Author Topic: Power Balance, does it work? ( I will be the judge of that)  (Read 30849 times)

xXMattXx

Power Balance, does it work? ( I will be the judge of that)
« on: April 22, 2010, 05:32:50 PM »
I know this power balance thing has got some of us wanting to know the real truth and im willing to lay down $30 for a wristband. I know a lot of us dont believe what some of the guys said over on the videos and  just because flatland pros used it, doesnt mean it works. for all we know they could have been payed to say that stuff. So i will buy one and get back to you guys about this. If anyone on global-flat has one of these or has used one, please shine some light on this thing. I know this wont actually make me a mattias D. in a month, but if it improves my balance, then its worth a go at it. I know this is probably a trick. Once u think about it isn't it better to think it's doing something or nothing at all. A mind trick maybe so. But it is worth a shot so I can at least warn u guys of a big hox.  
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:22:55 PM by Paradoxium »

xXMattXx

Re: Power Blance, does it work? ( I will be the judge of that)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:52:46 PM »
i wish i had a pump wit a gauge on it, but sadly i dont, so i guess.

Offline Havokflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 09:46:35 PM »
i wish i had a pump wit a gauge on it, but sadly i dont, so i guess.
so i guess you need to buy a fncking pump with those little numbers on it. ^_^
The french don't know Rock & Roll.

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 10:49:43 PM »
Yo.... xXMattXx... I also just brought one for a laugh! I thought f*ck it why not! Can't see it working but had a few quid in my paypal account and thought it may be worth a shot!! So i too will post a review on wether this actually works *cough* errr, yeah... :P

Offline Martin

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 11:04:09 PM »
I did those tests the other day. At least those worked for me or let's say I think that I felt a difference between wearing it and not wearing it when doing the tests ..

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 01:26:49 AM »
lol... I just thought of a fun way to try this out! Do a hang 5 or steamroller without it on, then try one with it on! I rekon that could be a good way to test it... ^_^

Offline sneakflat

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 03:53:31 AM »
i think its just one of those things thats in your head. you think its going to help you so its sorta like a confidence booster type of thing.  :huh: :P
I say to them its flatland and their like ?!?! :huh: im like  :rolleyes:

Offline Ginman

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 11:44:31 AM »
i think this is purely psychological. PLACEBO it is..
no matter how you do your testings, you are already aware that it has a "special" balance enhancer stuff..and that will make your judgment different..
i think this stuff is like the ones chinese sell..
those "magnetic blings" that you wear on as a bracelet or necklace stuff..they say it has a therapeutic, anti disease or  anti sickness effect because of the magnetic effect on your blood as it passes on where you put the bling... thats just stupid i think..

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Power Balance, does it work? ( I will be the judge of that)
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 01:58:20 PM »
Matt, fixed the title from blance to balance. ;)

So who uses these wristbands?
This is twice today I hear of strange new discoveries from separate sources. Today I learned of these strange patches.

http://www.energypowerpatch.com/lifewave/faqs.htm

My first thought is always placebo. Basically we believe, so subconciously things happen.
Our mind has so much control over what we do, say, think and heal. Prime examples are seriously ill patients shutting down physically after shutting down mentally, or "giving up."

On one hand, anything magnetic/electromagnetic I am skeptical of, but on the other hand our brain funtions on electromagnetic activity which is no where near fully understood. So I always follow up my own skepticism with 'does it really work and how does it work.'

So these patches communicate through the human magnetic field.

Having just looked up these power balance wristbands made of silicone, I wonder if its a copy of the patches I heard about today.....

I copy/pasted this.

''Optimal health and peak performance occur when your body maintains ionic balance (the exchange between negative and positive charges) and free flowing energy pathways (harmony) at the optimum frequency. […] Power Balance, after years of research and development, has produced a system to safely restore and optimize the electro-magnetic balance within the human body… immediately. Power Balance’s Mylar Holographic Disk (the same substance used to keep static electricity from damaging electrical components) has been imbedded with an electrical frequency that restores your body’s electrical balance, promoting a free exchange of positive and negative ions and align your body’s energy pathways.” Power Balance says of the product.

Sounds similar. I might buy one and see for myself if its mental or physical.

Offline wolfpuppet

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 02:49:50 PM »
The surest way to rule out a placebo would be to do a blind test (no, the rider needn't be blind ^_^). Get two bracelets and cover the areas that show the snake oil, i mean, hologram thingie. But only one bracelet will actually have it.

Rider does the exact same set of tricks wearing one bracelet at a time. A second rider or observer should take note of which bracelet is being worn. After each runs, rider will note how his or her balance felt. Only when both runs have been documented will the 2nd guy reveal which bracelet was worn for which run.

at least that's how the mythbusters would do it.  ^_^

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 03:25:49 PM »
I just bought one on E-bay. The jokes on me.  ^_^

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 03:37:38 PM »
I just bought one on E-bay. The jokes on me.  ^_^

and me....
I still think even if it is a metal thing that pushes you then it sill works! Placebo's prescribed by doctors seem to work even if it is all in the mind! Im an open minded guy so im hoping it will work for me... Who knows :P

Offline riderx

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 05:36:39 PM »
Maybe it's just me.I haven't read the power balance ad.But i believe they are saying it will balance the energies in your body,not increase your balance.My father wore a similar product to help his arthritis.took a couple of weeks but he beieved it helped.

Offline Jason

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 05:52:19 PM »
Those things are sold in the pro-shop at the bowling alley I work at. I tried "the test" which is no different than a martial arts instructor doing the "chi-test" if you ask me......

If you belive that it is helping you than that is the goal behind the product.....I however do not believe as I woul rather purchase an used bike part or used PS3 game with that $30. 
NOR-CAL FLATLAND.  !!WE Bicycles supporter!!

Day Smith Beanies