Author Topic: The Road To Halfpackers  (Read 3472 times)

Offline FlatRob

• Funky Chicken
The Road To Halfpackers
« on: May 23, 2007, 08:46:19 PM »
Hey, guys. Within the past three/four weeks, I've become MUCH greater with my wheelchairs. I can scuff and balance them for a few feet on almost every attempt, which I previously couldn't even get close to doing.

What I want to know now is, how do I make turns? I want to be able to do it for as long as I want, but I always stop when I hit the fence. (I ride in a fairly small fenced in unused lot, next to a bigger lot) And, do I have to sit on the handlebars and keep my body balanced above it?

Now, once I master scuffing the wheelchair, I wish to continue learning the advanced forms, such as the Crackpacker, Elephant Glide, and Halfpacker. Thing is, I'm not sure how to proceed towards it. I'm guessing I should work on the Elephant Glide next, and then work on the crackpacker/halfpacker after that.

Which tricks will ultimately help me learn the elephant glide? I'm thinking that Front Yards/Bar Hops will.. Good idea? Any other tricks? And how do I turn the wheelchair? Is it possible to turn it left?

Never ride backwards into a busy street, kids! :)

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
Re: The Road To Halfpackers
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 09:40:24 PM »
To turn, you sort of lean a little and bring the seat a little bit away from the turn. Like if you're turning right, lean right and bring the seat a little to the left.

Also, you should be sitting down at all. Stand up.

The best thing to help you learn elephant glides are wheel chairs. They feel pretty similar.

Offline D.Demo

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 09:51:13 PM »
To turn, you sort of lean a little and bring the seat a little bit away from the turn. Like if you're turning right, lean right and bring the seat a little to the left.

The best thing to help you learn elephant glides are wheel chairs. They feel pretty similar.
This is Rob. I'm on a friend's account while at his house. I pretty much have Wheelchairs down, so Elephant glides won't be a problem, I guess.

But, how do I get into the elephant glide? I just bring my leg up and bring it over to the side? Wouldn't I fall from the lack of weight on one peg? And, don't you have to go over the handlebars to bring the frame around to the side from behind you?

The only thing that I need to perfect with my wheelchairs is my balancing. Scuffing and holding the position is easy. It's like second nature to me.. I just either lean in too much and the frame falls forwards, or I'm balancing for a few seconds and I fall back. (I easily just get my feet on the floor inbetween the handlebars. It's instinctive at this point..)

So, do I just need to keep practicing? Or may I be doing somthing wrong?
I DID IT FOR THE LOLZ

Offline FlatRob

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 08:50:32 PM »

This is Rob. I'm on a friend's account while at his house. I pretty much have Wheelchairs down, so Elephant glides won't be a problem, I guess.

But, how do I get into the elephant glide? I just bring my leg up and bring it over to the side? Wouldn't I fall from the lack of weight on one peg? And, don't you have to go over the handlebars to bring the frame around to the side from behind you?

The only thing that I need to perfect with my wheelchairs is my balancing. Scuffing and holding the position is easy. It's like second nature to me.. I just either lean in too much and the frame falls forwards, or I'm balancing for a few seconds and I fall back. (I easily just get my feet on the floor inbetween the handlebars. It's instinctive at this point..)

So, do I just need to keep practicing? Or may I be doing somthing wrong?
I posted via D.Demo's account, in case anyone didn't realize it. So, please, someone help me out here. D8

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 05:20:38 AM »
 elephant glide..Lift your peg foot over bars and onto peg..Scuffing foot is still on pedal or back peg..

Lean over/turn bars so you start moving in a circle (counterclockwise if you scuff with right foot.)

Take your hand off the bars,so you can swing your scuffing foot around the bars..Keep hand out for balance.

Start dragging your foot on the tire (not scuffing just put some pressure on it with your foot) and at the same time lean forward and to the left a little bit,your hand out for balance,so the back wheel lifts off the ground..And the back wheel will whip around to your right side,if you twist your body enough.

the hand that is out for balance is the hand that will grab your seat.

While the frame is whipping around,at like the halfway point you have to lean back a little.

I hope my reply makes sense.

Offline FlatRob

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 12:21:23 PM »
elephant glide..Lift your peg foot over bars and onto peg..Scuffing foot is still on pedal or back peg..

Lean over/turn bars so you start moving in a circle (counterclockwise if you scuff with right foot.)

Take your hand off the bars,so you can swing your scuffing foot around the bars..Keep hand out for balance.

Start dragging your foot on the tire (not scuffing just put some pressure on it with your foot) and at the same time lean forward and to the left a little bit,your hand out for balance,so the back wheel lifts off the ground..And the back wheel will whip around to your right side,if you twist your body enough.

the hand that is out for balance is the hand that will grab your seat.

While the frame is whipping around,at like the halfway point you have to lean back a little.

I hope my reply makes sense.
THANK you for helping me.. Gonna try it today. By the way, Ive been trying funky chickens, but the position is kinda weird.. How do I get my right hand on the seat while my left hand stays on the left handlebars? Im gonna rebuy front brakes in a few days, so if I need brakes, it wont be a problem..

Offline Revan23

• Cliffhanger
  • stop raining!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 03:04:05 PM »

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 04:38:51 AM »
I get into elephant glides from a wheelchair by tossing the frame to the right, letting it swing behind me, and catching it as it comes to my left. It's pretty simple since my feet and right hand never really change positions, and I can use brakes.