Author Topic: Backpacker to x-footed hitchhiker  (Read 8884 times)

Offline Mario Saldana

• Cliffhanger
Backpacker to x-footed hitchhiker
« on: July 13, 2010, 05:49:01 AM »
can anyone do this? i feel like my feet are too big, i had 4 inch pegs and i recently just got 4.5 rounded pegs and have been practicing this trick, i carve left so i have my left foot on left peg on my toes, and my right foot on right peg but im literally on the edge of the peg on the center of my foot, not the ball of my foot, mainly to have enough room to clear my heal from my fork

when doing this trick, do you literally muscle it? such as you hold the back right peg on your right hand and you force swing it around? and do you force the front wheel to turn with your feet? as in using your ankle and leg muscles to twist the front wheel around? or is it all a momentum thing?

---im just curious if its more leg work?

---or unweighted yourself from the legs and more arm work?

---or neither???? hmmmm
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:50:43 AM by Socal »
IG: mas_xiii

Offline Tweekend

• Backpacker
Re: Backpacker to x-footed hitchhiker
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 02:14:16 PM »
I attempt this switch when I feel like my backpackers are about to bite it.  Definitely an odd one.   I know it's a favourite of Mike S.  Check out his Vans edit, he does a few and they're really clear, so maybe check out his foot placement for an idea on them..??
Sorry I can't help u on this.  Good luck!

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 06:57:57 PM »
Get your X hikers dialed so that you can land them somewhat carved. The pivot itself has to be almost... "light". You can't be grinding the ball of your foot into the peg, and you have to kind of roll your ankle a bit to get out of the way.

Some weird dude came up and filmed me riding then found me on facebook (I don't even know) and sent me this video from a few weeks ago when I was tinkering with it. He stayed for one botched combo then walked off but you can see how I pivot pretty clearly. The ride out from the carve is what always gets me.

TJ PERRY II Small | Large

Offline b_ron

• GF Inhabitant
    • PbNation
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:38:41 PM »
Some weird dude came up and filmed me riding then found me on facebook

ok thats f*cking creepy
Signing out...

Offline Mario Saldana

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 10:17:35 PM »

ok thats f*cking creepy

llololol

I attempt this switch when I feel like my backpackers are about to bite it.  Definitely an odd one.   I know it's a favourite of Mike S.  Check out his Vans edit, he does a few and they're really clear, so maybe check out his foot placement for an idea on them..??
Sorry I can't help u on this.  Good luck!

thanks bro ill look him up

Get your X hikers dialed so that you can land them somewhat carved. The pivot itself has to be almost... "light". You can't be grinding the ball of your foot into the peg, and you have to kind of roll your ankle a bit to get out of the way.

Some weird dude came up and filmed me riding then found me on facebook (I don't even know) and sent me this video from a few weeks ago when I was tinkering with it. He stayed for one botched combo then walked off but you can see how I pivot pretty clearly. The ride out from the carve is what always gets me.

TJ PERRY II

you know what i think i need to have the bike more vertical...

katobmx

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 11:20:37 PM »
I have a strong feeling that SoCal is going to be making a name for himself in future contests.

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 12:12:17 AM »

ok thats f*cking creepy

They had a guy who looked to be in his mid 50's do this at Voodoo during the Am contest in city Park (2007?). He had on an unbuttoned Hawaiian shirt, and what looked like a tv camera. My guess is there was no film in it. Oh, and he seemed to take a big interest in Tyler Gilliard. Yeah, the guy filming was definitely a French Quarter resident.

Offline 5hane

• Backpacker
  • Beginner rider / 7 months
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 12:30:44 AM »
Is this what passes for groupies in flatland  :angry:
It's not about the bike. - Lance Armstrong

Offline Theory

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 12:31:00 AM »
I do mine a bit differently than most. I have really big legs and size 13 feet and I can manage to do this link on 4.5" pegs. It's just a matter of placement of the feet and the motions of the pivot. My feet assist the pivot along with the momentum of the bike going around until it's front of me.

Untitled
from Mark Kuhlmann on Vimeo.

Offline Mario Saldana

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 01:32:13 AM »
I have a strong feeling that SoCal is going to be making a name for himself in future contests.

wow.. thank you so much.. you saying that gave me chills...

I do mine a bit differently than most. I have really big legs and size 13 feet and I can manage to do this link on 4.5" pegs. It's just a matter of placement of the feet and the motions of the pivot. My feet assist the pivot along with the momentum of the bike going around until it's front of me.

Untitled from Mark Kuhlmann on Vimeo.

nice, im glad to see you and Tj nail it cause i know the both of you have large feet too, now i have no excuses ;], thank you!

Offline Theory

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 01:36:27 AM »
If it helps, my left foot is on the ball whereas my right foot is in the middle closer to the heel.

Offline Mario Saldana

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 03:59:59 AM »
If it helps, my left foot is on the ball whereas my right foot is in the middle closer to the heel.

yeah i believe i have good foot position, my biggest problem is that i literally jump off the bike when i twist, i cant seem to stay on the pegs, i chicken out

and as in making myself lightweight, i try to do a very ultra small hop with my feel to help unweigh it, i just need to stay on the pegs, very uncomfortable feeling, of course with time ill get it
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:03:58 AM by Socal »

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 04:03:44 AM »
small feet here. have rode it for like 2 feet and then bars hit. fun to try though

Offline Mario Saldana

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 04:30:48 AM »
small feet here. have rode it for like 2 feet and then bars hit. fun to try though

im gonna go and ride right now, ill try not to chicken out  :l

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 05:18:17 AM »

yeah i believe i have good foot position, my biggest problem is that i literally jump off the bike when i twist, i cant seem to stay on the pegs, i chicken out

and as in making myself lightweight, i try to do a very ultra small hop with my feel to help unweigh it, i just need to stay on the pegs, very uncomfortable feeling, of course with time ill get it

You really need to be able to do x footed hikers in order to do this and ride out.