Author Topic: Who are the best flatlanders who have totally quit riding?  (Read 46883 times)

Offline thestraw

• Backpacker
Re: Who are the best flatlanders who have totally quit riding?
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2010, 01:06:23 AM »
" corystrat:  As far as the best flatland riders that do not ride any longer, the name that comes to my mind is Richard Z who died in a car accident in 94 (I believe) while returning home from the York Jam when someone fell asleep at the wheel and they crashed, so the story goes.    For those of you who are unfamiliar with this guy, he designed the Graveyard bars, refined our coaster shells and even did cross foot half packers way back in the early 90's.  Then if you had ever seen him spin a time machine, it was like watching someone become animated.    I personally feel as though there should be a documentary solely about this guy and what he has done for our sport and the bikes we ride.     "

nobody has ever spun on a flat bike like richard.  lord have mercy.  i was at the '94 york jam and saw him ride.  him and edgar p. wrecked shop all day; it was almost 2 months after the crash (july 1st, 1994) that i found out, thats how information used to travel

+1!!!!!!

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2010, 09:42:38 AM »

EDGAR STILL RIDES TOO
FOR HIS CHURCH AND FOR CHRIST!

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2010, 06:50:16 PM »
  As far as the best flatland riders that do not ride any longer, the name that comes to my mind is Richard Z who died in a car accident in 94 (I believe) while returning home from the York Jam when someone fell asleep at the wheel and they crashed, so the story goes. 

For those of you who are unfamiliar with this guy, he designed the Graveyard bars, refined our coaster shells and even did cross foot half packers way back in the early 90's.  Then if you had ever seen him spin a time machine, it was like watching someone become animated. 

I personally feel as though there should be a documentary solely about this guy and what he has done for our sport and the bikes we ride.     

+1
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2010, 07:04:34 PM »
Larry Bull / Today = http://www.cems.uwe.ac.uk/~lbull/

This guy used to ride flat? I swear I've heard the name before. Got any vids or links to vids of him riding?
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.

byke

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2010, 07:24:05 PM »
Larry Bull / Today = http://www.cems.uwe.ac.uk/~lbull/

This guy used to ride flat? I swear I've heard the name before. Got any vids or links to vids of him riding?

Small bit here at  26:50  .... I only had a quick scan so there should be more on that video

SOB flatland video
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:30:53 PM by byke »

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2010, 08:24:17 PM »
Yeah...that video is awesome Byke...thanks for posting.

I REALLY liked the clips of Larry Bull.  Seems he was way ahead of the times...like Andrew Farris before Andrew Farris.  

Nice.

Oh also, Byke do you know John Yull by chance?  I was riding with him yesterday and we had a bit of a bunnyhop 180 mini-session and he was trying that rollback boomerang that Larry Bull does in that clip.  He made the comment to me, "That's an oldie but goodie".  I thought that was odd, as I had never seen that trick before Steve Mulder did it, but apparently, it is an old trick. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 08:58:34 PM by tod.borndead »
"A puppet no more!"

Offline DLSJ_BermudaRider

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2010, 09:08:35 PM »
Jesus Christ! No wonder Larry Bull got a degree in computer science! The guy's so f*cking technical! If only he would've kept up! There's no telling where flatland would be right now!

Offline demangone

• Forkglider
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2010, 07:47:44 AM »
I see Sean Peters cruising around town a lot and riding in some lots from time to time. I don't know if that's what everyone is considering "still riding" but he's always on an Azrael when I see him around.

Offline hijito

• Backpacker
  • Korosu!
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2010, 01:36:03 PM »
Mike McPhaden. He used to ride with Desroche years ago. He was ahead of his time as far as the rolling stuff goes.

Marsan up in Quebec. Jesse Cantore in PA.

is he the guy who did cliffhanger kickflip in La Revolution vid from 02 ?

byke

« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2010, 02:43:10 PM »
Oh also, Byke do you know John Yull by chance?  I was riding with him yesterday and we had a bit of a bunnyhop 180 mini-session and he was trying that rollback boomerang that Larry Bull does in that clip.  He made the comment to me, "That's an oldie but goodie".  I thought that was odd, as I had never seen that trick before Steve Mulder did it, but apparently, it is an old trick. 

I remember the name John Yull, but not from the UK riding scene but more so the homeless trash video. He was real good. He was a UK rider who emigrated to the us as far as I remember.

Offline Furball

• GF Inhabitant
  • New York rules, Boston drools!
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2010, 03:02:25 PM »
Mike McPhaden. He used to ride with Desroche years ago. He was ahead of his time as far as the rolling stuff goes.

Marsan up in Quebec. Jesse Cantore in PA.

is he the guy who did cliffhanger kickflip in La Revolution vid from 02 ?

Cory Stratychuk (cliffhanger kickflip at 1:25)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQllJsPiFhk[/youtube]

Remember, grammar is the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse", and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".

I just started getting into flatland stuff about 3 days ago and suck so far, I blame my sh*tty bike and lack of practice.

« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2010, 04:12:44 AM »

THATS GOOD TO HEAR SEAN PETERS STILL ON THE BIKE
HE STILL WORKS FOR UPS THERE IN PITTSBURGH...RIGHT?

Offline demangone

• Forkglider
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2010, 05:54:43 AM »

I have no idea where he works, sometimes I see him with a fishing pole. Maybe he's a fisherman.

Offline Young Pestle da Crusha

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2010, 04:22:25 PM »
I think thestraw should quit. Then we could convert him into a GF document.

Offline Red43j

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2010, 02:24:26 AM »

Mutt-
I saw him the other summer. He was riding his old black Azreal, with a backpack and a fishing pole. I was out riding with Trey Leeper, and he rides up to Trey and I and starts talking(hes an old friend of Treys). Talk about crapping my pants. Trey told him to bust out some of the old stuff, and Sean threw down some stuff, but really wasn't prepared. I wish he would get interested again, his spinning style was just awesome to watch.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 01:39:23 PM by Red43j »
Looking to sell Standard parts? I'm looking for Chrome stuff. Decals. Standard Pegs. Coaster Shells. White Dia Compe Tech 77's? You got 'em? Howzabout a 1992 Haro Ground Master F&F? I may just want them...
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” -Will Rogers