Author Topic: How to properly tune a Ufree/Boo2/Runkai  (Read 23979 times)

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
Re: How to properly tune a Ufree/Boo2/Runkai
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 09:56:59 PM »
So... right now, if I lift my back wheel off the ground and spin it backwards, my U-Free strangely engages sporadically and direct drives my cranks for short intervals (then disengages, then engages again, repeat). When the wheel is on the ground, it doesn't seem to do it, but it bugs the crap out of me for it to do that at all... tried adjusting the little clutch tension ball things, but it doesn't seem to be remedying it at all. Anyone got any advice on what to adjust in my hub to stop this insanity?

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 07:09:41 PM »
Do you have a chain tensioner?  There was also a bit on the forum somewhere about jamming a grip donut or two into the bottom bracket to provide extra friction.  Don't know if that stuff would help -does sound like the hub needs some sort of tweak though.  Wish I could help but I've only got minimal experience with my crappy oddball taska on the freak of nature 24tpi axle lol

Offline Glimmer

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 09:39:23 PM »
Hey thank's big help as i never had any pictures or diagram for the Runkai Freecoaster but i think im going to get a Geisha light or a Nankia as they are the best i did'nt relise that the Runkai is just a copy of the u-free coaster,i feel a bit conned on the price as FlatlandFuel sell the u-free for just over $100 and Kunstform charge me 179euro which is a bit of a difference anyway thank's very much.

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 01:14:06 AM »
Argh... okay, hub keeps having issues. My ufree doesn't backpedal when I roll the bike backwards while im not on it... but it almost always engages when im on the backwheel and I have the bike leaned over with force on the wheel (like in a lardyard). Getting real tired of it... anyone have any ideas how to remedy this or what could be the issue?

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 04:30:07 PM »
Read back through the earlier posts in this thread and you will probably find some tips.  I know from experience that not all those hubs were created equal -mine didn't have the adjustable set screws and looked slightly different from pics of other ppl's same hubs =p There was a tip about cramming a grip donut into your bottom bracket too -I tried that and it helped a little -chain tension was something that was pretty important but still not 100% fix.  I ended up breaking down and getting a Geisha Light in the end though.

Offline pine

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 07:25:30 AM »
geisha and nankai for the win lol

g sport needs to release their hub freecoaster http://free-coaster.com/html/g-sport.html
Caribbean sun rocks    !!!

Offline JonMack

• Hitchhiker
    • JonMack
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 06:22:06 PM »
I took mine apart this weekend following the advice in this thread. There are a few things I noticed.

1) Getting the driver off is a sh*t! I ended up doing as someone said previously and smashing it with a hammer/screwdriver which worked eventually.
2) My clutch was snapped
3) I couldn't get the bearing race off.

So after stripping it completely I cleaned all the grease off of everything, epoxied the clutch back together and put it all back together with plenty of grease. I did the 7/8ths on the clutch screws and it's completely eliminated all ghost pedalling, the only thing now is that while before I had maybe 1/8th turn slack, I now get around 3/4 of a turn! First time I jumped on it I nearly went over the bars! So I'm going to have to take it apart again and find some washers that I can put behind the bearing race to push it over a lot, has anyone got any idea how much space needs to be taken up behind the bearing race to get it back down to 1/8th?

Offline Ken NJ

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 09:55:14 PM »
I think my clutch is snapped too.. It's in two pieces and there are three broken welds.. Can this still be used?
flat rules everything around me f.r.e.a.m.

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 10:13:27 PM »
If you re-weld it; othwise no. Brakeless has them: http://blog.brakeless.ch/products/wheels-co
A little pricey tho, half the cost of the hub at FF.
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline Ken NJ

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 04:20:58 AM »
Darnitall!! My back wheel is wasted for a bit then.. Thanks for the link!

Offline MAYTRICKS

• Backpacker
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 04:37:44 AM »

Glue it with loctite epoxy weld bonding compound. It may be at the very least a temporary solution until you can replace your hub.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/epoxies.shtml

Offline Ken NJ

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 07:39:39 PM »
Word up! Thanks! We will see if it holds...

Offline ramon_flat

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 02:13:08 AM »
If you get your bearing cones perfectly adjusted before you put the wheel on the frame and then when you tighten up your pegs, I bet it is pushing the bearing cones in just enough to tighten them too far.
It takes a little practice and feeling the right amount -but try leaving a bearing cone on one side a hair loose (about an 8th turn) -then when you tighten your pegs it will bring it all into perfect adjustment.
I tighten a peg up on one side and on the loose cone side I get the peg ready to tighten up -with just a full turn left to go.  I leave a cone wrench on the loose side to play with the feel -and usually when I tighten the peg up the first time I find I have it a little loose still -just loosen the peg a turn and then turn the cone just a 16th or 8th of a turn.  You can feel the play if you grab your tire and try rocking your wheel back and forth perpendicular to the axle.

That play, does not affect the axle or bearings?
FLATLAND PARA SEMPRE