Author Topic: Bottom bracket question  (Read 1496 times)

Offline 1988

Bottom bracket question
« on: April 21, 2010, 10:19:57 PM »
Question for the group: I'm switching frames and need to pull the bottom bracket out of the old one and into the new one. It's a mid-sized sealed bottom bracket. The bearings are pressed into the frame pretty solid - have been unable to get them out with "regular" force. Anyone have any tips or suggestions before I revert to the old hammer & pipe method? Would really prefer to use the same hardware since it's less than a year old, but so far no luck on trying to remove it normally. Thanks.

Offline sbroflatland

• Cliffhanger
  • ga_goosh
Re: Bottom bracket question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 10:26:07 PM »
try sticking the crank spindle in the bearing and move the crank up and down then left and right. it should walk out slowly. if that doesnt work try and get something solid move the spacer down and out of the way and tap the bearing from the inside.

Offline couch

• Hitchhiker
    • ZodiacEng.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:39:33 PM »
Unfortunately hitting the Inner Race is the only to remove the bearings in the crap system we currently have. If it doesn't budge, hit it harder.

Offline Havokflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 09:14:57 PM »
Question for the group: I'm switching frames and need to pull the bottom bracket out of the old one and into the new one. It's a mid-sized sealed bottom bracket. The bearings are pressed into the frame pretty solid - have been unable to get them out with "regular" force. Anyone have any tips or suggestions before I revert to the old hammer & pipe method? Would really prefer to use the same hardware since it's less than a year old, but so far no luck on trying to remove it normally. Thanks.
use a socket with an extention.  the socket will allow you to hit a bigger area of the race,
helping to prevent damage.
hope that helps. ;D
The french don't know Rock & Roll.

Offline b_ron

• GF Inhabitant
    • PbNation
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 10:01:11 PM »
use a socket with an extention.  the socket will allow you to hit a bigger area of the race,
hope that helps. ;D

well thats my method
Signing out...

Offline Havokflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 11:07:56 PM »
hope that helps. ;D

well thats my method
i've Never damaged a bearing with this method. ;D
The french don't know Rock & Roll.

Budz

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 08:29:45 AM »
maybe try a heat gun or blow dyer to heat up the bottom bracket shell a bit, then try knocking the bearings out.

u can also use some penetrating lube between the bb shell and outter bearing race...let it sit for some time to do its job, then try to knock em out. however, if ya get the lube inside the bearing itself, u may have to take the seals off, clean the bearings out real good and then re-pack em with fresh grease.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 03:49:09 PM »
hope that helps. ;D

+1  And slowly work your way around the race.  A little at a time.  Tap...not bang.
"A puppet no more!"