Author Topic: Whiplash question??  (Read 5528 times)

xXMattXx

Whiplash question??
« on: March 03, 2010, 03:17:00 AM »
hay guys well im progressing but i have seen lately that i havent been doing anything new, and so i have started my journey on the WHIPLASH... haha but i have been wondering how long it took u to learn a whiplash. yes i know people have different practicing times and such, but i want to know the average time to learn a whiplash.

Offline Pat

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Whiplash question??
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 03:21:12 AM »
i landed one in about two weeks. that was about a month ago and i havent landed one since.
SLOflatlander-Central Coast California Flatland

xXMattXx

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 03:24:39 AM »
thanks, and im sure you'll land it some time soon again, same thing happened when i was doing my half lash, got it one day a few days later i land 5 in one day.

Offline Stubbleduck43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 04:02:39 AM »
Ok, I learned a single brakeless whiplash in 1987.  What I've learned over the years is very basic.  You have to do alot of things almost at the same time.  This is how I learned to pull at least a single one consistantly.  Push up, kick the frame around, and immediately put your kicking foot on the opposite front peg and transfer your weight and catch your frame.  What you want to do is get ahead of your frame.  That's where the immediate step to the opposite peg comes in.  Where I messed up was I'd kick the frame around and dangle my leg for balance like a steamroller and loose it.  As soon as you kick, step and transfer weight.  You will have both feet on your pegs before your frame is 180 degrees from you.  Try it!!!  I hope that helps.

Offline b_ron

• GF Inhabitant
    • PbNation
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 05:26:37 AM »
Ok, I learned a single brakeless whiplash in 1987.  What I've learned over the years is very basic.  You have to do alot of things almost at the same time.  This is how I learned to pull at least a single one consistantly.  Push up, kick the frame around, and immediately put your kicking foot on the opposite front peg and transfer your weight and catch your frame.  What you want to do is get ahead of your frame.  That's where the immediate step to the opposite peg comes in.  Where I messed up was I'd kick the frame around and dangle my leg for balance like a steamroller and loose it.  As soon as you kick, step and transfer weight.  You will have both feet on your pegs before your frame is 180 degrees from you.  Try it!!!  I hope that helps.
hrrrmmmm.. interesting
i never tried it like that. i've only landed a whiplash once. the balance point after the foot transition throws me off

i might have to try your way next time
Signing out...

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 05:46:59 AM »
i landed one in about two weeks. that was about a month ago and i havent landed one since.

I feel you on that... nothing worse then pulling something once and knowing you can do it, but just not being able to hit it again for a long stretch. I think I went through that with every trick I ever learned... lol

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 06:16:17 AM »

I would say this is really good advice.  Never really thought about it, but it's true.

If I remember correctly, it took me about a week to pull one, and about two weeks to get the consistancy there.  That was in 88.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline abbydan

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 09:47:29 AM »
I find it helps to turn slightly to the left when i lift up and kick the frame around, then when i switch to my right foot on the front peg i turn slightly to the right.

Offline Mark McGrade

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 07:38:09 PM »
If I remember correctly, it took me about a week to pull one, and about two weeks to get the consistancy there.  That was in 88.

I also never tried a Wiplash like that I'll give it a try.

Hey Tod you shoot any video yet? How's the progression going?

Offline Cyborg

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 07:45:08 PM »
I think it also helps to try them on both sides and see which one is more comfortable. I learned them like everyone used to, counter-clockwise, even though I naturally spin clockwise, but I am now a big fan of doing them clockwise because i feel like I can hang out (pun intended) a little longer on my left foot and not my right, like in a hang five...

I guess I also learned steamroller to hang five before I learned whiplashes clockwise.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 07:54:32 PM »

I also never tried a Wiplash like that I'll give it a try.

Hey Tod you shoot any video yet? How's the progression going?

I've shot some video around the house, just getting used to how the camera works...but none riding related.  I think I might actually have to have someone film me, because of my style, I can't set it up on a tripod and ride in the same frame.  I like to go fast.

Progression is hit and miss.  Not actually getting to ride much is a problem.  But I'm working at it!  Working on Fire-Hydrants to Karls and also to Elbow Glides.  Also trying to relearn a backwards Whiplash to Funky Chicken.  Relearned FWD Elbow Glides, FWD Side Glides...you know, that stuff.  Occasionally working on multiple Whiplashes, but not getting very far.

Sorry off topic. 

Matt, I would suggest NOT comparing your riding, or the time it takes you to get tricks to another rider.  This can be counter-productive to what you are trying to achieve.  It could possibly frustrate you if you can't learn it in a "prescribed" amount of time.  Just keep at it.  It will come. 
"A puppet no more!"

xXMattXx

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 11:39:17 PM »
thanks man