Author Topic: Aluminum Flatland frames?  (Read 11761 times)

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
Aluminum Flatland frames?
« on: July 13, 2010, 02:30:28 PM »
Are there any Aluminum flatland frames currently being made?  I'm still fairly new to all the modern flatland stuff out there and even on the great intarwubs I am having trouble looking in the right places for info =p  My buddy used to have a P.K. Ripper and it was the bomb -but it seemed to be pretty much a bmx specific frame and I'm sure they are antique and fragile now.  Anyways -I'm just curious since I weigh a whopping 115 and my bike weighs 32lbs -I rode it for years and years and have had tons of fun but just recently dragging it back out to ride, I'm starting to wonder if a much lighter bike really would fit me better.  I'm not interested in ramp riding or anything heavy duty -just occasional scuffing and rolling.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Aluminum Flatland frames?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 02:45:37 PM »
Al cracks quickly. Cromo is better but is often too thin these days, so that cracks too.

Offline HighLander

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 06:39:28 PM »
yeah,from what i read here riders brake the new modern flatland frames easy and fast! I would think if they make a new flat alum frame like the Show or Dragonfly it would maybe last just the same or longer.
One Last Ride.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
The aluminum flatland frame era ended around 2005 when they realized that they could make just as light frames and stronger with cro-mo by just using thinner heat treated tubes.

Offline Havokflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 11:44:37 PM »
i'm surprised no one's put that KGB frame failure pic's up. :rolleyes:
The french don't know Rock & Roll.

Offline b_ron

• GF Inhabitant
    • PbNation
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 12:42:04 AM »
also depends on how hard you ride and how much abuse the frame takes

not all frames that are known to break will break for others
Signing out...

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 11:51:21 AM »
yeah,from what i read here riders brake the new modern flatland frames easy and fast! I would think if they make a new flat alum frame like the Show or Dragonfly it would maybe last just the same or longer.

gt show? not the toughest aluminium frame out there...

dragonfly's submachine and we the people's stud and schwinn's azreal aluminium frames are good and tough - not as light as modern chromoly frames but probly will last as long, if you can find them.

Offline HighLander

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 04:03:41 PM »
Yeah the Show was weak.But i dont think any of those alum frames are worth buying now.I doubt u can find any New in box.
One Last Ride.

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 11:29:57 PM »
 i snapped my show after a year...had an azrael for a while , and it held up but i was always scared of it breaking..ill never use an aluminum frame again

Offline Vic Román

• Cliffhanger
  • RaD!
    • Gorilla Photo Media
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 04:26:42 AM »
i'm surprised no one's put that KGB frame failure pic's up. :rolleyes:
Believe me ,the video of it happening was the first thing that popped into my mind.I`m just to tired to look it up and post it. ;D

"This ain't segregation this is freestyle folks". - Ruben Castillo

Offline Scuffy

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 08:13:06 PM »
You really shouldn't worry about breaking your frame unless you are a really good rider and do some insane tricks that put alot of stress on the frame (like whoppers) or you throw/toss your bike around a lot....or it's just not quality material with quality craftsmanship.
Losers always whine about their best,winners go home and f*ck the prom queen!

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 08:26:43 PM »
I was just curious about Aluminum frames since my bike weighs so much -and I, myself, only weigh 115.  I had a older, more quality aluminum Mongoose MTB that cracked on the head tube but I was informed that older aluminum bikes fatigue and newer stuff is a better alloy.  Either way, if I get back into flatland hardcore enough I may think about getting a new bike and I'd really like to try a much lighter one, although chromoly may simply be just the best way to go with all the opinions on this forum.  Even though I imagine I'd ride fairly light, I would still not want to fear braking my frame over the occasional wreck or heavy trick and I always want he option of trying new things.

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 09:53:18 PM »
Remember, the difference between a "heavy" frame and "light" frame is only a pound or two. 

If you're used to a 32 pound bike, both a 24- and 26- pound bike are going to feel nice and light for you.  Buy a frame you think will last, and just try and save weight on parts where you can.

Offline Vic Román

• Cliffhanger
  • RaD!
    • Gorilla Photo Media
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 05:28:18 AM »
I was just curious about Aluminum frames since my bike weighs so much -and I, myself, only weigh 115.  I had a older, more quality aluminum Mongoose MTB that cracked on the head tube but I was informed that older aluminum bikes fatigue and newer stuff is a better alloy.  Either way, if I get back into flatland hardcore enough I may think about getting a new bike and I'd really like to try a much lighter one, although chromoly may simply be just the best way to go with all the opinions on this forum.  Even though I imagine I'd ride fairly light, I would still not want to fear braking my frame over the occasional wreck or heavy trick and I always want he option of trying new things.
OK.
your starting point is the frame.Most of us swear by 4130 Cromoly for a reason.It` is light and strong.Now you can either choose a "heavy" (5lbs ish) but strong frame and get light but strong parts or if you have "deep pockets" (tons of money) go with a light frame (4lbs or 3. whatever it is).From time to time there's very good frames on sale in the ...for sale section. If you have questions about parts, It`s a good thing to ask on here about them ,most of us can help you out.

Stay away from aluminum it doesn't take a pro to brake it , just a bad weld.Besides it`s a softer metal that they end up using more of it to make a frame and the end result is usually the same as a cromo or Hi-ten frame.Trust me there are better choices. ;D

"This ain't segregation this is freestyle folks". - Ruben Castillo

Offline aikinetic

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 10:06:58 AM »
Is there a reason we dont have any nice titanium frames other than price? Stronger and lighter  ;D