Author Topic: McNeil 330 Post, 7000 or 6000?  (Read 3459 times)

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
Re: McNeil 330 Post, 7000 or 6000?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 05:26:56 PM »
I don't think they are forged; they have a machined pattern/ ridge on them.

jm, I've been trying to flip my bike over from a peg wheelie, foot on wrong side. I have no idea what to would call that, I pretty much suck at it though, lol. It was either that or a sweaty slip of the hand from a super fast spinning BW steam that brought me back to 1985... It’s real fuzzy at this point... but I do remember something about a Delonrinan and a really loud guitar.

metal, I've tried to lower my seat for less leverage on my post but I just can't do it. Everything gets off and I just can't get used to it. I guess I could lower it a 1/2 inch every week till I got it down more, never really feeling a change that way. But considering this is the first post I have had a problem with in like 10 years I think I will just shell out $30 for a new one and see what happens.
Don't worry fellas, I'll post the broken 7000 series next week!hahaha
Thanks, Rob
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline SIN

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 05:34:25 PM »
CHASE bike check, maybe some kinda mod like this would help?

Seatpost: Thomson Elite. I have a solid aluminum rod pressed into it to avoid crushing/pinching the seatpost at the clamp area.

http://bmx.transworld.net/1000042797/features/bike-check-chase-gouin-february-27-2008-2/
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 05:36:09 PM by SIN »

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 05:51:34 PM »
mmmmm...smart. Thanks
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 07:44:11 PM »
If u decide to lower the post adjust the seat angle some to compensate.

And rob, I do the same trick. I refer to it as a rolling dumptruck or scuffless stick b. Caboose also, right?
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 09:31:42 PM »
If u decide to lower the post adjust the seat angle some to compensate.

And rob, I do the same trick. I refer to it as a rolling dumptruck or scuffless stick b. Caboose also, right?
Maybe it is a dumbtruck, start out in a peg wheelie with bike on the out side of you...end up with bike upside-down and the bike between your legs like a reg. peg wheelie? Is that a dumptruck? Ive always rode by myself and never took the terminology course.

Offline The End

• Backpacker
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 05:16:59 AM »
It doesn't matter who you buy your seat post from, Colony, Macniel, A Bad Thing, if you look closely and compare them, they're all the same damn thing. Steel posts are a waste of time, if you're coming down hard enough to snap an aluminum one, you're doing something wrong to begin with.

They're not all the same.  ;D  I compared a few when I was in a store in Seoul. The Colony and Macneil 330 model are the worst because they are not 1-piece, if you look carefully the pivotal notched area is pressed into the post.   The Arestic pivotal post is just very standard 1-piece, how you'd expect any pivotal post to be.   But the A Bad Thing post is the best I think, as it's 1-piece like the Arestic but it has a small ridge bulge at the neck of the post just below the pivotal notched area, so it may be a slight reinforcement.

Conclusion: Not all 330mm pivotal posts are the same  ^_^