Author Topic: nankai freecoaster problems  (Read 5639 times)

Offline zach

• Backpacker
nankai freecoaster problems
« on: May 10, 2010, 04:03:24 AM »
hay I'm having issues with my  nankai freecoaster  I got all the stuff to go freeball and built it up like I allways do and it does not roll smoothly. I have use the info on here and still can not get it right. I use a profile shell.  any help would be great!

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
Re: nankai freecoaster problems
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 04:24:05 AM »
I always had problems with Nankais. Maybe just buy a new hub if you have the $$$.

Try looking at each bearing individually as well as inside the shell where the bearings roll. Some may actually show visible wear marks when you clean off the grease. If so, they will need replaced. Your hub may also act like s#%t if the axle is even somewhat bent. I've always hated Nankai.

Offline zach

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 03:15:51 PM »
it a brand new axel and the bearing are also new. I will take it apart and try it with cage in the driver and let u guys know. Thanks for the help

Offline zach

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 07:25:15 PM »
hay so I put a cage bearing on drive side and in driver and loose in the non drive side it spins fine but when I pedal for a while when I let off it makes a small poping noise I just put a beand new spring in it any help please!!

Offline AddisonM

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 08:38:09 PM »
my advice to you is to take that abomination of modern anti-ingenuity and throw it off the highest building in your city. They only get worse.
I'd rather have AIDS than buy another Nankai.

Offline JoeyBuksar

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 08:45:56 AM »
i had this problem with my bamboo, when pedaling it would sound like the spring stretching then popping back....could never fugure it out...my khe reverse started with the same issue, my geisha doesnt.....either the spring needs to be broken in, or I use to much grease ...I have no idea, good luck with finding a solution...i never had an answer to fixing this problem when posting here...

My only answer is to break the spring in...I feel as if it over stretches, then pops back...

Budz

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 10:49:03 AM »
my advice to you is to take that abomination of modern anti-ingenuity and throw it off the highest building in your city. They only get worse.
dont throw it off a building...give it to me. ;D
i will give all your unwanted Nankai hubs a good overhaul and home. :wub:

Offline flatriderbmx

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 07:18:41 PM »
nanaki is the greatest freecoaster out there just learn to properly maintain it and it will pay you back  ! ;D i dont know whats wrong with your freecoaster maybe you should go to a bike shop and see what they think about it

Offline Lotlizard

• Backpacker
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 07:34:53 PM »
^^^ Most bike shops don't even know what a freecoaster is lol..... Was the hub fine before rebuilding it or was it a fresh build?? If it did not spin smoothly did you loosen the cones a little bit????

Offline flatriderbmx

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 09:47:45 PM »
ya i agree bike shops all they mostly know about is street half the employes are street riders but the bike shop i go to they handle bikes good and the guy that repared my bike used to ride flatland in the 80"s ( well who did not )

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
    • My Art For Free & For Sale
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 09:44:40 PM »
nanaki is the greatest freecoaster out there just learn to properly maintain it and it will pay you back  ! ;D i dont know whats wrong with your freecoaster maybe you should go to a bike shop and see what they think about it

most everyone replying on here is insane except this person, except don't go to a shop, just look at the online manual from flatland fuel.  http://www.wtlw.net/ff/taska/nankai.html

I have been running my nankai wihought bearing cages for god, maybe 5 years now and it still runs smooth as butter.  Just have to clean everything up every now and then.

when i put each ball bearing in i put a small dab of grease in between each ball as i put each one in to hold it in place.  You have to be very careful that none of them move when your putting it together.  It's very easy for just 1 bearing to get knocked out of line or even fall out if anything touches it.  You should put each ball side by side all the way around until you get to the last spot, there should be a tiny space, too small for another ball bearing to fit.  This is ok.  It's hard to know exactly what is going on with yours without looking at it.  Even if all the bearings are new, if you have been riding around with it making popping noises or something like that there is a good chance you might have already damages them.  at least they are cheap and you can get a ton at most bike shops.  Just take your time and be very maticulous.  There are a lot of parts that go into making a wheel run smoothly and if you are careless about it, it's sure not to spin as nice as you'd like.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 09:46:33 PM by Gensanity »

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 06:45:25 AM »
I have owned 3 nankis

one I got from fourm member Who Leo - and that one ran good.
but the other 2 were used by other people - and would work like crap always.    here is what I have determined:

1 - the nanki uses that weird little spring
 - whell  its directional ..   and its possible to put it on either way.  only 1 way is correct tho.
so if it is installed wrong - and you ride the bike a bunch like that  - the spring will create nasty wear patterns on that part of the hub and even if you flip it around the right way again - its never ever going to work smothly with out replacing both of those parts.  -  what do you mean work smoothly you ask ?   ghost pedal...   its almost impossible to get rid of on a hub with a worn out spring race and spring...   man I hate ghost pedal.   its soo annoying.

2 - the bearing races of the nanki can suffer from pitting and denting - like if a gorilla tightened up the hub - each ball bearing will crush in to the hub race....  creating slight dimples....    its not horrible but its verry difficult to tune a nanki to spin smoothly with no play side to side when dealing with a hub that is worn / pitted  -  and also the axle race pieces can also wear and pit.  so there is a total of 4 bearing surfaces to check / clean and determine if they are still useable.

set those cone nuts bro....   and tighten them propper....   with the actual cone wrenches.  
I dont care if your ajustable wrench fits on it when the wheel is off the bike.

what needs to happen is you put the wheel on your bike - set the chain tensioners.
tighten up the drive side axle bolt.     spin the wheel.   see if its good - or if the cones need tightning or loosning a little bit.      do it.
only then can you tighten up your non drive side axle nut...  and have a nice working (old / used ) nanki hub.      
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:48:44 AM by brian84corvette »
Old dudes can still rip