Author Topic: Benefits of upsweep??????????  (Read 3581 times)

Offline cow

• Cliffhanger
  • neglect not the talents in thee............
Benefits of upsweep??????????
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:27:36 AM »
Hey i'm thinking of doing some experiments/improvements to my custom prototype bars.......
is there an advantage/plus to having upsweep in bars?
Whatever you want in life is gonna take some effort on your part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fact is, freestyle riding was, is, and will always be evolving and moving in different directions. So just do what you want and have fun with it. Trends come and go.- TYRONE WILLIAMS

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
Re: Benefits of upsweep??????????
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 03:13:11 PM »
Haven't been riding for too long so i'm not an expert, but I switched from 3 deg upsweep KGBs to 6 degree Chase BS bars recently and the difference was pretty remarkable. To me it felt like my arms were better "nestled" into the bars, like it put them into a more natural position than before. To my mind it seemed like more upsweep would be uncomfortable and unnatural, but i was surprised how much i liked it.

Offline name

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 03:28:03 PM »
Hey i'm thinking of doing some experiments/improvements to my custom prototype bars.......
is there an advantage/plus to having upsweep in bars?
More control over your bike, alot easier on your wrists/ very comfortable. I broke both of my wrists at different times riding and any one who can say that up sweep does not help you wrists is not correct. It is a HUGE difference! Good luck with your bars!

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 04:09:22 PM »
alot easier on your wrists/ very comfortable.

Yeah, by the way I have bad wrist issues as well and it does seem a bit better with more upsweep. Broke my left wrist skating 6yr ago and it healed back too short and now i have bad range-of-movement in it and very annoying numbness problems. But i'll still go out there and try 200 Hang-5s and not be too sore. I do believe upsweep has helped a little bit with that.   

Offline cow

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 04:25:38 PM »
yeah...i'm guessing it really would add a positive difference.....my bars are like 9" high so i'm thinking of taking an inch off in the next version (from ends of bars but making that difference back in upsweep) 
Whatever you want in life is gonna take some effort on your part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fact is, freestyle riding was, is, and will always be evolving and moving in different directions. So just do what you want and have fun with it. Trends come and go.- TYRONE WILLIAMS

Offline name

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 05:55:17 PM »
yeah...i'm guessing it really would add a positive difference.....my bars are like 9" high so i'm thinking of taking an inch off in the next version (from ends of bars but making that difference back in upsweep)  
If they were not a bar/stem are they the equivilant of 9" tall or just the way they are now from bottom to the center of the end? How wide are tose bars out of curiousity? Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 06:12:48 PM by name »

Offline cow

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 07:59:16 PM »
well how i designed them was that the stem section is hugged all the way down by first upper tube to provide support against hitchhiker type slams so it is in actuality 9.75" tall.........and 22"wide

cad does'nt work on my laptop(bloody vista) and my girlfriend is using one of my drafting desktop at her father's office....so i had to go use measuring tape.......

Offline name

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 08:29:23 PM »
well how i designed them was that the stem section is hugged all the way down by first upper tube to provide support against hitchhiker type slams so it is in actuality 9.75" tall.........and 22"wide

cad does'nt work on my laptop(bloody vista) and my girlfriend is using one of my drafting desktop at her father's office....so i had to go use measuring tape.......
9.75" tall from bottom?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 07:47:58 AM by name »

Offline cow

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 08:54:26 PM »
yup............... ;D...that was because i wanna change my odyssey fork to a lighter one for travelling on airlines purposes...and most forks steerer tubes are shorter than odyssey so...there would be no room for much spacers..............
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 08:56:27 PM by cow »

Offline Russell123

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 07:35:14 AM »
nice working guyes

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 07:49:20 AM »
Upsweep can also help with 360 barflip types of tricks where your hand is sort of contorted backwards. It can make it more comfortable because with upsweep you're not twisting your wrist as much.

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 04:05:14 PM »
up sweep helps keep your grips nicer - as when you "dig in"  during a hiker or something trick like that - your handle bar ends are the only thing to hit the ground.
so your grips dont get chewed up from the pavment.

the other plus is that you can run your grips extra long and have them go past the bends of the bars  -  and not have to use hiker rings on the insides of your grips
as they would never touch down.

so as long as you got some good bar ends - having 3+ degrees of up sweep will make you a happy rider  ( unless you like having severely chewed up grips all the time )
Old dudes can still rip

Offline cow

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 07:44:23 PM »
yeah thanks alot guys for your informative comments.....gonna do at least 3-5 degrees upsweep to my next set of bars and even one with forward offset......

in the case of offset does upsweep offer that same omfort or should it be done with backsweep...

Offline brian84corvette

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 06:02:37 AM »
my perfect bars have 3 deg.  up sweep and are dead 0 back sweep.

that way they feel the same to my hands wether the bars are fowards or backards - there is the same wrist positoin on the handlebar  and its eazier for a beginner rider like me to "dial in"  since it feels the same all the time.    less variables in the equasion I guess.....
math
lol
Old dudes can still rip