Author Topic: Front hub problems  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Corrupted account

• Funky Chicken
Front hub problems
« on: June 16, 2010, 07:29:58 AM »
Alright so my front hub is really messed up now. Something happened to it and I can't get the axle nuts back on. Something is seriously wrong.  I took it to a local bike shop and they couldn't figure out what was wrong either. So, I'm going to get a new axle for it. I was wanting to know what axle to get and if I even can get one. It is the front axle of the stock KHE militant FF. It's a 10mm axle. Is there any unsealed axles I could get. Is there anything else to look for when searching for a new axle? Or am I SOL and have to buy a new hub. Also, my front tire is so worn that I am seeing threads in it.  Any good tires out that I should get? Thanks for your help.
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. — Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Front hub problems
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:47:41 AM »
can't help with the  front hub without pixs, and khe bikes n products aren't real popular over here in s.e. asia sooo....

tires:
depend on the surface type of your riding spot: tar/blacktop, concrete or polished marble/granite/ceramic tiles.

tar/blacktop: hard compound tires - acs true, odyssey frequency g p-lyte or the odyssey elm street.

concrete/polished marble/granite/ creamic tiles: arestic soft for front/ hard for rear if your tricks are front-wheel based (tried them on friend's bike, awaiting my shipment); odyssey frequency g tan walls (heard they are good, have not tried it); primo comets (tried them, don't over inflate them-strictly 100psi), khe macs - heard too much horror stories, couldn't justify the cost of the kevlar type for the lifspan of tires

hope that helps...

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 04:50:30 PM »
Alright so my front hub is really messed up now. Something happened to it and I can't get the axle nuts back on. Something is seriously wrong.  I took it to a local bike shop and they couldn't figure out what was wrong either. So, I'm going to get a new axle for it. I was wanting to know what axle to get and if I even can get one. It is the front axle of the stock KHE militant FF. It's a 10mm axle. Is there any unsealed axles I could get. Is there anything else to look for when searching for a new axle? Or am I SOL and have to buy a new hub. Also, my front tire is so worn that I am seeing threads in it.  Any good tires out that I should get? Thanks for your help.

A 26 tpi unsealed axle is what you need. Any good bike shop will have them. The Standard Freecoaster axle we sell at flatlandfuel is the strongest replacement axle for your front hub.
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
alright, when I get my paycheck next, I will order this stuff up. Thanks for the help guys.
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. — Martin Luther King Jr.

pucker22

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 03:31:10 AM »
I can't really help unless you show some pics, but right off the bat I reckon it could be threaded which wont fit, unless the inside of the hub itself is threaded.

Anyway you would need some Axle studs such as:-
http://billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=hukh-studs

In 10mm.

Alloy is best imo, cheap and strong and not a smash to the wallet.

Concerning tires, I recommend the elm street or freq g's for street type surfaces and khe mac 1 for slick smooth surfaces. 

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 03:34:50 AM »
sorry I don't have a camera, but my friend does. I'll see if he'll let me use it when He gets back. Also, my dad thought he could fix it...and I guess.... he took a drill to it and got the wheel back on my forks so I don't know if I can get a picture of the axle but, I'll try.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 04:09:15 AM by Corrupted account »

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 12:28:37 PM »
sorry I don't have a camera, but my friend does. I'll see if he'll let me use it when He gets back. Also, my dad thought he could fix it...and I guess.... he took a drill to it and got the wheel back on my forks so I don't know if I can get a picture of the axle but, I'll try.

better get pixs...if you need a drill to get a wheel on a forks...yikes!!

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 02:24:17 AM »
it took some getting but I took off the front hub axles.  I left it there for like a day, waiting for my friend to come back so I could use his camera. I got really anxious to ride my bike so I regreased the bearings put it back together and the axle nuts went on and off smoothly, how weird is that. Before you couldn't even budge them more than 2 cm on the axle. So now, I just need new tires for my front and back so I don't have to run an old wal-mart tire.

Offline Lotlizard

• Backpacker
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 03:30:54 AM »
  If you took your bike to a bike shop and they couldn't diagnose the problem, PLEASE never go back there........

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 06:12:51 PM »
yeah I am definitely not going back to that bike shop.

Offline broke_khe

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 04:44:49 AM »
Yeah , My primo n4 cone nuts stripped and now the thing is useless and i only had it on for like a month. $50 for nothing :angry: