Author Topic: Athens, GA - Twilight BMX Contest  (Read 9149 times)

Ron Seay

Athens, GA - Twilight BMX Contest
« on: April 11, 2007, 08:27:54 PM »

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
Re: Athens, GA - Twilight BMX Contest
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 11:34:11 PM »
So who's going? 

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 11:26:48 PM »
I guess it's just me and the rest of the Ath Fam then...... 

Offline Jesse

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 05:04:47 AM »
I probably could have gone had I more then a 2 week notice... oh well.

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 05:28:48 AM »
im riding down

Offline SINN

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 07:01:35 PM »
How was it D?

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 04:21:12 PM »
It was a great time.  12 people entered flatland, it was held on the street course in the middle of downtown Athens.   The only downside was the ground was REALLY bumpy, but it was still a lot of fun.  Since people were having problems with the ground it kinda took some of the seriousness out of everything.  It was my first time entering pro. 

highlights:

-Bob calling out Dowker and starting up an old school flat session in the middle of the contest.  Reminding everyone it's all about having fun on your bike. The crowd loves old school tricks.  Next year I am doing a barride.   ;D 

-Andy Cooper, Dane and Aaron making hard tricks work on a not so ideal surface.  Dane especially, he was DIALED.   

-Dowker turning in some pretty polished stuff.  I can tell he makes his living also doing shows on not the best surfaces in the world.  It was cool to see. 

-Kent got 7th in flat and then turned around and got 7th in pro ramps, too.

-Chip and Matt were both riding really well, I can tell they've been putting the hours in and were really consistent.  If either had entered pro I'm sure they would've done pretty well.

-Lotsa hot girls watching the contest.  Lots of people in general watching the contest and they were all stoked.  Since it was outdoors in a public area where there were a lot of people around anyway, it attracted a lot of attention.  The whole thing was GREAT for exposure.  We should keep this in mind for future contests. 

If you were looking for a contest with a perfect riding surface this wasn't really it, but it was a relaxed, fun time riding with my friends in the sun in front of some folks who were stoked to see just about everything we did.  I'm really glad Dowker put this one on, I'm there next year, and entering ramps too.     

Amateur Flat:

1st    Chip Spearman

2nd    Matt Yearwood

Pro Flat:

1st    Dane Beardsley

2nd   Andy Cooper

3rd    Aaron Behnke

4th    Jody Temple

5th    Jon Dowker

6th    Bob Walters

7th    Kent Pearson

8th    Darren Hough

9th    Darrin Wright

10th  Justin Falco

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 06:57:28 PM »
i got to the contest late.showed up in pro finals.contest didnt look all that tight to me.the ground was retard.everyone was falling.its sucks cuz that could be a really cool contest if the area was better.the best part of the trip was after  contest just going to a lot and riding.dane's wheel chair whip things are nice.(breakless now too)didnt get to ride with cooper at all but its always good to see him.falco, and bob too.aron seemed alittle tired but still hung out.didnt get to talk to kent or dowker to much they both seemed pretty busy with the contest stuff.street contest and best trick was cool.double tailwhips and flares both went down.nice.romans new swith footed,one handed, front yard  thing is nasty.got me really amped to ride agin.(ive been slacking hardkore latly)in all cool little trip.but they should have had the contest in that club they did the demo in at athens jam.

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 08:11:33 PM »
I wish more people would've entered.  There were a few people who came from out of town and never even got near the contest site.  That sucks considering John put a lot of time into making the contest happen.  If no one enters or at least comes out to show support than there won't be any more contests.  It seems like a lot of guys in flatland won't enter unless the area is EXACTLY like what they ride on at home, otherwise they dismiss the whole thing as lame.  I know the spot wasn't all that great but I'd rather have a contest with a bad area to ride in than no contest at all.  You never see the ramp riders complaining that there wasn't an national contest caliber spine ramp or a 15 foot long box or something.

Flatland in the club would've been cool but riding outside with all the activity around was really fun.  Lots of people who would've never otherwise seen riding got to see it up close.     
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 08:13:31 PM by D »

?uest

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 10:17:18 PM »
... You never see the ramp riders complaining that there wasn't an national contest caliber spine ramp or a 15 foot long box or something.

thats because they are too busy making sure their girl pants are tight enough

Offline JFos

• GF Inhabitant
    • www.myspace/richardmccoy.com
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 05:20:44 PM »
I wish more people would've entered.  There were a few people who came from out of town and never even got near the contest site.  That sucks considering John put a lot of time into making the contest happen.  If no one enters or at least comes out to show support than there won't be any more contests.  It seems like a lot of guys in flatland won't enter unless the area is EXACTLY like what they ride on at home, otherwise they dismiss the whole thing as lame.  I know the spot wasn't all that great but I'd rather have a contest with a bad area to ride in than no contest at all.  You never see the ramp riders complaining that there wasn't an national contest caliber spine ramp or a 15 foot long box or something.

Flatland in the club would've been cool but riding outside with all the activity around was really fun.  Lots of people who would've never otherwise seen riding got to see it up close.     

go to Voodoo D. Its a contest.  We were there D. Flatland in the club would have been better. Just my opinion. Not complaining about Dowkers huge effort either. Hell not even criticism in reality. Everyone who entered seamed to have fun.

