Author Topic: '87 General RL Osborn Pro  (Read 82634 times)

Evil_Lincoln

Re: '87 General RL Osborn Pro
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 09:56:20 PM »

Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder how much Redlines sales dropped when RL went to General.  Seems that a lot of people that were riding RL-20ll's switched over to Generals when he started riding for them.  Makes you think about how influential he was.

I think it was a big smack in the chops when Stu Thomsen went from Redline to Huffy!  My friends and I could not believe it when it happened.  I mean...Huffy, of all brands, was one we would NEVER buy no matter who rode their bikes.  I know Stu wasn't freestyle but still... 

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread, carry on with the General...!

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 09:59:08 PM »

Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder how much Redlines sales dropped when RL went to General.  Seems that a lot of people that were riding RL-20ll's switched over to Generals when he started riding for them.  Makes you think about how influential he was.

I think it was a big smack in the chops when Stu Thomsen went from Redline to Huffy!  My friends and I could not believe it when it happened.  I mean...Huffy, of all brands, was one we would NEVER buy no matter who rode their bikes.  I know Stu wasn't freestyle but still... 

Yeah,I remember that....Weren't the TEAM bikes custom though,like the Murray's?

Evil_Lincoln

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 10:07:55 PM »

Yeah,I remember that....Weren't the TEAM bikes custom though,like the Murray's?

I think the Murray frames were actually better than the Stu Thomsen frames.  I had a Murray X20C frame and it was TIG welded cromoly, not like the standard production Murray frames.  Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the frame Stu rode was the same as one you could buy in a store.  His components might not have been the same, but I really think the frame was.  Pics of him in magazines showed him on a bike with a chain guard and reflectors!!  That really sunk it for me...

oneeyedjoe

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 10:20:08 PM »
 hey ,but i would think his bike was cro-mo and the geometry to the man was a giant!111

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 10:36:07 PM »
This was the first peek we had. Remember this guys? All stealthy with no decals.

Evil_Lincoln

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 11:06:55 PM »
hey ,but i would think his bike was cro-mo and the geometry to the man was a giant!111

I'm betting his was the same as the ones you bought in Wal Mart.  I've never seen a single one with good welds or seen one that didn't have a stamped steel seatpost clamp and a spot-welded brake bridge.  On the other hand, the X20C was cromoly and was TIG welded...at least Murray tried to do something cool.  Huffy just put Stu's name on one of their mild-steel mig-welded bombs and paid Stu big $$ to ride it...

Offline dug

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 04:03:09 PM »
This was the first peek we had. Remember this guys? All stealthy with no decals.

Yes.
I have a General Osborn Hustler, the lower end heavy one. I like the twin top tube and the decals survived really well. Its one of the black ones:

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/general/16858

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 12:24:20 AM »

Yes.
I have a General Osborn Hustler, the lower end heavy one. I like the twin top tube and the decals survived really well. Its one of the black ones:

I have looked at that Bike 1000's of times and said to myself,"If it were only CHROME" I love the setup though.......Very Nice.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 12:55:12 AM »
YEAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S HERE!!!  PIX LATER.................;D

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 02:28:03 AM »
Ok, it has CHROME Nippons and OG White pads, Chrome 4pc GT bars, the ones Animal copied for Bob Scerbo. Polished Dk mini stem, Blk and Silver ACS levers, Black GT seatpost clamp, Chrome GT laidback seatpost, Black GT seat, Black Gen 1 Odyssey Gyro with all cables, Grey Shimano XTR rear Centerpulls. Black grips and barends. ;D  I am 1 Happy Camper folks !!!!!!  Oh yeah, No Cracks, dents or rewelds!!! so tomorrow is breakdown and pics.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 04:16:32 AM »
LOTS of Polishing to do, can't wait for my Chrome to show up from Cali. and FL. ;D

Offline dug

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 05:18:24 AM »

Yes.

I have looked at that Bike 1000's of times and said to myself,"If it were only CHROME" I love the setup though.......Very Nice.

Thanks--I've love for it to be chrome too, I may be headed that direction with it now coincedentally

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 05:23:22 AM »
show us the rough "before" shots man. i wanna see how it rolled  out the barn
I plan on it, I hope I have the Sun like we did today, I almost forgot what it looked like.
 if not, then on the kitchen table with lots of light. ;D

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 05:25:49 AM »

Yes.

Thanks--I've love for it to be chrome too, I may be headed that direction with it now coincedentally
That will be killer. Pm'd you. ;D

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 12:45:28 AM »
First shots,non cleaned.Not even wiped down with a rag.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 12:48:15 AM by JUGGARNAUT »