Author Topic: Taska u free- Ares Boo 2 problem... You also ?  (Read 9287 times)

Offline coaster

• GF Inhabitant
Taska u free- Ares Boo 2 problem... You also ?
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:44:10 PM »
I got that sealed 2nd version last year. At first it was nice. But now it get's me mad. It only works when i tight my cranks very very hard. Other ways it ghost pedals in both directions.
I sealed it and it doesn't change. Maybe i  grind the part of the driver that fits into the sealed bearing? By the way, the axle isn't bendet. So that is not the point.

Offline Wouter van der Linde

• GF Inhabitant
    • Dutchflatland
Re: Taska u free- Ares Boo 2 problem... You also ?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 01:16:47 PM »
yup i have the taska u free too, and i have ghostpedaling also, really annoying, i greased the sh*t and did everyting but nothing helps, now im running an really tight chain, and with really tight i mean really tight, you cant move it.. and now my coaster works..
but i think an really tight chain cant be good..

Offline Ken NJ

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 02:17:32 PM »
Yeah, I have the boo 2 too, and I got sound advice from an industry vet, you must run your chain tighter than your pants.. Well maybe it doesn't have to be that tight but it has to be tight.. ;D :beer:
flat rules everything around me f.r.e.a.m.

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 02:53:17 PM »
I've never had this problem and I have two taska u-free wheels built up. I run my chain tight (as you should) but not absurdly tight. Maybe just give it some time to break in or check your chain alignment. My advice is not to grind or f*ck with the components in any way. Once I got my first one from ff all I did was build it up and ride it for over a year and haven't had any problems with it (if it ain't broke don't fix it, or tinker with it). You shouldn't have to go all OCD and regrease it once you get it. Just run you chain straight and tight and make sure the cones are counter-locked.
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.

Offline smiley (Roy)

• GF Inhabitant
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 02:54:03 PM »
Make sure the set screws are turned out the same on the clutch.

-Roy
If you are for real, you probably spend enough time on your bike that there's no time left for talking sh*t on message boards.

Of course, if all you do is talk sh*t on message boards, you're probably not as good or as cool as you think you are.

-- McGoo

Offline Wouter van der Linde

• GF Inhabitant
    • Dutchflatland
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 06:53:03 PM »
I've never had this problem and I have two taska u-free wheels built up. I run my chain tight (as you should) but not absurdly tight. Maybe just give it some time to break in or check your chain alignment. My advice is not to grind or f*ck with the components in any way. Once I got my first one from ff all I did was build it up and ride it for over a year and haven't had any problems with it (if it ain't broke don't fix it, or tinker with it). You shouldn't have to go all OCD and regrease it once you get it. Just run you chain straight and tight and make sure the cones are counter-locked.

maybe thats my problem... my chain is pretty good aligned, but not perfect..

Offline coaster

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 08:41:23 PM »
When i turn my wheel it stops turnin after some sec. That sucks doing trix like deathtruck.  Even when i hold it in my hands and spin it without a chain that stops it. I did grease it and the kones are no too tight. That freecoster slowes me down.

Offline coaster

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 09:43:30 PM »

-Roy
Maybe my gap is to small

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 10:02:18 PM »

-Roy
Maybe my gap is to small

Yes could be, also: chain alignment is important and the cones should be locked tight against each other but not too snug against the bearings, they should allow the wheel to roll freely when you hold it by the axle while off the bike

Offline coaster

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 10:12:16 PM »
Even when i take apart all the cones and hold the fresh greased wheelaxle in my hand it stops to rotate in a few seconds. I never had that problem with any other freecoaster. Even with the first Acs and that was a worse one to regrease. You also had that one Brandon?

Offline chaincranker

• Forkglider
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 10:48:30 PM »
I've got one of these and I am not happy with it. It ghost pedals a lot.

I've noticed that the clutch is made from 2 pieces with 3 little welds holding them together. There's the piece that has the 3 little screws to adjust the slack, and the piece that has the knurling (the part that contacts the shell - the clutch itself).

Mine's broken. The welds broke. And they are tiny so I wouldn't be surprised if this has happened to other people too. The coaster still works but it ghost pedals a lot. I think it's because the clutch sometimes doesn't fully disengage from the shell since the two pieces come apart when they shouldn't.

I haven't had anyone weld it back together for me because I don't want to have to go some time without having a back wheel.

I am curious if anybody else has seen this too.
-Andy

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 01:22:28 AM »
Even when i take apart all the cones and hold the fresh greased wheelaxle in my hand it stops to rotate in a few seconds. I never had that problem with any other freecoaster. Even with the first Acs and that was a worse one to regrease. You also had that one Brandon?

No mine spins almost as good as a front wheel does. Sounds like your bearings might be shot (this can happen from running the chain too tight). If you take the bearings out and twist them with your hands with as much side-load pressure as you can with your hands and notice a lot of notchiness--this means its new bearing time.

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 04:07:34 AM »
I've got one of these and I am not happy with it. It ghost pedals a lot.

I've noticed that the clutch is made from 2 pieces with 3 little welds holding them together. There's the piece that has the 3 little screws to adjust the slack, and the piece that has the knurling (the part that contacts the shell - the clutch itself).

Mine's broken. The welds broke. And they are tiny so I wouldn't be surprised if this has happened to other people too. The coaster still works but it ghost pedals a lot. I think it's because the clutch sometimes doesn't fully disengage from the shell since the two pieces come apart when they shouldn't.

I haven't had anyone weld it back together for me because I don't want to have to go some time without having a back wheel.

I am curious if anybody else has seen this too.
-Andy

On at least one of mine the welds connecting the two clutch pieces are broken too (I got it used and the guy never had it re-welded), the other I'm not sure since I never had to touch it. The one with the broken welds works the same as my original one did when it was new. However, if you think that's the problem you can go to a hardware store and buy this stuff called JB weld (it's like two different kinds of playdoh that once you mix them together they act as a very strong bonding agent (hence the name JB weld)). Just be sure to clean off all the grease on the clutch pieces first using a powerful enough solvent, then connect the two pieces and apply the JB weld where the original welds were but go all the way around the clutch instead of just three shabby spots. I planned to this myself but then, as I said, mine works as good as new even with the welds being cracked so I haven't bothered. I hope this helps guys.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 04:10:15 AM by Brandon Fenton »

Offline Andras

• Backpacker
    • http://www.original-gypsy.com
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 03:38:23 PM »
I also had bitter experience with these hubs. It was far from being reliable, kept on ghostpedaling a lot and one day the driver snapped in two pieces from just gaining speed for a trick. Never again. I only trust Nankais, they never let me down.

Offline sbroflatland

• Cliffhanger
  • ga_goosh
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 09:35:22 PM »
do the grip flange bb mod it might help you to not run such a tight chain.

http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=31329.0