Author Topic: Force of nature  (Read 7310 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
Force of nature
« on: January 21, 2010, 10:16:12 AM »
Sure you have heard of the devastation in Haiti. Fellow rider Jose Polanco lives in the Dominican Republic which is a neighboring country and is selling off his old bikes to raise funds for the victims of these crazy earthquakes.

Here´s links to a thread were you can go to see the items he´s selling: sale 1, sale 2, sale 3, sale 4

He is also accepting donations through paypal, if you go through the pages on the first link you´ll find pics of the water and underwear he´s already bought and delivered to Haiti.

Weather isn´t exactly perfect in Long Beach, California either - some recent photos by fat tony.

TJ Perry

Re: Force of nature
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 11:25:44 AM »
If any of you haven't done so please click on the link in my sig and donate a little to the relief effort in Haiti as well.

edit:

additional links for those who want to donate.

http://www.unicefusa.org/haitiquake

https://www.oxfam.org.uk/donate/hai...quake/index.php

https://american.redcross.org/site/...RCO_NewsArticle

All of these are different organizations who will all make sure the money gets put to good use. There is no reason why anyone on here can't donate just a few bucks to help these people out, they are in seriously dire straights.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 11:28:32 AM by 2FLAT2FURIOUS »

Offline cj

• Cliffhanger
  • formless
    • sandmbikes.com
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 04:09:41 PM »
Thanks for listing the alternative options for donations but I suggest donating to Jose. He is giving 100% of the funds directly to Haiti. He is hand delivering the goods and letting others know it comes from the BMX community. I don't claim to know about these other organizations but, I do know that only a percentage of your donation goes into the hands of the needy after you give to them. Please help Jose, every dollar counts.
instagram.com/intrikatbmx

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 05:06:27 PM »
You can also donate through local businesses in your area, I donated to the American Red Cross through my local HEB grocery store.  Check out person just adds whatever monetary amount you want to donate to your grocery bill.  Every dollar counts.

These people need help(obviously), and it's up to us to take care of our brothers and sisters in need.  

Thanks for posting this up guys.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 05:41:25 PM »
Partner’s in Health (www.pih.org)

RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 11:49:07 PM »

CALIFORNIA IS STARTING TO FLOOD IN SOME AREA
AND UNFORTANELY YOU MIGHT BE HEARING MORE AND
MORE ABOUT THINGS OUT HERE AS THE RAIN IS NOT
STOPPING AND EL NINO IS IN FULL EFFECT.

LAST TIME THIS HAPPENED...THE FLOODS WERE SO BAD
THAT MILLIONS WERE LOST IN HOUSES AND BUILDINGS
AND THIS HAPPENED IN 96/97, 92/93, 86/87. AND 82/83.

THIS IS NOTHING LIKE HAITI BUT IT IS IN THE UNITED STATES
AND HOPEFULLY THE RAINS WILL EASE UP HERE.

Budz

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 12:24:06 AM »
sorry to go off topic here but...does Jose Polanco still ride?!
he used to visit Mullaly skatepark in the Bronx often back in the 90s.
pretty much every time Mullaly had a contest, he would come out from the D.R.
pretty hardcore if u ask me. :mellow:
that dude could shred!

sorry...i just havent heard that name in a long time. Jose was/is rad!

ok...donate now! :beer: :mellow:

Offline polanco

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 03:22:13 AM »
wow,thanks for posting this here,man,and thanks to anyone that might help,this is a worldwide catastrophe of gargantuan proportions,reality in this case has superseded the most grueling films.in fact,in modern times,and saving the tsunami in asia a few years back,I would say this is the most disastrous thing to happen in America yet.Since we are on the same island,the quickest way to reach is through us,trucks leave daily,3 times a day,and get there in 5-6 hours depending on traffic,those people are desperate and have nowhere to go,and nothing to wear/eat,and the international help is taking its time.most public and private institutions have done their part here to help,but we are also a poor country,this is why I have stepped up to do this,since I am of the more privileged part of the island,it is our duty to help out,but with a weak economy as well,we can only do so much.the good thing is we escaped the wrath of nature,and therefore,all our services,communications,internet,light,water,etc,contniue to work,they have none of that now.it is crazy and for at least the immediate future,Haiti is a true disaster zone,thanks to all reading.

p.s.Budz, I am still riding of course,I am married,have 3 kids,am 36,and still ride whenever I can and bring the pain! ^_^ ^_^,now,that's hardcore 90's right there,lol...In the last few years I attended some comps in PR,and went to do a demo in Havana,Cuba,(that was cool),and in fact,met some riders from haiti,who have the wickedest 1985 routines complete with the spiderman -feet-up-the -wall moves,lol,yep,freestyle still exists down here...ride on!BTW,I was in mullaly last year with fred g,rob,and chromey and skinny gmg,2 fellow bmx museum members,pretty wild to be back there again,I started doing some tricks on chromey's 88 haro,and all the park riders stopped to watch..I suddenly realized they had NEVER seen a flatlander upclose,it was like encounters of the third kind revisited!the King of new york,and the x-games need to bring back flat,for real...

Offline Mortarman

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 03:25:44 AM »
It's not bad enough that a systematically oppressed people live their entire lives in poverty and now this.  The figures are staggering.  Let's hope FEMA isn't a big part of this operation, they did such a good job with Katrina.

It makes me wonder what literature will come from the Haitians in the future. 

