Author Topic: blowing off steam  (Read 6183 times)

Offline atattoojay

blowing off steam
« on: March 29, 2010, 09:50:49 AM »
ok. i just looked through a bunch of comments atatched to a flatland video.......i've got to say im a bit disappointed in the younger riders out there. i see it around here too. dumb, drunk, do nothing little knuckle heads. (this is directed at park/street riders ive come across) no respect at all for flatland. or any other type of riding. i remeber riding with all types of people. ive noticed now all these f*ckin kids look the same, wear the same clothes, ride the same set-ups, listen to the same music. sorry. im running on a bit, but this is a bit crazy. and i do know young riders who have thier sh*t together. its just that i remember riding being so amazing growing up, there was really love there. now its fashion. wow. makes me love flatland that much more.........there. i feel a lot better. thanks for listening. hahahaha
if i have to tattoo one more set of praying hands i'm going to puke!!

Offline Hugo @ Portugal

• GF Inhabitant
    • FlatlandPT
Re: blowing off steam
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 10:31:56 AM »
As I see things this is just a phenomenon that shouldn't be taken too seriously.

We're talking about adolescents who don't enjoy video games, online gaming or card games that chose a radical sport as their way of shedding some accumulated energy.

I personally identify this kind of stereotype in skaters because around here there are no BMX'ers (a skateboard is way cheaper).

The vast majority of the younger riders don't really ride because they enjoy it a lot, it's more like a stage of their youth, we all had it.

What we will see in the end is that the sheep end up quitting sooner or later, as soon as they realize how empty and senseless they are becoming, loosing the few interest they had before in the sport.
The rest will hopefully keep on progressing and enjoying the sport even more, captivating the attention of new comers for years to come.

Offline Ginman

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 02:58:18 PM »
oh yeah..fashion has it on teenage dudes..they tend to "identify" that's why they all look,do,listen, and dress almost thesame..also because of the skateboarder fashion..

we already passed that stage man :mellow:

but they'll see how ''matured'' guys do... specially flatland... we dress neat and simple, but the skills are more outstanding.. :mellow:

FEED that style to the youngsters...hahhaha

Offline Nails

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
That theme repeats itself everywhere all over the world. Our music scene is riddled with scene whores wearing flat peak caps, nikes, basket ball jersys, and have holes in their ears the circumference of my dick.
Most charismatic church goers here all have the same f*ckin haircut and act/talk/walk/preach/dress the same.
All the jocky boys have dorky haircuts which they think look good, listen to doofdoof music and drive ugly cars because they think it makes them fit in.

Everyone will grow up eventually, thats when you find out who the true cunts are. The only ones who stay are the ones that it means something to.
Anyway, the sheep you're talking about buy part from flat companies which helps flatland in general :D
still learning

Offline atattoojay

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 06:46:11 PM »
yeah. its just a trip. i rode street and park for ten years. and the whole time loved flatland and respected the amount of talent the cats that rode it had. hell, i wanted to do it. my only problem with it back then was that i was really good at riding my bike, so it was hard to go from that to a parking lot where you would have thought i had never touched a bike. hahaha
if you get a chance, go look up matt gannon on you tube. he's a local who has too much talent, his own style on and off his bike, and all around just a really good guy.
if i have to tattoo one more set of praying hands i'm going to puke!!

Offline flatlandpercy

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 06:52:19 PM »
ok. i just looked through a bunch of comments atatched to a flatland video.......i've got to say im a bit disappointed in the younger riders out there. i see it around here too. dumb, drunk, do nothing little knuckle heads. (this is directed at park/street riders ive come across) no respect at all for flatland. or any other type of riding. i remeber riding with all types of people. ive noticed now all these f*ckin kids look the same, wear the same clothes, ride the same set-ups, listen to the same music. sorry. im running on a bit, but this is a bit crazy. and i do know young riders who have thier sh*t together. its just that i remember riding being so amazing growing up, there was really love there. now its fashion. wow. makes me love flatland that much more.........there. i feel a lot better. thanks for listening. hahahaha

I agree, and even found myself fall victim to this.  I used to see Marttii do kickflips
and I never thought nothing of it; just like it was any old trick like a barflip or something.
Now that I been trying them, I understand that their freaking crazy!  I would have never
known this unless I tried them.  Kids used to come up to me with their girls next to them
and say out loud "I CAN DO THAT".  So I used to give them the bike and watch them get hurt.
It was funny; and they would learn then.  Maybe you can do the same?

