Author Topic: A seat question. In essense I like to do tricks but im tired of my bum hurting  (Read 2916 times)

katobmx

Ok so here goes. I have my seat slammed. and i like it that way :wacko: but ive recently started integrating seat wheelies into my combos. I currently ride a sunset seat,but im wondering if I'll be hurt by using a padded seat because the material will probably shift around the seat under my weight etc. what do guys think?

Offline dereketheRED

• Funky Chicken
  • Derek
Hahaha ;D

I don't know what it means to have your seat slammed, but maybe angle the nose down so you don't slide around? I think you will be hurt more by a non-padded seat than one with padding..

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
To be honest I think that flatland is just too much of a repetitive sport and you will probably never find a seat that actually feels comfortable. After two hours trying the same tricks you will end up sore.

katobmx

Hahaha ;D

I don't know what it means to have your seat slammed, but maybe angle the nose down so you don't slide around? I think you will be hurt more by a non-padded seat than one with padding..
its as low as it can go. so im not worried about the padding being scraped etc but i want to be able to sit on it .I'm more worried about the cushion of the padding robbing me of performance.with the plastic seat it feels almost like a peg, but i cant sit on my sunset seat :angry:

Offline loneronabike

no you should be fine kato. I myself have been doing wheelie "nothings" or no footed manuals sitting on the seat, however you want to call it for a long time now. I've ridden everything from the primo padded seats to oddy 99'rs to plastic. it honestly doesn't make a difference on those. that little bit of padding in a bmx seat isn't noticable at all. I will say though if you get one of those ridiculously padded seats with like a 1/2" of foam in them. that you WILL notice. it's still not a lot and is compensatable but it is there. So as long as you stay with a fairly normal bmx seat you won't have a problem though. Everything on the flatlandfuel site right now would work just fine. you'll probly never know the difference. On another note though.. RAISING your seat will greatly improve the wear and tear on your butt bone. It will result in the bike being less straight up and down. and you will in turn, sit flatter on the seat and it helps me greatly. you won't be trying so hard to fight the feeling of sliding off the back, though it will change the balance point as well. other than that, you probably won't notice any difference as long as your seat isn't of the "pillowtop" variety.

katobmx

so your saying a higher seat is better for a seat wheelie or a spinning seat wheelie...hmm . I used to have my seat pointing down lik jumelin but that hurt!!

Offline loneronabike

basically the higher your seat is, the lower your front tire can be to the ground while riding them and still have control. it helps to adjust that balance point for you. personally my seat is probly 10-11" from seatpost clamp to the seat rails. pretty high, but it works for me. the only reason to lower it was some front wheel stuff but i've overcome most of the issues there. though i'm really considering cutting the nose off of my seat finally.. would like to save my ankle bones lol.. i'll let ya know how that goes with my wheelies heh.