It was exactly like a 89 AFA contest without uniforms and helmets.

You cant compare the Athens comp with any other contest realy. ITs not like Voodoo. Its a chance to promote flat sure...but I know people that diss big 100% real flatland contest's with perfect floors for every reason other than the actual venue. and worse they havent EVEN BEEN to any of that venue.

People support Dowker and this contest just like they do EVERY flatland contest...and then they weigh in on what they think would make it better.

I enjoyed riding with Roman adn everyone afterwards. I watched some street and had fun.

I dont think Ramp riders are f the nature to compain about ramps. different breeds..but Ive been saying that D. Notice in the AFA days no one complained...whats evolved since?
Schramm’s Law: “The single most important contributor to a nation’s economic growth is the number of startups that grow to a billion dollars in revenue within 20 years.”

Offline JFos

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 05:23:45 PM »
... You never see the ramp riders complaining that there wasn't an national contest caliber spine ramp or a 15 foot long box or something.

thats because they are too busy making sure their girl pants are tight enough

I will say this..I saw more fitted pants this year..and less bun huggy. Im thinking that over compensation period for big pants is over. YAY.

you realy should have a nice sized cock before trying to show it off...Im thinking girls that actually inspired the whole tighness thingy actually are ending it. "no you cant come home with me..I see what your working with."

We used to be able to lie about it.
Schramm’s Law: “The single most important contributor to a nation’s economic growth is the number of startups that grow to a billion dollars in revenue within 20 years.”

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 06:43:11 PM »

go to Voodoo D. Its a contest.  We were there D. Flatland in the club would have been better. Just my opinion. Not complaining about Dowkers huge effort either. Hell not even criticism in reality. Everyone who entered seamed to have fun.

It was exactly like a 89 AFA contest without uniforms and helmets.

You cant compare the Athens comp with any other contest realy. ITs not like Voodoo. Its a chance to promote flat sure...but I know people that diss big 100% real flatland contest's with perfect floors for every reason other than the actual venue. and worse they havent EVEN BEEN to any of that venue.

Oh, I wasn't thinking about Voodoo when I said that about the club.  John said he wanted to have the comp inside the club before the party next year.  I like being outside and riding in the middle of downtown, although a better surface would've been nice I think it was worth the tradeoff for the overall vibe.  But we'll see how it goes next year, I'm sure it will be fun.       

Dowkers comp felt more like a Wilkerson comp from the 90's.  Relaxed vibe, having fun with your friends, lots of people watching, and enjoying it.  People really liked Dowker getting called out by Bob Walters, it added a bit of spectacle to a sport the general public has a hard time understanding.  I laughed a lot and that rarely happens in contests for me.  I also liked throwing in old tricks.  : )   

It was way different than the AFA comp. AFA/NBL comps were DEAD serious, and there was a HUGE emphasis on schedules, rules, safety, presentation, and making sure your jersey was tucked in.  : )  Justin did a 360 to fakie on a quarter during his run and that would've been grounds for immediate DQ with Randy Loop running things.  A NBL official once tried to DQ me for wearing a Pro Tec with no chin strap in my flatland run instead of a regular BMX helmet that weighed 15 pounds and messed up my balance.  I don't see why having ramps at the contest was a detriment or a bad thing.       

Personally I thought the bad ground was a chance to see what my limitations were as a rider.  Dane and Andy were pretty unfazed. 

The point I was trying to make about the ramps was that one of the things I respect the most about ramp riders is that they have incredible adaptability - a guy might not usually ride a 6 ft spine but show up at a contest and ride one really well.  Ryan Nyquist never used to ride trails and would regularly win pro dirt!  Lot s of the best flatlanders are VERY particular about the surface they ride on, which is one of the reasons I think that Hoffman eventually washed his hands of us.  Nothing he ever did was good enough for us.     

Offline JFos

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 09:01:29 PM »
"If no one enters or at least comes out to show support than there won't be any more contests"

thats why I referenced Voodoo..nothing to do with Twighlight being in or out of a club.

Im saying come to Voodoo before you compare a Wilkerson or whatever style competition with Voodoo style contest's. Then give me a ride to it. lol

I personally think the club venue works best for a flat only contest but that had nothing to do with what I was saying.

On the AFA thing I only referenced that because it was a jont competition.

I would think however that any contest if you were looking at it as something to help FLATLANd grow would also be ran on tight schedules.. but for real reasons..like TV time and venue schedules.

and the surface at Voodoo is better than the spot we ride at home. lol

I dont even care about the hlmet thing...its not going to happen at any flatland contest period. People wont go. So that isnt what I was comparing with.

Support flatland contest to Darren not JUST "BMX" contest's.

Atleast go to Voodoo so you can see what its like.

I saw the AFA days..didnt care for them...been to ESPN contest's ...didnt care for them much..they operate on schedules to. Never been to a 2-Hip contest...cant now...but I can honestly say out of any type of contest Ive witnessed...Voodoo is my favorite. Then again I wouldnt care f I saw anyone riding ramps...thats not why I went . I'm pretty narrow mindedly a flatlander. lol.... You know that.

Not dissing Dowkers contest in anyway...just saying go check out Voodoo.

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 09:05:40 PM »
Alright alright, you make a convincing argument.  I'll have to check my schedule to see if I can go.