Author Topic: tubes  (Read 7229 times)

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
Re: tubes
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 05:20:59 PM »
TJ, they've been working fine in my bikes for years.  I have them in my mountain bikes, my tall bike(especially good in this bike, as I was having to take the chain off to change a flat) and my street/ramp/dirt BMX bike.  I don't ride em in my flatland bike...but I don't see why they wouldn't work. 

But yeah...patch kits work too, if you know how to put them on correctly.  It's amazing to see how many people that don't know how to patch a tube properly.  People bring them in to the bike shop I work at, and I just have to show them how to do it themselves. 
"A puppet no more!"

Offline hijito

• Backpacker
  • Korosu!
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 05:58:19 PM »
buy a patch kit and carry a pump with you. I have very light pump that can do 160psi. this way your session is never ruined.
also you can check the pressure every session you go out.

its aluminium and very light, although the handle snapped (I replaced it with a wooden stick.)

Offline AK

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 07:28:58 AM »
TJ, they've been working fine in my bikes for years.  I have them in my mountain bikes, my tall bike(especially good in this bike, as I was having to take the chain off to change a flat) and my street/ramp/dirt BMX bike.  I don't ride em in my flatland bike...but I don't see why they wouldn't work. 

I think the high psi of a flatland tire would just blow it out

patches work great I cant even remember the last time i bought a new tube, mine has like 20 patches on it..

jm

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 02:27:27 AM »
for you guys that have stems getting sliced all the time and no tools, here's a tip I got from Dave years ago that works like a charm:

cut 1" square out of a dead tube and right in the center cut an 'X' in it. line the X up with the hole in the rim and push the valve stem of the new tube through it. what this does is cover up the sharp edges of the rim and protects the valve stem from getting cut.