Author Topic: Aluminum?  (Read 2091 times)

Offline 1988

Aluminum?
« on: March 02, 2010, 07:33:15 PM »
Why aren't more frames made out of aluminum alloy?

Off the top of my head I can think of at least three bikes - old PK Ripper, GT Show, and KHE Unique - which were alloy and held up pretty well. Is it a cost issue? Alloy racing frames don't seem that much more expensive than cro-mo.

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Aluminum?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 07:38:17 PM »
Alu is too stiff. Cracks alot.

For the strength required, these days you can make a 4130 frame lighter, with the required strength, for cheaper.

More expensive to weld.

etc etc, theres pleanty of reasons.
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 07:42:08 PM »
Aluminum is super stiff and light, but you'd better be ready to toss the frame into the recycler every 9 months or so if you want one at modern weights.  The old Shows cracked like crazy, I saw a lot of broken WTP Studs too.  The DF Submachine was pretty good, but all aluminum will crack way, way easier than steel.  All those early 00's aluminum bikes were HEAVIER than modern flatland frames, too.   

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 08:38:50 PM »
Sum one was bound to post it so i thought i'd get it in 1st... Think this sums up aluminium flatland frames...

Offline zach

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 11:27:41 PM »
I had the schwinn aluminum frame and loved it. It felt like no other frame I ever rode. But after 1 year It stoped feeling so stiff so I stoped riding it. It never cracked but did feel diffrent. I miss the feel of that frame.

Offline paulbrown692000

• GF Inhabitant
    • Revelation BMX
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 12:17:55 AM »
King had a aluminum frame I always wanted
All things in life are temporary. If going well...enjoy it, they will not last forever. If going wrong don’t worry, they can't last long either.

Budz

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 04:31:48 AM »
modern 4130 cro-mo frames crack too.
here is a street frame that snapped in 2 while the dude was flatlanding on it at last years NYC Jam.
im of course in agreement that 4130 chromoly is way better than aluminum for frames, forks , and bars! just sayin...everything cracks...it all comes down to design quality in the end.

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant