Author Topic: tree spline sprocket  (Read 2125 times)

Offline jerr6

• Cliffhanger
tree spline sprocket
« on: June 30, 2010, 10:33:23 PM »
anybody have one of these? did it slide over the spindle easy or was it super tight like mine? i had to use so many spacers on the sprocket side that the chain doest line up right. it works but im not as excited about it as i thought id be. i think i should of heated up the sprocket first then slide it over. yes i used grease

Offline SIN

• GF Inhabitant
Re: tree spline sprocket
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 10:42:30 PM »
i had to tap mine in with a socket and hammer on one of my newer spindles, on another used spindle it went on a bit easier...

it is a nice design and you should be very happy with it... im using mine on a set of magtanium cranks as ive heard that most of them break at the sprocket bolt... using the tree i wont have to worry about it.

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 10:54:50 PM »
I have one... it's awesome, but even with liberal amounts of anti-seize on install, I'm pretty sure I'd have to pound the hell out of it to get it off my Ti spindle; it doesn't budge AT ALL. I bought a 7/8" steel pipe specifically to slide over the spindle and slam with a mallet if I ever need to remove it. Definitely worth it though for spacing and not having to use the sprocket bolt anymore.  ;D

Offline ne- stone

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 10:55:40 PM »
well,when its brand new its a little hard to insert and slide on the splines, but as you use it the sprocket will get in easier.

I also use it in my magnatanium cranks and because the spindle is TI the sprocket goes through much easier after couple of times of removal.

Try to remove some of your SPACERS from the other side of the cranks to line up the chain,otherwise it will wear out the COG or the sprocket much faster

ride on

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 12:27:56 AM »
I just had a major problem with this very same thing and it was due to the type of spindle I was trying to put it on. It simply would not go all the way on to my FSA brand titanium spindle because stupid FSA doesn't cut the 48 splines on the spindle to the same depth all the way along (i.e. its shallower about half way down). If your spindle has crappy shallow splines half way down it probably won't work. I got it to work on a genuine profile ti spindle from magnutanium cranks fine because the splines on it are machined deep all the way down. If you try to force it you may damage the sprocket or spindle or both.
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.

Offline jerr6

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 01:30:21 AM »
ya that might be it. fsa spindle. i ll switch later and see if it works. thanks!!

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 10:17:55 AM »
Same with mine. They are extremely difficult to install and remove from spindles. Its not the sort of part you want to change around too often.  :P

Offline jerr6

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 02:43:37 PM »
Ya I don't want to change it cause it's gonna suck. But I'll give profile spindle a shot besides now it's way off alignment.

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 06:55:40 PM »
I just had a major problem with this very same thing and it was due to the type of spindle I was trying to put it on. It simply would not go all the way on to my FSA brand titanium spindle because stupid FSA doesn't cut the 48 splines on the spindle to the same depth all the way along (i.e. its shallower about half way down). If your spindle has crappy shallow splines half way down it probably won't work. I got it to work on a genuine profile ti spindle from magnutanium cranks fine because the splines on it are machined deep all the way down. If you try to force it you may damage the sprocket or spindle or both.

I'm running the FSA Ti spindle as well, and that's exactly what happens; doesn't slide on past a certain point. My cranks come loose constantly because of that too... guess you get what you pay for.  :angry:

jm

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 07:01:40 PM »
I got one of these when they came out; used with a Profile Ti spindle and zero problems. I couldn't love it more.

Offline SIN

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 07:34:40 PM »
besides running the sprocket on my flat bike that im running with magtanium cranks, profile ti spindle... on my TerribleOne street bike im running a 25t on a GHD profile spindle with no issues in the stret department  ;D :beer: