Author Topic: Lets talk about TIRES  (Read 22725 times)

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Lets talk about TIRES
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 08:28:04 PM »
I popped one tube and broke two tire levers mounting my used 1.75 Frequency G's on new 7KA rims yesterday. 
its your rim and not the tire.
7k are very tall.worst rim ever
I popped one tube and broke two tire levers mounting my used 1.75 Frequency G's on new 7KA rims yesterday. 
ya did the same thing two days ago, had to use 2 tire levers side by side so they wouldn't bend in half.
your rim also.
exactly haha

1.75 tires are hard enough to put on my rims so 1.5 comets are out of reach
nope.its your rim,the primo 1.5 are very easy to fit in a normal rim.
try them on a deviant or a low rim and come and tell me.
do you run 7k also?

Offline stuntnuts

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 08:35:15 PM »
Well....with my new 7KA's I replaced Araya Super 7X's circa 1996 and the Frequency G's were no easier to mount/dismount on those. Still the rim's fault?

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 08:38:04 PM »
Gsport rims as well are bad w/ Frequ. G's. I actually cut off the last one after an hour of cussing and skinning my knuckles trying to get it off. On my Sun rim, no problem.

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 08:46:39 PM »
What are you guys using for rim strips?  If its a thicker rim strip or multiple layers of duct tape THAT is your problem not the tire or rims as much. 

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 08:51:27 PM »
I was using a thin plastic Ody one I believe, nothing wacky.

Offline Andrew Tarrant

• Cliffhanger
  • Is back...with a KFC bucket.
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 09:20:33 PM »
Gsport rims as well are bad w/ Frequ. G's. I actually cut off the last one after an hour of cussing and skinning my knuckles trying to get it off. On my Sun rim, no problem.

I know what you mean, but if you get some beefy tire levers they are real easy and take 5 mins to get off.
Mechanic is easy, all you need is a hammer and a blowtorch....BURN MOTHERf*ck BURRN

Offline stuntnuts

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 09:49:11 PM »
There was a time when any tire came off any rim with nothing more than your thumbs and very little effort......I miss those days.

Offline MICHELE

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 09:57:36 PM »
i have michelen tire levers the yellow one they are flexible but i can take off my g's easily from g sports.
If I ever see a flat rider do a hop-to-wallride, my head would explode.

Offline TheGingerKid

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 11:42:15 PM »
Idk my rim brand or anything :P but measuring them they seem to be an inch and 1/8 wide.

I want to order a pair of freq g's since there's a lot of support for them but want to check first that they will work on my rims.

one last thing, measuring from the outside (aka the part the brake grips to) is 7/8" long so idk if that tells you anything more important about my rims.

thx  :beer:

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 12:00:23 AM »
Well....with my new 7KA's I replaced Araya Super 7X's circa 1996 and the Frequency G's were no easier to mount/dismount on those. Still the rim's fault?
yeap its a tall rim also,same with my hoffman generator.
try on a deviant and you can put it in and out with your hands and no tool, i am sayind deviant as a reference because i use this on the front.other rims are similar also

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 12:49:34 AM »
@13.5"

I run primo balance front and back and getting 1.75 ody Gs isn't fun, i have a way of getting them on *quite* easily but its still a pain...

foldable version is a piece a cake though (of course)

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 02:40:49 AM »
There are always bad combos. Running a shop I saw the worst. Getting Primo V-Monsters off of a Hula Hoop was pretty bad. Getting RL edges on and off Peregrines was cake. The worst ever had to be GT Mega Bite tires (BMX racing tires) on an Araya 7X! That said, never had a tire I couldn't get off a rim eventually.

Of course your horror stories about the 7K-As and Freq-Gs makes me nervous. I was planning on 1.75 Freq Gs once my Lamellos wear out and I just moved to 7K-As. Still will since the best tires I ever rode were ACS RL Edge (which the Freq G was based on), but not looking forward to the problems.

Sight unseen, I vote Freq G's. If they are anything as good as the ACS were bitd, they are worth the annoyance with getting them on and off.
Kids, you only get one face in life - don't spend it on pavement

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 02:50:32 PM »

I know what you mean, but if you get some beefy tire levers they are real easy and take 5 mins to get off.

i use cp plated steel tire levers - they are great to an extend - the metal levers tend to marr the anodizing/ powder coat of the rims, and will make small nick onto the alloy rims if the tire+rim combo is "bad".
i recently had to mount new acs true tires onto a set of mid-school Spin wheels which had walls that were slightly higher then usual, and they were unwelded - sketchy.
follow jellyroll's advice - plenty of vinyl tape/electrician tape on the metal tire levers, it reduces the marring, that said, truly bad rim+tire combo would be triple wall rims with snafu tires!

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 02:57:36 PM »
guys it aint that hard....squeeze the tire bead to the middle of the rim AKA drop-center

and

use a couple screwdrivers. as long as youre careful u wont fck nothin up
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline Tuftybmx

• Forkglider
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 03:52:45 PM »
I took me three times to figure out what I was doing wrong. Freq G 1.75 with Gsport Ribcage.
1: Get all the air out. Folding the tire down with your elbow, etc.
2: Triple check tire is into the center of rim. It will keep popping back into the bead. Then I can do it with one plastic tire lever.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 03:57:18 PM by Tuftybmx »