Author Topic: Help: Brake installation  (Read 3614 times)

Offline Flo

Help: Brake installation
« on: March 17, 2010, 04:02:28 PM »
Okay so i bought new Snafu Astroglide brakes. I'm trying to install them as rear brakes, but I'm stuck. I installed the bit at the rotor and layed them out to the cable stop on my frame. But then there is this part (I don't know what its called) which should make the dual go into a single I think? I'm suppose to mount it to the cable stop and so i did. But how do I get a single cable into the middle so that it slides to my brakehanger? Does anyone know what I"m talking about?

Offline Levi

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
Re: Help: Brake installation
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 04:17:49 PM »
http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=22582.0
if this doesn't help show us a pic of what's going wrong.

Offline Levi

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 04:22:29 PM »
is you problem situated here?

Offline Flo

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 04:44:29 PM »
is you problem situated here?

Well my problem is just before that, from the cable stop to the brake hanger. What do I put in there.
I have this kind of thing only by snafu

and its says i have to mount it to the cable stop on my frame

Offline DLK

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 04:54:37 PM »
The Snafu lower cables are for DUAL cable routing only. The piece you're talking about connects to your cable stop on the frame like you said. Then you run cables from your gyro/detangler through each side of the piece attached to the cable stop down to your brake arms. You run cable housing from the gyro to the cable stop piece. You brake cables are then exposed after the cable stop. Go to my profile and look at the outdoor pics of my bike. I run dual rear cables using the Odyssey London Mod that you posted a pic of. You might be able to see what I'm talking about. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 05:04:21 PM by DLK »

Offline Flo

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 05:13:41 PM »
Okay so tell me if Im right. I had the exact same cables as you had in the beginning, the dual thing that go's into this tube and then turns into one cable. Now I have what you have. So the idea is to connect the mod to the cable stop and then the two cables just go from there straight to the brake arms? So you don't need a brake hanger anymore? Is this correct? So how do you then put the tension on your break arms?

Offline DLK

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 05:46:05 PM »
Okay so tell me if Im right. I had the exact same cables as you had in the beginning, the dual thing that go's into this tube and then turns into one cable. Now I have what you have. So the idea is to connect the mod to the cable stop and then the two cables just go from there straight to the brake arms? So you don't need a brake hanger anymore? Is this correct? So how do you then put the tension on your break arms?

You are correct. Since you will now be running dual cables, you will no longer need a cable hanger. You tension the cables by pulling them and tightening/clamping them at the brake arm using a lucky bolt and/or clamp built into the brake arm.

Offline Flo

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 06:18:45 PM »
Okay thnx a lot. Final question. Are the knarps that came with the package for attaching them into the brake arms?

Offline DLK

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 06:49:10 PM »
Okay thnx a lot. Final question. Are the knarps that came with the package for attaching them into the brake arms?

Indeed they are.