Author Topic: I will instruct you. Learn things ITT  (Read 7716 times)

TJ Perry

I will instruct you. Learn things ITT
« on: May 01, 2007, 06:12:58 AM »
In response to the interest generated within the flatland instructor thread a few of your noticed that I'd like to do some interactive how tos. I'd like to start things off by polling fifteen riders (the first fifteen replys to this thread) and see which trick people seem to need the most help on. I can't do everything, but I've got a pretty decent bag of tricks that I don't mind explaining on here and with... :drum roll:

VIDEOS.

The catch is, whoever wants to participate in this has to post videos of themselves TRYING the trick. I don't care how ****ing dumb you think you look because you can't hang 5. I want to see videos of you bailing over the front of your bike and landing face first into sharp rocks and glass because guess what, it's the only way you're going to start learning.

So, what's going to happen is you people are going to tell me what trick you would like more help on. You're going to tell me specifically what part of the trick that is bothering you and I will post walk throughs with videos explaining the trick broken down into a few parts so that the concepts and ideas arn't lost in a single video of me doing a single trick. After I figure out what problems I need to address and it seems people are actually trying to apply what I'm going to talk about, we'll move on to another trick and repeat the process. It's going to be pretty linear for now because I don't have someone to film me, but if I can I'll have a friend come out and get some footage of me to help everyone out with close ups and tracking shots so people can get a better idea of what they should be doing/what I'm trying to show you.

If for some reason the format I'm laying out doesn't work right off the bat for some people (including me) I'll change things up a bit so that we can work together in helping YOU learn whatever trick you're having trouble with. If there is something people are asking me about that I don't really know how to do all that well, I will go out and bust my ass until I can do whatever it is that people are having trouble with so that it will HELP YOU progress.

I want everyone to understand that I'm not doing this because I need to learn hang 5s or hitchhikers or whatever it is people are having trouble with, but rather because I think people really need a kick in the tush to get them moving forward in the process of learning tricks. I will do everything I can but you have to contribute in order for this to work!

Alright everyone, have at it.

What does everyone need help with?

update: I'm bringing a friend on board to help me out with this. I think in order to make this for his benefit as well I'm going to set up a paypal account to accept donations for all those that feel this is a worthy cause. I'm not going to keep a dime. I'm going to give all of the money donated to my camera man because without his help this project will not be NEARLY as detail oriented (close ups of me riding = more information for you!).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 06:20:05 AM by TJ Perry »

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
Re: I will instruct you. Learn things ITT
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 09:19:05 AM »
Good idea TJ, sadly I dont have a camera so cant contribute, but im sure this will take off.
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 09:41:38 AM »
hey,i want to learn pedalling megaspins!
can you help?
seriously i think this might be a good idea for riders that ride alone and cant have help from others
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 09:44:57 AM by LoveHate »

Offline Levi

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 10:15:14 AM »
just to get this kinda started :mellow:

got any tips for my squeakers? I can do them a litlle bit. but i just seem to loose control and bail out.
Small | Large

Offline FlatRob

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 12:26:22 PM »
just to get this kinda started :mellow:

got any tips for my squeakers? I can do them a litlle bit. but i just seem to loose control and bail out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ycQq7UB6I

At least you could do 'em.. I get in the position and can't get more than three squeaks in if I'm lucky.. =/ I'm brakeless, so I'm not sure if I should just push forward on the handlebars to counteract the weight going down.. ?

And, TJ, I could take videos with my friend's phone. I'd gladly show you my progress If I could be assisted. =P I'm not embarrassed.
Never ride backwards into a busy street, kids! :)

Offline FlatRob

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 12:30:19 PM »
Oh, and, TJ, could you help me with wheelchairs? I can get 'em pretty consistently, but only for a few yards/feet. The tire either leans in to the left and I can't re-position the bike, or I fall backwards, ect.

I'll post a video later today if I could. I know my friend dom has a clip of me doing it pretty well. I'll take like.. three clips so you have an accurate idea of what I may be doing wrong, alright? I'm learning it (up until now) without any learning sources.
Never ride backwards into a busy street, kids! :)

Offline ukflat

• Forkglider
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 12:41:55 PM »
ok TJ, i wanna learn hang 10 jump to crackpacker. had a few goes but nothin major. almost got into halfpacker. i know what i have to do, but it will be fun!

Offline Kev

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
  • Did you see what I said?
    • Virtual Flatland instructor
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 03:17:03 PM »
This is comical.   TJ, I could have sworn you asked for our help in the other thread and now your taking matters into your own hands?  Do you have no patience or vision? 

Trying to do this on a message board is a recipe for disaster and the idea will parish....good luck with that.  Too bad, because this idea could have been the future for flatland if we would have taken the time to develop it.  Not being a dick, just super disappointed.

-Kev
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 03:35:15 PM by coloradoflats »

Offline iRobot

• Funky Chicken
  • RUM is the answer
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 03:41:36 PM »
There's still time to furthur develop this idea if you're willing. You and Kev should link up and start something great.
r0bot

TJ Perry

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 05:29:57 PM »
This is comical.   TJ, I could have sworn you asked for our help in the other thread and now your taking matters into your own hands?  Do you have no patience or vision? 

Trying to do this on a message board is a recipe for disaster and the idea will parish....good luck with that.  Too bad, because this idea could have been the future for flatland if we would have taken the time to develop it.  Not being a dick, just super disappointed.

-Kev

There's nothing that says it can't be done in a more developed environment down the line. I just want to see if this is possible.

Also, one trick per person for now. Don't ask about ten different tricks.

Offline maelstrom

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 06:11:50 PM »
I like the idea, TJ.  I'm thinking it might get a bit out of control, but as you say, nothing really prevents this from going into a more structured format.  Heck, this could even be its own section off of global-flat (or some other site).  As a pilot project, it's great for now.  Hope it works out.
~*~ I Like My Land Flat ~*~

byke

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 06:18:02 PM »

LOL
Seriously, I  think the idea is nice.

TJ Perry

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 06:28:32 PM »

All things considering, it's not that far off.

Offline Haro Master

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 06:47:25 PM »
TJ this is a brilliant idea, I take my hat off to u.
squeekers r a prob to me. I find it difficult to get in that right position when u start. most I have done is 5 scuffs. when I get a chance will post a vid. can we email em to u? its just easier
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 06:50:21 PM by Haro Master »

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 07:25:05 PM »
good luck with it TJ, if it works out im sure so many flatlanders will be grateful, i would like hitchikers  :P