Author Topic: Cranks and weight  (Read 1746 times)

Offline 1988

Cranks and weight
« on: March 01, 2010, 07:58:49 PM »
Wanted to get some opinions on crank weight. Currently riding 3-piece cro-mo tubular cranks, 165mm, 28 tooth chainring in front. My guess is they probably weigh just under 2 pounds not counting the bottom bracket.

My bike overall is fairly heavy at 28 lbs, and I was considering swapping to St. Martin Holloflat 160mm cranks and smaller chainring to save some weight. I'm guessing I could save about a pound by doing so.

Is it worth it to spend ~$200 to save a pound of bike weight? Just curious what people think. The added benefit would be lightening the back end of the bike, which is currently much heavier than the front, and potentially improving overall balance. But again, it's like $200. Thoughts?

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Cranks and weight
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 08:13:21 PM »
Don't get the st martins. They are sh*t cranks. Get a set of profiles and upgrade to a ti spindle later on. It will be the most rock solid investment you make in your bike.

Offline 1988

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 08:38:33 PM »
Thanks

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 11:39:21 PM »
The best way to cut weight without spending a lot of money is getting some lightweight kevlar tires, lightweight tubes, plastic pedals and lightweight seat.

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 12:52:00 AM »
The best way to cut weight without spending a lot of money is getting some lightweight kevlar tires, lightweight tubes, plastic pedals and lightweight seat.

QFT.

I have nothing against the St. Martins, but if they are much lighter than the Profiles, then you'll probably end up paying for it in the end in reliability.   If you are going to spend that much cash, just get the Profiles.

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 08:34:59 PM »
+1, very good advice. Cranks are too expensive to weenie out on.
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.