PO

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 06:20:32 AM »

HAITI UPDATE

75,000 NOW CONFIRMED DEAD
130,000 INJURED

TOLLS ARE STILL GOING UP AND MIGHT CLIMB TO
250,000 CONFIRMED DEAD AND 500,000 INJURED

SOME 2.5 MILLION PEOPLE ARE HOMELESS
RIOTING, REVENGE KILLINGS AND LOOTING IS
GOING RAPID WITHOUT BEING STOPPPED.....

DISEASE IS FEARED TO BE RUNNNIG UNSTOPPED KILLING
MANY OTHERS ..CLEAN WATER AND  SHELTERS  IS RARE WHICH
IS CAUSING MORE DISEASE AND DEATHS..........

CLOSER TO HOME!!

CALIFORNIA STORM TOLLS SO FAR..UPDATED

8 DEATHS BY TREES FALLING ON PEOPLE, DROWNINGS, AND OTHER
CAUSES..............MUDSLIDE TAKES OUT HOUSES AND PEOPLE

150 INJURIES

350 HOMELESS BECAUSE OF STORMS

250,000 WITHOUT ELECTRICITY

EVACUATIONS OF WHOLE COMMUNITY BECAUSE OF FEAR OF
MUDSLIDES IN FIRE AREAS..BURNT OUT IN FIRES LAST YEAR.

FLOODING OF SCHOOLS AND BUILDINGS..CAUSES MILLIONS OF DAMAGE
AND CLOSES MANY SCHOOL DISTRICTS AND SCHOOLS.

Offline O.S.G.

• Backpacker
  • Superman Hang
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 06:43:15 PM »
 ;D :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :PStand-by for news...Mutt-tick updates now available on your mobile device get your today..."the Proble-Mutt-Tick App"...Yes there's an app for that

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 12:00:36 AM »
I was listening to radio interviews with people from Haiti...just heart breaking. If the rains come, its going to be even more devastating. Everyone is asking for medical help and still no proper medical aid. The smell of dead is overwhelming for them. Lack of Blood, so much pain, etc...no rescue equipment.

They feel like dogs, "New Mission" dropped bread from the helicopter. They didn't land the chopper and give by hand. Its an over all feeling of frustration, how things are treated and expressed. Its become a security situation but...

I just feel so guilty right now, I am going on a trip to the Ocean, its self contained trip(part of it is Ocean Protection duty). Haitians are people of the Ocean who need help, hopefully the items donated reaches ...N  

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 04:19:03 AM by ASC »
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 05:46:36 AM »
Very emotional day on so many levels....trying, this made me feel HOPE.

He may not be able to talk, but such good man...Always putting people first.  N

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TtBk3M2PZ0[/youtube]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 05:51:50 AM by ASC »
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline laughingmonkey

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 05:49:04 AM »
That is horrible that people have to endure the forces of nature to that extreme.  All I can think of is the amount of bacteria, mold, and potential diseases that can come from stagnant water.  Hopefully Long Beach can get the aid to recover quickly.
-------            --------
         \         /
           ------
           \___/

----  .__o
----- _-\_<,
---  (*)/'(*)

Budz

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 07:58:20 AM »
wow,thanks for posting this here,man,and thanks to anyone that might help,this is a worldwide catastrophe of gargantuan proportions,reality in this case has superseded the most grueling films.in fact,in modern times,and saving the tsunami in asia a few years back,I would say this is the most disastrous thing to happen in America yet.Since we are on the same island,the quickest way to reach is through us,trucks leave daily,3 times a day,and get there in 5-6 hours depending on traffic,those people are desperate and have nowhere to go,and nothing to wear/eat,and the international help is taking its time.most public and private institutions have done their part here to help,but we are also a poor country,this is why I have stepped up to do this,since I am of the more privileged part of the island,it is our duty to help out,but with a weak economy as well,we can only do so much.the good thing is we escaped the wrath of nature,and therefore,all our services,communications,internet,light,water,etc,contniue to work,they have none of that now.it is crazy and for at least the immediate future,Haiti is a true disaster zone,thanks to all reading.

p.s.Budz, I am still riding of course,I am married,have 3 kids,am 36,and still ride whenever I can and bring the pain! ^_^ ^_^,now,that's hardcore 90's right there,lol...In the last few years I attended some comps in PR,and went to do a demo in Havana,Cuba,(that was cool),and in fact,met some riders from haiti,who have the wickedest 1985 routines complete with the spiderman -feet-up-the -wall moves,lol,yep,freestyle still exists down here...ride on!BTW,I was in mullaly last year with fred g,rob,and chromey and skinny gmg,2 fellow bmx museum members,pretty wild to be back there again,I started doing some tricks on chromey's 88 haro,and all the park riders stopped to watch..I suddenly realized they had NEVER seen a flatlander upclose,it was like encounters of the third kind revisited!the King of new york,and the x-games need to bring back flat,for real...
sorry to go off topic again, but im stoked that u still ride dude.
King of NY let us have a flatland jam during last years event. there are talks of doing it again...maybe even a comp this year for KONY. if u could make it, that would be sick!
sure Parks, Perez, Ortiz, etc would be happy to see u again too! :mellow:

i donated 20 beans, that i dont have, today to a local organization who is helping in the Haiti cause. i couldnt put gas in my car, but its worth it if someone gets to eat, get medical attention, clothes, etc with that money. :beer: