Author Topic: WHATS YOUR FAVORITE SEAT ??  (Read 16262 times)

byke

WHATS YOUR FAVORITE SEAT ??
« on: December 29, 2009, 06:29:32 PM »
WHATS YOUR FAVORITE SEAT ??

I recently tried to modify a "Odyssey Senior2 Plastic Pivotal Seat" and I must say its not a very nice shape.

For holding its just about ok, but for sitting on its awful.
I wanted to reshape it to look more similar to an old skyway hotseat ..... but its just too slim (No cheek support).

I am starting to wonder why so many seats are so awful at present.
I know it costs an arm and a leg for the moulds ..... and close to impossible to cad a nice seat .....But even so.

I have never really dealt with plastics before but I am wondering if its possible to use some sort of plastic or polyurethane foam to reshape a seat  and then cover it with epoxy resin ?

Anyone here have any experience with plastics?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 08:37:00 PM by martin »

Offline Collin T.

• Hitchhiker
Re: WHATS YOUR FAVORITE SEAT ??
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:10:44 PM »
old ares, the velo one.  So nice to the knees.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 08:38:11 PM by martin »

Offline Furball

• GF Inhabitant
  • New York rules, Boston drools!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:25:51 PM »
I know it costs an arm and a leg for the moulds .....

Grip and seat molds are fairly cheap compared to a tire mold.

Primo Steroid: $12 (discontinued), Capriole (aka Sunset, Nidd, etc.): $12 (currently on sale for $8).
Why KHE's Watanabe retails for $28 (for a seat that costs $3 to make) is beyond my knowledge.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 08:38:01 PM by martin »
Remember, grammar is the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse", and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".

I just started getting into flatland stuff about 3 days ago and suck so far, I blame my sh*tty bike and lack of practice.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 08:29:37 PM »
My first job was working at a plastic injection molding company...I understand how expensive making a new mold can be.  We did all custom work...

Anywho, Byke...I really don't see how you could do what you propose.  

You can't find a Hot Seat on EBay?  BTW...everytime I see people with the nose cut of their seats, I think of the Hot Seat.  Maybe they should re-release it?  I think it would be a good seller...with some new mods to it like nose and rear grips.  

I like the 99er.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 08:37:31 PM by martin »
"A puppet no more!"

Offline diggerbrown

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 09:22:48 PM »
99er,because they feel great,won't slip in your hands and soft on your ass..  You can cut them down and glue the cloth back down.Just great seat.

byke

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 09:24:01 PM »
I actually own a couple of old hotseats but they are old and very worn .... and new ones cost an arm and a leg 100 usd+ depending on colour .....

I think I may try using a 2 pack polyurethane foam and mould it to shape and then try and cover it with glass fibre and epoxy resin.

the problem is what I do with it afterwards, a obviously once the shape is perfected I then need to make a reverse mould ....

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 09:40:51 PM »
I love Skyway Hot Seats, and I searched for them too....no luck!

Primo Steroid was good, now I have a Fit version of the Odyssey seat Byke was talking about. Very minimal, like the Skyway seat....MAYBE I'll shave it down in length, but probably not!

byke

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 09:51:44 PM »
I have a load of brand new primo steroids in y collection also , but they are too flat and give you dead ass.

Offline SNOOP

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 11:02:31 PM »
If i were going to try my shot at making my own mold..Id get the seat sanded and formed with expanding foam, a little fiberglass bondo, fiber glass resin, and some fiberglass cloth.

Id get some tall pan like for brownies grease the insides really good so the foam doesnt stick..alot of cans of expanding foam..AFTER ive reached the desired contour of my seat, id cover the seat with a light coating of grease/petroleum jelly. And give the seat a nice tight wrap as if i were rewrapping it in some material top and bottom *making sure to get the wrapping down and formed around the supports and pivotal portion or just skip the bottom..cut the bottom piece off the pivotal seat and fiberglass it to your new creation, but continue reading...*load pan with enough expanding foam that you get a nice..reusable impression *if trying to duplicate the pivotal portion..completely submerge seat..or add expanding foam over the top after making your impression with the opposite side*
If trying to make the bottom portion you will then you will essentially have foam overgrown through the pan. You need to remove the foam as a whole from the pan. After the foam is removed *if trying to make both sides, if just the top side you should be staring at your mold after the seat has been removed carefully from impressioning it.*You will need to symetrically cut the mold right in half horizontally, thus revealing your lower and upper portions of your seat mold.
Grease the insides where your seat impression is.. Lay down a not to thick..but decent layer of fiberglass mating cut overlappingly for the seat mold. Take your fiberglass resin and a paint brush..and apply ample amounts of resin *Resin is just like clear fiberglass in itself* all over the matting in the mold. Let dry..check..apply more. Eventaully your going to get close to the desired look you were wanting..along with it becoming harder and feeling/looking more like YOUR seat. Depending on how good your mold is you mite not have to do much fine tuning upon the top/bottoms. But this is sorta a trial and error method towards making your own seat. Ive made numerous small automotive clips,emblems, and other imitions of metal automotive products this same way. Hope ive been of some help...

Offline SNOOP

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 11:14:49 PM »
^^^ To add to that..Modded Ody Senior, and modded  Macniel Collier/whatever other flavor's my favorite.

Offline laughingmonkey

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 11:46:03 PM »
I love my travis collier seat, the older one.  But I must say the odyssey plastic seats are very uncomfortable on the rear. 
-------            --------
         \         /
           ------
           \___/

----  .__o
----- _-\_<,
---  (*)/'(*)

Offline Peter Hollinger

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 12:12:37 AM »
The first gen OG seat is/was dope. I carved the back out, best pivotal seat out.

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 03:24:38 AM »
Nice job!!

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 03:34:30 AM »
here's mine.                 what???

Offline Pat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 03:46:22 AM »
The first gen OG seat is/was dope. I carved the back out, best pivotal seat out.

i have the same and man i wish i didnt trade my other to jowii! lol
SLOflatlander-Central Coast California Flatland