Author Topic: 2piece bars versus flatland bars  (Read 5732 times)

Offline Pat

• GF Inhabitant
2piece bars versus flatland bars
« on: April 30, 2010, 07:12:30 AM »
so i currently cannot decide between two sets of bars. they're both 8"rise 25ish"wise, one's a wtp helium 2piece, the other is mtf t4. the only difference is the mtf has more room and the 2piece has more sweep. i prefer the mtfs cause of the extra room that i really need and they also seem to fit nicely. the only thing is, my wrists kill me after every session with the mtf's. i didnt have this problem with the 2piece. feels like i have to angle my wrists down more, which hurts and feels awkward, as well as being extremely painful on a fall where i fail to release the bars. i was hoping i'd just get used to the mtf's, but got they just HURT. if i went back to the 2piece, would it not even be worth it due to much higher stepover and far less leg room? AAAHH which is more important, comfort or functionality?
SLOflatlander-Central Coast California Flatland

villetgk

Re: 2piece bars versus flatland bars
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 08:01:15 AM »
I don't know the specs of  the street bars in question , but a lot of now popular street bars have minimal up sweep. Also , you mentioned your riding playing a big factor in your choice of these bars. 

I can give you two options that are currently available. 

1. Talk to Marcel about a custom set of bars that will fill your riding needs. I think he is working on some custom bars for a few people this up-coming week, so now may be your chance.   

2. Odyssey Chase B.S. Bars. 

Hopefully this will give you more insight on trying to find a product that will serve great value for your riding needs.

Something more to think about- what you are currently riding should never change unless your riding changes. 

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 10:44:18 AM »
Another factor to consider is flex.

2pc bars flex alot more than 8pc/6pc etc bars - the extra welds make them really stiff.

This flex is what helps absorb impact for street riders so they don't get sore wrists, and it works the same for flat.

This is why i ride 4pc bars - a perfect balance between space and flex for me.
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline maksymilian

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 12:46:41 PM »
for me the best is odsy four four bar
you have more room than traditional 2pc and feel it like 2pc.
4' upsweep and 12' backksweep

Offline Bodhisattva

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 03:16:34 PM »
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 03:18:17 PM by Bodhisattva »

Offline indyBarber73

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 03:59:12 PM »
Alan Young hooked me up with a set of Shadow Conspiracy bars that are like the best bars I have ever ran,I actually was running the st.martin eian bars for like 2 yrs tried to go back to those just to see how they felt and it was awful compared to the now street type bar I'm rockin.old bars were like 8 inch rise 1 back and up,my new bars are 7 1/2 rise 3 up and 5 back and I'm here to tell ya they are the straight sh*t!!!!!!!!! Thank You AY

Offline sneakflat

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 12:31:52 AM »
the khe a-blast bars look like a nice middle  :mellow:
I say to them its flatland and their like ?!?! :huh: im like  :rolleyes:

Offline b_ron

• GF Inhabitant
    • PbNation
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 02:15:52 AM »
i'd say comfort

if your mtf bars are killing your wrists, there could be permanent damage later on.

for me, i use the st martin eien bars, i like the minimal sweep and rise and they arent killing my wrists. just street bars felt a lot more comfortable

i also have a f*cked up left shoulder so when i try doing tricks, i take in consideration how much strain is applied to my shoulders. when i tried learning hang5's back with my old bike, there were times when my shoulder just locked up from the constant stress. now i'm on a shorter frame with taller bars and they feel a lot more comfortable than before

.. go comfort
Signing out...