Offline animal1

• Backpacker
  • PEG MOLESTER
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 08:44:32 PM »
You hit the nail on the head.  I can't stand these kids with the low top tubes and plastic seats that mommy and daddy got them because the other kids have them.  Same thing with fixies.  Living in Huntington Beach theres a huge bmx scene.  Whenever I'm riding at least one bmxer rides by, takes a glance, and keeps riding.  I don't know about you guys, but back when I rode street if I saw another guy on a bmx I would go say what up.  No matter what he's riding.  Flatland, trails, whatever.  I think kids these days feel like it's a constant competition to be cooler than the next guy.  A if they don't have the latest and greatest part or trick then f*ck them mentality.  Thats most of the reason I switch to flatland a few months ago, because our scene is just stoked to be around another person that rides.  I don't know, some day I'll get back into trails, but street and park is dead to me.  Flatlands 10x more fun anyways.  Some cats flow, some cats don't, but I'll ride with either of them  :beer: :beer:
BALANCE CONTROL

Offline Pat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 02:52:25 AM »
yeahh well.. i mean the local kids all ride around in front of the school and can do 180's, but nothing else really. then they see me riding by and ask me stupid sh*t like "how high can you crow hop?" or "can you 360?" and i'll be like "no i ride mostly flatland" and i usually get responses like "oh so you just ride around in circles" or "wow you cant even crow hop?"
it gets me so pissed i feel like i should say something like "yeah well you just ride around in lines!"

and dont even ask me what a crow hop is cause i honestly dont really f*ckin know lol
SLOflatlander-Central Coast California Flatland

Offline Nails

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 03:11:26 AM »
ask them if they can hang 5
still learning

Offline Nesquik

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 03:50:42 AM »
weird....I am the only flatland rider, and I have ridden with aroudn 15 people....they usually say "holy crap I remember you" or "do that again, its entertaining"

They like the flatland stuff. they have no interest in doing it themselves, but they think its cool.

Offline jed

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 04:26:31 AM »
They all quit when they get a car or knock up their hurtin looking girlfriend anyway so why care?

Offline Pralex

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 04:33:32 AM »
You guys are all WAY too upset about this, haha.  Just go ride your bikes, you all pretend like you don't care about fashion, or riding trendy bikes, but thats ALL you talk about, meanwhile, us guys riding trendy bikes and dress fashionably are laughing and out riding our bikes and having a gay old time.

Offline Mario Saldana

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 04:48:54 AM »
i know what you mean, i have that here crazy in san diego. and its funny that all they can do are bunny hops and 180..

IG: mas_xiii

Offline Pat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 05:33:34 AM »
You guys are all WAY too upset about this, haha.  Just go ride your bikes, you all pretend like you don't care about fashion, or riding trendy bikes, but thats ALL you talk about, meanwhile, us guys riding trendy bikes and dress fashionably are laughing and out riding our bikes and having a gay old time.

can i please be welcomed as part of this? i love gay times  -_-
SLOflatlander-Central Coast California Flatland

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 06:08:19 AM »

I agree, and even found myself fall victim to this.  I used to see Marttii do kickflips
and I never thought nothing of it; just like it was any old trick like a barflip or something.
Now that I been trying them, I understand that their freaking crazy!  I would have never
known this unless I tried them.  Kids used to come up to me with their girls next to them
and say out loud "I CAN DO THAT".  So I used to give them the bike and watch them get hurt.
It was funny; and they would learn then.  Maybe you can do the same?

This is strange. The first time I saw flatland I knew it was hard just by watching it. As for kickflips, I always figured people would be doing them more nowadays considering they are obviously a step up from barflips. That is, they are barflips without even touching the bars. When I first got into flatland I thought it was mainly just common sense to almost everyone. I guess you just can't expect the general public to understand something as complex as what we do.