Author Topic: who finds flatland easy?  (Read 10408 times)

who finds flatland easy?
« on: July 27, 2010, 09:21:36 PM »
oki today i decided to ride my hybrid for the first time, hookedup with some freinds at a local mini ramp.....they were pulling 360s, stalls,nose pics ect ect all i could do was a little bit of air and a fakie :/ i felt sooo crap and out of place
but when we got to some flatground i could fork glide, bar hops to nose manual, hang 5 easily ok not as good as you guys ha but it felt easer but still hard
any one else like this?
im now thinking of giving up the hybrid and start all over with a complete flatland setup

Offline Mark McGrade

• Cliffhanger
Re: who finds flatland easy?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:37:42 PM »
I think Flatland gets easer over time......lots of time.
When first starting out Flatland is the hardest and most challenging thing I've ever done in my life.........well that and saying "I do" to my now wife.  ;D

Offline jsteady

• GF Inhabitant
    • :P
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 03:22:27 AM »
how old are you? street def gets less appealing as you get older! swap the hybrid for a skateboard on the ramps man......or get a longboard i been looking at some longboards theres some nice hybrid longboards now.....crusing with a little bit of swagger is fun :ph34r:

im looking at one of these

http://www.youtube.com/user/Originalskateboards#p/u/50/MoracfpEE-s

these are nice too

http://www.youtube.com/user/Originalskateboards#p/u/16/t4wD-3-GYCk

It's pretty rad that skateboarding is going back to its roots. That little deck looks like so much fun!!

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 03:04:08 PM »
how old are you? street def gets less appealing as you get older! swap the hybrid for a skateboard on the ramps man......or get a longboard i been looking at some longboards theres some nice hybrid longboards now.....crusing with a little bit of swagger is fun :ph34r:

im looking at one of these

http://www.youtube.com/user/Originalskateboards#p/u/50/MoracfpEE-s

these are nice too

im only 23 lol.....i jus cant seem to keep up with some folk there blasting out 360s and shizz.....im not a fan of skateboaring got alot of respect for skaters but just isnt me

http://www.youtube.com/user/Originalskateboards#p/u/16/t4wD-3-GYCk

Offline GRFN.FLAT.

• Deathtrucker
  • that's some scooby-snacks right thurr
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 01:30:55 AM »
it's not that it's easier, it's that that's what you're used to. you're not used to hitting ramps and stuff, plus hitting ramps you have a bit more of a "scare" factor. it's just what you're used to.

for examples, i can hit handrails snowboarding but i can't hang5 more than 3 seconds. handrails are way, way scarier, i've just been snowboarding longer.

if you had started out riding street and dedicating time to airs and stuff, you'd be more comfortable with that.

Offline FlatlandNoob

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 12:58:18 PM »
I find it hella fun :D I never thought ide say that but after the first few days it gets interesting.

Offline Talisayflat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 04:56:07 PM »
well if it'll become easier by time then that'll be a long time for me still  :P

btw, longboarders for me are fustrated skateboarders haha
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 04:57:55 PM by Talisayflat »

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 07:25:25 PM »
I think flatland is one of the hardess things I've challege myslef with on a daily basis and have challenged myself with in life. The tricks you PRACTICE get easier and the ones you don't stay harder. The up side is that the longer you ride the easier it gets to understand "how" you learn a trick, so in turn you learn new tricks a little quicker as time goes by.
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline carld

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 08:47:56 PM »
i never found it to be easy.

but it was easier at the younger age to try and get stuff down, like when i was 18.  motivation by other riders did help.  after though.. i pretty much had no motivation whatsoever.  this happened when everyone quit riding in my neighborhood.  only a few local NJ riders live by, and of the few only one "wants" to ride with others.  it seems one guy and myself have cells.. but the other guys don't. 

14 years went by...  in that time, work took over, and my main flat setup is stolen.  school didn't help.  it took over all the time i wasn't working.  flatland was like a hobby i had no time for.  i built a new bike in 05 after not really having a flat setup for a good 2 years, just to see the bike collect dust since right after i built it..

getting hit by a car 5 years ago shot me down quite a bit in flatland or any bike progression.  it messed up pretty much my right shoulder and arm pretty much for the rest of my life (plate in my arm).  now i'm trying to get tricks i had at 18 back, its getting nerve racking to a point where i may throw my bike many times over small stuff.  pain don't help me one bit either.
Sorry I don't kiss ass, or care to follow, or copy.

Offline broke_khe

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 01:48:43 AM »
I feel yah on the pain thing i got a rod and 3 screws in my balance leg tibia But both bones broke in lower leg when i got hit by truck   UNtil the free coaster driver breaks
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:07:41 PM by broke_khe »

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 03:08:43 AM »
If you ride Flatland you need to have a way different mentality than any other discipline in the "bmx sport"

katobmx

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 05:06:44 AM »
If you ride Flatland you need to have a way different mentality than any other discipline in the "bmx sport"
+1. i Think flatland will always be discouraging for a beginner more so than street etc. for example as a street beginner you will see your idols to bar spins and 180's which are basic tricks but just on crazier stuff. but with flatland a beginner will learn a fork glide and see his idol do a turbine steam.not the same.its almost like you have to have some weird faith in flatland that you'll pull through and eventually progress

Offline yim

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 07:14:39 AM »
bout a month into riding flatland now and I find it pretty hard.  But I think challenging is a better word than hard, challenging in a fun way imo.  To me it seems you really have to enjoy the process of learning/deciphering a trick to enjoy flatland. 

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 08:34:42 AM »
bout a month into riding flatland now and I find it pretty hard.  But I think challenging is a better word than hard, challenging in a fun way imo.  To me it seems you really have to enjoy the process of learning/deciphering a trick to enjoy flatland. 

I was going to say something but you said it pretty much perfectly. It's not about the tricks, it's about learning them.

Offline Rad255

• GF Inhabitant
  • Just laugh.
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 08:40:26 AM »
Yea... um... flatland is f*cking hard.