Author Topic: 2 questions  (Read 7001 times)

Offline dereketheRED

• Funky Chicken
  • Derek
2 questions
« on: May 17, 2010, 07:07:30 AM »
My first is about pumping helium into tyres to lighten them up, has anyone tried this and does it make much of a difference?

Second is about fixing inner tubes: the only repair kits I have found come with tyre levers. I have more of these than I need! Is there some sort of large bottle of that liquid rubber used for patching tyres that you can buy separately? Don't want to waste my money on lots of patch kits when they only come with about 10 patches.. I just want to use cut up innertubes and buy a large bottle of that rubber because it works fine.

Cheers.

Offline Pat

• GF Inhabitant
Re: 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 07:17:39 AM »
one, no. and two, no. pumping helium into tires does nothing, well actually does little more than make them deflate faster due to them being smaller particles (i think? idk i f*ckin hate chemistry). just use regular air or whatever you like to call it  :mellow: i have used nitrogen, at least thats what i think it was (whatever comes in a welding tank) and that held just fine till i got a new pump, but i didnt seem to notice any difference whatsoever.

and second, i would say just go to walmart and drop a few bucks on a tube. those fix kits are not really necessary, might as well just buy a new tube. for the price of those patches and rubber glue stuff, you could probably buy yourself enough tubes to last years, and also wouldnt have to worry about a bunch of excess gunk in there anyway
SLOflatlander-Central Coast California Flatland

Offline dereketheRED

• Funky Chicken
  • Derek
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 07:26:10 AM »
Oh ok. That would make sense about them deflating faster..

I was wondering if I can buy a big bottle of the rubber glue from somewhere.. because I have about 6 tubes with small punctures in them that I could recycle. Cutoffs from other tubes work fine as patches for me. I have heard though that the reason it comes in small tubes is that it solidifies quickly..?

Offline Pat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 07:34:57 AM »
well when i was a kid we used to use that green slime stuff on our inner tubes, but to be honest i dont think they'd be too good for flatland. would cause all sorts of wheel truing problems, and uneven distribution of weight, and everytime you let air out of the tire it would shoot out and get everywhere (thats what she said). but that was just me though, most likely i just put too much in. plus, i would imagine that patched tubes would be more likely to pop at high pressure than new tubes. you could always go to the local hardware store or whatever and see what they got

pucker22

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 11:35:31 AM »
Pumping helium will make your bike float in the air....im all for loosing weight but this is insaine!!! :O

HAHA! xD

I dont use repair kits for innertubes, I just get new tubes, because the patch never sticks on their and I end up loosing air again and its just annoying as hell  :angry:

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 01:21:13 PM »
i think my front wheel has about 5 patches on the inner tube and i can pump it as much as i want.

my local bike shop sells me glue or patches seperatyl so it works out great, try finding out if you can do something similar.

but the weight of the patches is killing me!  ;D

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 02:24:29 PM »
Pumping Nitrogen into your tyres will stop them deflating as quick... Formula 1 racing teams use Nitrogen in their tyres to help keep pressure during racing... Not that this would help for flatland, but just a bit of useless knowledge for you :P

Offline Pat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 01:41:45 AM »
oooh i was right  ;D

Offline sbroflatland

• Cliffhanger
  • ga_goosh
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 01:44:54 AM »
about the slime stuff that comes with the patches i have used rubber cement before. i have even made my own patches out of old inner tubes that are not fixable.

Offline b_ron

• GF Inhabitant
    • PbNation
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 02:18:19 AM »
Pumping Nitrogen into your tyres will stop them deflating as quick... Formula 1 racing teams use Nitrogen in their tyres to help keep pressure during racing... Not that this would help for flatland, but just a bit of useless knowledge for you :P

isn't the air mostly nitrogen anyways?
Signing out...

Offline smartypants

• Hitchhiker
    • Gaasracing
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 02:32:26 AM »
like 78.08%  lol

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant

Offline hateit

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 07:53:40 PM »
I put helium in my tires and watched my bike float off into the sunset, never to be seen again.

Helium in tires is cool, and making funny voice is a major plus.

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 12:49:56 AM »
oooh i was right  ;D

Indeed, although i thought welders used c02/argon mix? anyhow :P