Author Topic: In Memory of Derrick Cottrell.  (Read 10563 times)

Offline Mark McGrade

• Cliffhanger
In Memory of Derrick Cottrell.
« on: July 20, 2010, 11:12:01 PM »
I feel the need to make a tribute thread to a fellow rider some of you may or may not have heard before... Derrick Cottrell.

Derrick was from Raymond NH and was an amazing rider, way ahead of his time! I rode with Derrick in the late 80's/Early 90's, we were even on the same Trick team together (The Granite State Trick Team). He also kicked major ass in the King of the Flatland series held in Manchester NH for many years.
Since getting back into riding I've been thinking of Derrick quite a bit, he was the most down to earth, likeable & humble kids you could ever meet, it so sucks he's gone.
Every time I go out to ride he's on my mind, I swear sometimes I can feel his presence pushing me along.
I'm sure if Derrick was still with us today he would be well known in the Flatland Community!

Derrick was taken from us back in 1993 after being stuck by a police car as he walked across a street. :-(

You can see a small glimpse of Derrick at around 1:12 in this video. I also attached a few photo's and how beautiful his stone is.

God Bless ya bud!  :beer:

"Wire: 1989-1995" part 1 Small | Large

Here is another small video of Derrick.
http://neflat.kieranchapman.net/media/videos-old/derrickcottrell.shtml

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 02:20:18 PM by VerticalSmile »

Re: In Memory of Derrick Cottrell.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 01:46:58 AM »
Thanks for doing this Mark!

Derrick was one of the best riders of that totally awesome NH series, and I consider myself to have been there..it may sound cheesy, but I seriously hope my kids find a hobby like bmx.

Too many good memories!

Offline ruedogg8

• Cliffhanger
  • Do it while you can!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 02:31:16 AM »
That's one of the coolest headstones I have ever seen, great way to keep his memory alive!!!

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 02:49:14 AM »
R.I.P. 
Yes, very cool headstone.  :mellow:

Offline ruedogg8

• Cliffhanger
  • Do it while you can!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 02:49:59 AM »
That is the coolest headstone I have ever seen, Great Way to keep his memory alive!
BTW, Great video even without music!

Offline Mark McGrade

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 02:52:47 AM »
Hey thanks guys I just wanted to pay some respect to one of our fallen brothers. :beer:
When I first joined this Forum I did a search for his name and there was nothing mentioned about him, that made me real sad.
Now if someone searches out his name they will find this thread.  :mellow:
Derrick was such a great person & rider I just had to tell you guys about him. He put so much dedication and sweat into Flatland for it all to be taken in a split second. If there is a Heaven I'm sure he's up there spinning cross footed Hitchhikers! :beer:

Offline ruedogg8

• Cliffhanger
  • Do it while you can!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 02:58:21 AM »
Nothing wrong with that. We should have a riders memorial somewhere anyway, I'm sure there are others!

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 03:34:03 AM »
I heard a lot about his headstone but never saw it...thanks a lot Mark!

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 05:43:30 AM »
Very cool of you to post this, Mark.   The link he does in that first video is awesome.  That's what I call bustin out! 

R.I.P to all of our brothers in riding that we have lost.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 05:46:54 AM »
Hey Mark, I tried to watch the second video with the link, and it came up 'plug-in error'.   Anyone else have this problem...or can you fix it. 

Also going to have to check out the New England site...cool. 
"A puppet no more!"

Offline Tommy Point

• Forkglider
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 06:02:03 AM »
Not long ago, I watched some old tapes of King of Flat, including footage of Derrick. As a kid who was several years younger than Derrick, I didn't know him personally, but I always admired his skill during various NE flat events, and I'm sure his peers felt the same way. He was one of those people with a real presence. His riding from those days is still incredible--multiple x-footed whiplashes in 88/89. R.I.P.

Offline hmcoleap

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 06:39:23 AM »
Just found this thread, and i know it has been quiet for a while, but i feel compelled to post...

I used to live in Raymond, but went to school in Another town.  I didn't know many kids in town, but I used to ride down to the school to practice flatland in the summer and on weekends - Derrick was there practicing a lot of the time, too, so we rode together quite a bit.  I had a Hutch Trick Star and knew some tricks, but Derrick was on a different planet as far as skill; his pink Hutch Windstyler was meticulously tight, and his brakes worked better than any bike I ever rode.  He was always really nice to me, despite the fact I was nowhere near as good a rider.  I lost touch with him when I left for college. 

When I saw that cross with his name on it on the side of the road one day as I came back to visit my parents in '93, my heart dropped. 

It wasn't until I saw his headstone later that I found out we both shared the exact same birthdate.

I recently built a couple of Trick Stars (one regular 20", and a custom 22") and I have been riding them almost every day - I often think back to those days in the parking lots, riding with Derrick.

Miss you, brah.

Offline hmcoleap

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 06:42:43 AM »
Thanks for this thread, I did just that searching for Derrick's name and I was really happy to find someone had already started a conversation about him.   Long live Derrick.

Hey thanks guys I just wanted to pay some respect to one of our fallen brothers. :beer:
When I first joined this Forum I did a search for his name and there was nothing mentioned about him, that made me real sad.
Now if someone searches out his name they will find this thread.  :mellow:
Derrick was such a great person & rider I just had to tell you guys about him. He put so much dedication and sweat into Flatland for it all to be taken in a split second. If there is a Heaven I'm sure he's up there spinning cross footed Hitchhikers! :beer:

Offline back2flat35

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 02:12:38 PM »
rip

Offline hmcoleap

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 03:05:26 PM »
FYI, there is Facebook Group in memory of Derrick here: 

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=101626193562