Author Topic: Lets talk about TIRES  (Read 22559 times)

Offline flat1ander

• Backpacker
Lets talk about TIRES
« on: May 09, 2010, 07:22:32 PM »
Hey guys, ive been running the primo walls for years now. I feel like its time for me to try a new tread, and since ive been running the walls for so long, i dont really know what other tires are good. Are there large differences in weight when it comes to tires or do they mostly weigh about the same? I pretty much just wanna know what kind of tires you guys are running and what you like about them so any information would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Offline abbydan

Re: Lets talk about TIRES
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 11:56:07 PM »
I've also run walls for like 10 years now. Mostly because they last so damn long even if you're doing a ton of scuffing or spinning.

I recently won some primo comet 1.5's from flatlandfuel and I'm in love with them.  They turbine so much easier than the walls it's ridiculous.  They are also significantly lighter.  I've only had them on a week or two but I can tell they aren't going to last very long.  So if cost effective is your goal that is a bit of a negative point for them.

I would suggest buying a few different brands/sizes of tires and trying them all out to see which you like.  Definitely try out some smaller tires since you've been on walls forever.  To be honest I probably won't go back to walls for a while having run comets.  But that's a personal preference thing.

Tons of people run odyssey freq g 1.75's which is what I want to try next.  There's a ton of different kinds of them though so if someone wants to clarify which to go for that would be cool :)

Offline Mark McGrade

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 12:24:44 AM »
Whatever you do don't do what I just did.
I've been running 1.75's ever since I got back into Flat 7 months ago and I decided to try a set of Frequency 1.85's.
Well they suck, I feel like I'm just getting started all over again!  :angry:
It feels like I'm pushing monster truck tires around, I'm ripping these off asap and going back to 1.75's.
I can't believe how much of a difference this made, crazy!!

Offline flat1ander

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 01:26:40 AM »
Wow so ive been running 1.85's literally my entire flatland career. Im pretty excited to try some 1.75's and see how much better im able to turbine and all.. any other suggestions people?

Offline TheGingerKid

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 09:12:11 PM »
I know I'm bringing a dead post back up but does this mean regardless of what rims I have I can buy tires with different widths????

This may be a revelation to me =P

I've been wanting to move down to skinnier tires but I thought I'd have to save up for new rims and all too.

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 09:25:56 PM »
Whatever you do don't do what I just did.
I've been running 1.75's ever since I got back into Flat 7 months ago and I decided to try a set of Frequency 1.85's.
Well they suck, I feel like I'm just getting started all over again!  :angry:
It feels like I'm pushing monster truck tires around, I'm ripping these off asap and going back to 1.75's.
I can't believe how much of a difference this made, crazy!!

You'll sh*t yourself if you ever try a Comet on the front.

These things are so fast and grippy I cannot physically ride Freq G's on the front anymore. ANY size freq g feels like im riding underwater compared tto a comet.
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline Andrew Tarrant

• Cliffhanger
  • Is back...with a KFC bucket.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 06:38:52 AM »
Anyone tried the primo 1.3? lol
Mechanic is easy, all you need is a hammer and a blowtorch....BURN MOTHERf*ck BURRN

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 12:40:50 PM »
I know I'm bringing a dead post back up but does this mean regardless of what rims I have I can buy tires with different widths????

This may be a revelation to me =P

I've been wanting to move down to skinnier tires but I thought I'd have to save up for new rims and all too.

it depends on what rims you are on now - super skinny like the sun cr's or modern 'street' rims which are on the (slightly) wider side, eg: odyssey hazzard lites, primo 7005 balance, Gsport and such?

i know that ares strongly recomend that you don't run their 'A class' tires on rims that are wider than 1.75s (sun ryno lite/ city lites, old peregrine hp).

using the comets as an example:

the sidewalls on the comets are silly thin, if you run 1.9 comets on sun cr's, you probly get loads of side-to-side play while carving hard. if you try running 1.3 or 1.5 comets on wider rims, you probly will have rim bead popping out while inflating the tires? and the tire won't have a nice round (semi-circle) transitional profile which means it probly sucks while pumping in a circle.

hope that helps

Offline Jason Rideout

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 03:34:32 PM »
I've noticed when I change to a different style/size tire new trick alway open up. Some of your old trick may be difficult at first but after a few days you get use to it. Im running 1.75 frequency g's on Gsport's and I see alot of potential with this combination.
does where's waldo ride a fixie?

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 03:40:08 PM »
Anyone tried the primo 1.3? lol

I bought some awhile back and rode them and passed them onto a friend who's a better rider to also try them. It's kind of like ice skating, but you do get semi-used to it. When going back to normal size tires, the bike feels as stable as a 4 wheeler. it's actually kind of fun from a training standpoint. they are fast and responsive as HELL.

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 05:38:55 PM »
i was always curious about the primo comets but the fact that i have primo balance both front and back which are wide kinda made me hesitant about getting them  :rolleyes:

Offline stuntnuts

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 05:46:45 PM »
I popped one tube and broke two tire levers mounting my used 1.75 Frequency G's on new 7KA rims yesterday. 

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 07:11:48 PM »
I popped one tube and broke two tire levers mounting my used 1.75 Frequency G's on new 7KA rims yesterday. 
exactly haha

1.75 tires are hard enough to put on my rims so 1.5 comets are out of reach

Offline Jason Rideout

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 08:00:45 PM »
ya did the same thing two days ago, had to use 2 tire levers side by side so they wouldn't bend in half.
does where's waldo ride a fixie?

Offline stuntnuts

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 08:13:44 PM »
I'm at a point now where if I get a flat while riding, my day is over......regardless if I have a spare tube, a pump, and tire levers on me. There is no way on earth I could ever change a modern day tire/rim combination in a parking lot.