Author Topic: 1990 GT Performer restore almost done  (Read 13244 times)

Offline sirbrad

1990 GT Performer restore almost done
« on: June 14, 2010, 04:14:08 AM »
Well this is about a week or two from being complete finally. I just finished up decals for the first time ever and they turned out great for the most part, had a small air pocket in the big one on the frame that would not come out even after using water and soap and reapplying it etc, but it is good enough as it is going to be my rider anyway. I always wanted this type of GT so I made a 1990 one into this and you can see pics of the old look in the links. This is a florescent neon orange/red with white underneath with is a day-glow orange. Would have been done by now but I have to keep sanding everything down so the parts will fit. I had a heck of time getting the levers to fit and seatpost, not got to sand down the top of the seat tube so the clamp will fit. I tried to get all old-school parts but had to go some new school because I could not find anymore or always got outbid. So it is a mix. As I said it will be my daily rider anyway so that is cool. Will get better pics outdoors when complete.

The old look was pretty good too and it was a great survivor but I always wanted a GT this color so I made it happen since that is the only GT I foound at the time locally. Took over a year to get all the parts together that I wanted. I wanted white hubs too but did not find any or any that I could use or afford. Can't wait for it be all together. Thanks to all who helped out with questions also to make this possible.  :)   

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php?showtopic=27031492&st=15&gopid=987548&#entry987548

Original thread with a lot more pics of the old paint and decals.

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
Re: 1990 GT Performer restore almost done
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 10:47:44 AM »
lol looks like a perfect bike for a little girl now  :P

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 10:51:25 AM »
cool stuff! props for the dedication.

are the white tect 77 og paint? japanese or taiwan version?

nothing wrong with flo.pink - andrew faris rode pink bikes too - colour doesn't make the man...

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 11:02:30 AM »
i wouldn't ride an entire pink bike even if everyone did.

regardless, great recovery!

Offline fatninja

• Forkglider
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
My best friend had this bike. Full pink performer. I dig it. His was probably an 87 though.

moncho

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 02:48:43 PM »
Loving it sirbrad  :beer:!

Please post pics of the complete when you're finished.

Offline 5hane

• Backpacker
  • Beginner rider / 7 months
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 07:42:51 PM »
Oh man this looks so much like my bike I had when I was about ten. Remember when I brought it home my dads response "PINK? PINK!"  Ahh the eighties.
It's not about the bike. - Lance Armstrong

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 08:28:13 PM »
Cool, my friend BITD had one in Fluro Pink too. Faded quick in the Fl. sun though.

Offline canaryrx8

• Backpacker
  • OG Flat is where it's at!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 11:48:25 PM »
awesome dude, one more older bike saved from being trashed, nice work!

Offline Stubbleduck43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 01:11:41 AM »
That reminds me of my '87 PFT I had in '87.

Offline megarawdeal

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 01:47:52 AM »
gayglow pink is my favorite gt color. ;D

Offline hardrocker950

• Forkglider
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 02:29:49 AM »
Nice work man. I dig the ride! I remember when I was younger, and I begged my parents to get me one for my b-day and the wouldn't :(. Recently I had the same idea after finding out that a friend has one that is just sitting around doing nothing ;D

:beer:

Offline sirbrad

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 03:23:34 AM »
Thanks all. Yeah it is actually not pink it is florecent day glo orange/red the lighting only makes it look that way, same way that Day glo pink looks orange/red in pics which is what I went for. The 3rd pic down is more accurate. I was going to do pink for the vintage look but I loved how pink looked florescent red/orange in pics so I went with that. I also seen ones that color actually. Here is an old pic that is closer to the color with a lower end camera.

And here is almost exactly the color in these pics of other's restores.

That one with Martin was my main motivator. I assume they are pink but look that color. I just like that color better than pink but I may do a day glow pink one day as I believe any real man has no problem riding a hot pink GT. But you if you are insecure about your masculinity, well then you would have issues. IF it was good enough for Martin  and Eddie it is good enough for me. Once old-chool always old school. I don't care for the new frame styles today or the riding either as it lacks showmanship and style. How many times can you turbine on a front tire before you get bored? Old-school will live forever. This will turn some heads.  ;D  I already cant stop looking at it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:29:47 AM by sirbrad »

Offline megarawdeal

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 05:20:12 AM »
There's a guy in my town named Lou who paints a ton of old school frames. He can recreate damn near any color imaginable. In fact, he paints frames for people all over the world. I love the older bikes... but I can live without the tuxedo t-shirts and the interpretive dance bar rides. 

Offline sirbrad

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 05:49:02 AM »
Cool. Yeah will post outdoor pics when done maybe some in action too later. I got the lever from porkchop which are Dia Compe and power coated I believe, and I had a heck of time getting them on too with both the bars and levers being powered. I was going to get NOS but they look about the same and these were about 50% cheaper. I had a good old white Gyro too but it was a little knicked up and te thread holes a little bent, great survivor but I decided to go mostly all new parts. But the newer Gyros only came in black and chrome which works, and I might paint one white someday along with the hubs. But for now this all looks great anyway. It is mostly day glow and white with a little bit of black here and there. Should be sick when done.