

• GF Inhabitant
    • PbNation
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 06:20:45 AM »
can't go wrong with walls
running them on my front wheel. put them on last august and still 70% tread life left.
i run them at 110psi
Signing out...

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 10:18:38 AM »
i ran primo walls @ 120psi with no problems bitd...the khe lamellos are rated
@85 psi - i run them at 110 with no problems too.
primo 1.5" comet on the other hand=sketchy above 100psi, mine develop cracks on the sidewalls within weeks, had to drop to 100psi (from 120psi) to prevent blowout.

the old/mid school tanwall/skinwall tires are different - made from a yellowish-translucent gum or latex compound - they wouldn't hold up in the tropical climate that i'm from. i had ruin and seen many ruined skinwall acs rl edge, 6 months max, in storage before the skinwall starts cracking. if you inflate a cracked skinwall, the gum/latex sides will start peeling as you use it, to reveal the thread i remembered being glad when primo released blackwall high pressure tires(v monsters)!  

so do you think tanwalls would be fine on long island. its humid as hell here.

yea the reason i was asking is because there are some on thebykeshop for real cheap. http://thebykeshop.com/shop/tires-wheels/ .but i think im just gonna get primo walls after my tire pops within the next week or so. im using it until i can't possibly use it anymore.

contempory tan walls tires are ok, probly last as long as blackwall tires as they (tanwall sides)are made from similar compound as the threads, just different in colour.

$30 usd for tan walls?!! well, fyi:
the lbs in singapore are selling steelbead frequency G (blackwall,blue label, not too sure if its p-lyte casing) for $25 singapore dollars~usd $16.67 @1.5 exchange rate. that what i call a steal.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 10:24:51 AM by K.Wong »

Offline RobWire

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 03:15:48 PM »
on the byke shop it comes as a pair so its only $15 per tire.

Budz

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 01:46:10 PM »
Rob, i believe Will runs tanwalls...he is on the Island too.
u will be fine. like mentioned only ting different is mainly the color.
just go with what scheme u think looks best for your ride. ;)