Author Topic: khe/fed3ral freecoaster , broke driver bearing!  (Read 9690 times)

Offline broke_khe

• Backpacker
khe/fed3ral freecoaster , broke driver bearing!
« on: April 23, 2010, 10:41:42 PM »
drive bearing snapped in two and sh!t is everywhere Dang-it !
I didn't even ride this thing much, a little street I think I may have put the internal spacer in backwards I didn't realize before i took it off oops... doubtful tho but too late now! axle nuts were stripped :/

Any 1 know if you can ride it with l drive bearing in ? I cant get the outer shell of the old bearing out, it is nothing to hit to get it out the whole middle of the bearing is gone!  Maybe someone has a spare bearing or two?? I'm flat broke

Seems to not grind and stick anymore that I took the broke junk out.  Now there's only one in there I have to take it easy. :( One slam of the back wheel 'm calling it broke 4 good, maybe 2 or 3
Well The back wheel wobbles with ONLY 1 driver bearing instead of the 2 it needs, $20 I need.
Plus the 1 bearing remaining is cracking now so... soon it will diminish as well I fear. :(
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 02:11:00 AM by broke_khe »

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
Re: khe/fed3ral freecoaster
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 05:11:24 AM »
Jesus .................

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 05:48:07 AM »
F#CK these pieces of SH!T

haha but really the non acb versions are terrible about busting driver bearings. Advice to you is buy a couple replacments and start saving for a nankai.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline SNOOP

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 05:54:26 AM »
My Federal is perfect..Couldnt ask for a better...SECOND HAND..freecoaster.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 06:16:04 AM »

haha but really the non acb versions are terrible about busting driver bearings. Advice to you is buy a couple replacments and start saving for a nankai.

I've never broken a driver bearing. I've never even had to replace one.

Offline dereketheRED

• Funky Chicken
  • Derek
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 09:46:37 AM »
How did you break it? Does it break from the lateral pressure from the clutch pressing on the shell or just from landing on it hard? If so is that landing on the tyre or side on - peg on concrete? Maybe you were rolling backwards and pedalled forwards too hard?

I've heard they're very weak laterally..

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 03:22:46 PM »

I've never broken a driver bearing. I've never even had to replace one.

I had to replace the two bearings in the driver, but this only cos i over tightened the axle studs due to my poor knowledge of the hub... Totally side loaded it to the point where the wheel did'nt spin for long.. Live and learn! You can pick up two of those bearing for a few quid

Offline Olds Cool

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 04:15:13 PM »
My Geisha Lite is perfect....very happy with it so far.

Offline Havokflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 04:47:05 PM »
My Federal is perfect..Couldnt ask for a better....freecoaster.
+1
Advice to you is buy a couple replacements
i've changed mine out. it's relatively simple.

good luck!
The french don't know Rock & Roll.

jm

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 05:11:46 PM »
I shelled out the driver bearings after 2 years, but it was an easy fix. I can't complain about the freecoaster at all.

Offline Flo

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 06:17:17 PM »
Hi people, can you plz help me. I've been rebuilding my bike from scratch. It's finished now. So I go and put on the chain and everything works fine but then I pedal backwards to oil the chain and it goes really rough.I have a Geisha Light hub and I can't remember what its suppose to do when standing still and pedaling backwards. Is the chain suppose to block? Run smoothly? Because it does none of that. Take the hub apart again?

Thanks a lot.

Offline Havokflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 11:40:28 PM »
Hi people, can you plz help me. I've been rebuilding my bike from scratch. It's finished now. So I go and put on the chain and everything works fine but then I pedal backwards to oil the chain and it goes really rough.I have a Geisha Light hub and I can't remember what its suppose to do when standing still and pedaling backwards. Is the chain suppose to block? Run smoothly? Because it does none of that. Take the hub apart again?

Thanks a lot.
when pedaling backwards, the chain should run smoothly.
do you have a half-link in a full-link chain? 
try to get your ear down there and really pin point where the noise/problem is
hope that helps some. ;D
The french don't know Rock & Roll.

Offline broke_khe

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 12:38:00 AM »
I see flatland fuel has the driver bearings for 5.99 .  Is that 5.99 for each one?
I need the inner driver bearing I do not know the number because the thing shattered ...
That's 1/4 of the price of the hub for  for two driver bearings  plus shipping
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:49:26 AM by broke_khe »

jm

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 01:39:55 AM »
I paid over $100 for my hub. $6 to salvage it is a deal, not a rip off...just sayin'.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 06:43:26 AM »
$6 per bearing and u need 2... If the chain is making a bad noise and u have a half link chain, try running it with the curvy side facing the sprocket and the fatter end preceding the skinny end As u stand over ur bike about to ride and are looking down.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)