Author Topic: Red Bull Flat Jazz in Paris  (Read 4915 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
Red Bull Flat Jazz in Paris
« on: July 23, 2010, 08:40:50 PM »
Matthias would like to tell you about his Flat Jazz project: "I´m really happy to introduce you to a project I have been working hard on the past 6 months with Red Bull. The Red Bull Flat Jazz is going to take place 9th Sepember in one of the most awesome venues in Paris. It´s going to be a meeting between Bmx Flatland and Jazz. Jazz may sound like old school and not entertaing, but the guys I´m working with are one of the best musicians on the planet. They are the new school of Jazz. Both of the discipline/art are very freestyle so it´s gonna be interesting! To represent the BMX part, I took the cream of the cream: Viki Gomez (Spain), Alex Jumelin (France), Yohei Uchino (Japan), and I!"

Further information: Red Bull Flat Jazz

byke

Re: Red Bull Flat Jazz in Paris
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 12:36:50 AM »
One of the first concepts in modern advertising / events that I am quite psyched on.
Jazz and flat ... I hope there will be Jazz dancers also.

Offline flat1ander

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 05:40:34 AM »
yeah i have to say this sounds really awesome, flat and jazz seem like they would certainly go very well together..

Offline Paul Chamberlain

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 08:47:59 AM »
Quite excited about this. A good jazz musician can interpret and follow the movements of anything really well. Just listen to a stock piece of classic jazz music like falling leaves.

Perhaps somebody who rides more slowly in the mix would work out well? Actually that Viki isn't it... Very interesting project!

Offline jazzman

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 02:17:57 PM »
meh....

sorry to be that guy... If it works then awesome! But jazz in Europe is not really a definitive music term, improvised music within the jazz spectrum does not mean it is jazz. 

But....

whatever... again I am glad to see that flatland riders are getting into new music and hope this event is a huge success.  :beer:
"This thread is hilarious. "-TJ Perry
"I feel the same about your political opinion as I do about your d!ck. I'm glad you have it, I'm glad you're so very proud of it..but I do not want to hear about it, compare it to mine, or see you wave it around.

After all, everyone believes their own is perfect anyway."

Offline jazzman

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 02:20:27 PM »
Quite excited about this. A good jazz musician can interpret and follow the movements of anything really well. Just listen to a stock piece of classic jazz music like falling leaves.

Perhaps somebody who rides more slowly in the mix would work out well? Actually that Viki isn't it... Very interesting project!

That first statement is not true.... some of those guys are so neurotic enough that following a dude on a bike might make their head explode! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dance accompanist are what you are referring too.... not jazz musicians.  :beer:
"I feel the same about your political opinion as I do about your d!ck. I'm glad you have it, I'm glad you're so very proud of it..but I do not want to hear about it, compare it to mine, or see you wave it around.

Offline jazzman

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 02:24:19 PM »
oh yeah... your talking about autumn leaves.... not falling leaves!  ;D

Offline wolfpuppet

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 02:57:03 PM »
I'm a fan of old jazz, and I like the idea. A large part of jazz tradition involves improvisation (See: Miles Davis, Coltrane and Ornette Coleman) so it'd be interesting how the riding and music mix.

Oh, and it's funny how the trailer didn't include any jazz at all. ^_^

BMXfreak

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 04:56:38 AM »
most matt wilhelm video parts are done to music with a lot of jazz inspiration and they always flow really smoothly. jazz and flatland is a good combination.

Offline wolfpuppet

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 06:00:51 AM »
most matt wilhelm video parts are done to music with a lot of jazz inspiration and they always flow really smoothly. jazz and flatland is a good combination.

I seem to recall he went to college on a music scholarship. Some of his videos even have original music. :)

Offline stvnlpsly

• GF Inhabitant
  • Quest BMX
    • Quest BMX
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 04:06:37 PM »
I listen to jazz when I ride all the time!

Offline jazzman

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 11:37:15 PM »
I listen to jazz when I ride all the time!

sweet! who?

Offline Paul Chamberlain

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 06:10:25 PM »
Hey thanks for the clue up Jazzman! Autumn Leaves! Dance Accompanist! Logged!

I always listen to blues music when I ride. Mostly stuff from before world war two. I like a lot of old Jazz too - stuff from the 30's and earlier. Big band stuff - old Louis Armstrong got me started - I feel like Jazz became something else after the war. Not really sure why. Blues was starting to change a lot by then too but I like 'rocky' blues from the 50's and 60's and some of the later rhythm and blues too.

My favourite blues is generally the real old stuff from the Delta - Although not one of the early-earlies and not a delta guy - Blind Willie McTell's about my favourite blues musician. Love his voice and his haunting high notes love his playing - He's a 12 string picker. I listen to Stateboro' blues everytime I ride. . .

I know it's not Jazz but when you go back there's not as much divergence as now.

cee el p

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 11:51:26 PM »
Im excited for this  Flatland is so versatile it just goes to show any backdrop will work . So we had viki and flamenco  , this one with jazz  so whats next for red bull?

Offline SNOOP

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 12:25:20 AM »
Im excited for this  Flatland is so versatile it just goes to show any backdrop will work . So we had viki and flamenco  , this one with jazz  so whats next for red bull?
+ 1... I think a full on concert, riding infront of an orchestra on the stage next to the conductor would be a good look for flat/ Mind f*ck the life less audience.