Author Topic: 1990 GT Performer restore almost done  (Read 13194 times)

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
Re: 1990 GT Performer restore almost done
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 01:23:22 PM »
yeah, the white tec77's were rare even bitd, unless one had the means to mail order from trends or dans, the local bike shops only stock the black/polish version.

by the way, if you are looking for the o.g gt stem and the fsa/gt epoch 1" headset pm me, i know where to get some...

kelvin

Offline sirbrad

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 04:55:58 AM »
Well I got it done finally and it is great overall. I took some pics towards night where the paint seems to start to glow, although it is a little over-exaggerated since it was getting dark out. I will take more with sun for hopefully a more accurate color. But as you can see it not pink although I would not mind it. Some small issues are the handlebars moved when pretty tight which is probably from both the stem and the handlebars being painted, although I tried to sand the handlebar down as much as possible and even tried to scrape it off. Some was left though as I have limited tools and no work area really. I might try some paint thinner to get all the paint off so the grooves show more. I lubed the bolts up and they went tighter and the bars have not moved so far but I want to be sure they won't.

I also hate side pull brakes because eventually they always start rubbing on the weaker side, or stay pulled in. Any remedies for that? I used to tighten the calibers more but then the brakes would not work right or stay closed on the rim. They also get messed up if I step on the cable raised up near the seat. But I made sure that there was only minimum slack and I know they stretch eventually. Another issue too is that I like the stem all the way down and the seat medium height, and my hand will get caught if I do not keep it hugging the grip toward the brakes. I have the bar going just above the seat so that I can catch it with the seat. I also have the seat as far back as the guts will go and that made it really hard to tighten it and to get a wrench into the bolts. I had to use a screw driver to bend the seat out being I have only a small adjustable and not sure if I have any flat little wrenches anywhere.

But I now the Dominator seat went back further and I will be using that for riding because it is bigger and more comfortable. Cushion seats feel great to ride but I don't like the lack of grip and weight of them. But overall it turned out great and I love it. I just took it to the bike shop for the cranks being I have no grease, and wanted to be sure they were done right being that I never installed 3-piece cranks, and it looks like they did not even need the adapter and said the one that came with the set worked. So I got the adapter here and there is no play at all, they are solid. Strange. Some people did tell me though that a 22MM would work on its own. So far it seems to be. I hate a lot of brake issues with my Haro over the years also, but the back brakes were better because I had 990 mounts on the bottom. But these brakes work great so far with no slip, only problem is keeping the pads from rubbing which I had with my other bikes too. I run them pretty close to the rim so maybe that is why?

I only took 3 quick pics, tomorrow will be polishing up the chrome and cleaning it up. I hate how all the white gets dirty so fast. You should have heard all the compliments I got and a lot of hot chicks saying "we love your bike color" lol. Also people asking where they can get the same exact bike, they have no idea lol. Took me over a year to get all the right parts and now I can live my dream of owning it 27 years later. I got used to it pretty quickly and I like the curve in the bottom tube better for more room, and I am glad those frame stands like on my Haro are not there. I need to add the seat post sticker now and will be taking more pics tomorrow in the sunlight. Was a fun, expensive, and frustrating project, and well worth it.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 11:39:49 AM »
sweeet- really nice bike. your bike's paint job definatly "glows" off my computer screen. :beer:

Offline sirbrad

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 02:23:09 AM »
Thanks. Yeah it really glows at night must be glow in the dark paint lol. Powder coat looks alot better but seems to scuff really easily. I had to stop wearing black shoes and where white soled since black seems to scuff it. I want white grip tape anyway as I need it for pegs and the frame being that the powder is kinda slippery. But I did not get for display only as I would not be able to take not riding it sinc I wanted one for 23 years. I might get another one or build another one up to save on the wear of just one. I only do flatland though and never crash hard. I  used to always sacrifice my body for my bike but it catches up with you.

Offline sirbrad

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 03:40:08 AM »
I did not have time to get pics today plus I noticed my back tire was flat, not sure how that happened. The GT tired say 35lbs and I am used to 50 but I only put in 40 and the front was alright, weird. I took a few at night with flash for fun, looks slightly more orange than it is, it is actually neon red/orange more. At least I don't need reflectors at night lol. Will get day pics all around soon.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 01:23:29 PM »
Have you thought about using u-brakes with some brake plates?

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 12:54:31 AM »
gah dang that is so fresh!  hail yeah for the pink too -my best friend had a flo pink gt pro performer too, ah the memories...

Offline sirbrad

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 04:51:01 AM »
Yeah I looke dinto the plates awhile ago but decided against it. I forget all the reasons but I asked about them on the forums and they said about issues with them moving or something. I think I got them pretty dialed in now and I adjusted and retightened them so the pads are not rubbing as of now, hopefully they stay that way.

Offline sirbrad

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2010, 03:05:27 AM »
Took some pics around 11 am in the sun, background still is throwing the color off slightly, not quite that orange but close, a little more red. Might try against a fence later. Only thing that sucks about all that white is it greases up and gets dirty fast, and powder coat seems to not be as tough as I said before. But I always wanted this as a rider so that is going to happen. Just sucks when it is so nice new and then gets scuffed and dirty after all that time and money. One day I might have to do one for display only but these are meant to be ridden! I will be switching the seat to a new white dominator too as it is longer and easier to sit back to spin the bars around. That seat is killer enough on the butt let alone this little GT one. The guts also go back further on the Dominator as it is longer. The soft seats are great for riding but I don't like the lack of grip and they can tear easily and are a lot heavier. I loved how my old Mirra looked on my Haro though.

Offline sirbrad

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 01:35:01 AM »
Took some more pics at the park today for my first time out riding flatland, and with my new dominator seat which is a lot easier on the back then that little GT one. Rides great too.

Offline tylerlong

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2010, 02:08:00 AM »
man thats sick.
nice job man!