Author Topic: 2 piece bar trend over yet??  (Read 24524 times)

TJ Perry

Re: 2 piece bar trend over yet??
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2009, 10:28:18 PM »
where can one buy the sepy bars?

I would rock these in an instant.

random-dude

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2009, 11:26:46 PM »
I don't care what other people ride.

I used to.

But then I got over it.

I eventually figured out that me ranting at fashion kids about function is a waste of time.  I'm old, they're young, and in some of their minds that means my opinion is redundant, no matter how much sense it makes.  If Hoang Tran can barspin 28" bars, then there's nothing wrong with 28" bars; and no amount of me explaining the geometry and mechanics of how a barspin works is going to get any of them to cut anything off their bars... well, not until Mr. Next-Big-Thing shows up with a set of 24 inch bars and starts a new trend.

jm

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2009, 02:31:23 AM »
2 piece flatland bars aren't really trendy at all; they look like the other 95% of bmx bars out there.
It's part of mainstreaming the "look" of flatland in my opinion.

The tricks are starting to stand out more than the bikes. I support that! Personally, I'm starting to get burned out on the look of super flashy, over designed, meticulously color-coordinated bikes.   To me it's like a chef with neon-lit knives. too much...

Blades cut, bikes ride.
2 piece is straight to the point.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 02:39:58 AM by jm »

g-man

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2009, 02:46:29 AM »
Hey, if you dont need the clearance because your skills are that honed thats cool.

This post wasn't about hating on 2 piece in general,,, it was about BIG 2piece bars where the U in the bar is so wide that you bang up your legs on it. Like I said Big 2 piece bars look dumb on skinny frames with lots of clearance.

It has nothing to do with over design or flashyness because to me a kneesaver 4 piece design if very functional to my riding ability.

Offline Aeons of Flat

• Backpacker
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2009, 02:47:28 AM »
I am just about to switch over to some heartbreaker bars for a change, anyone know much on them?

TJ Perry

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2009, 06:11:34 AM »
All of the pro arguments for the two piece design are the same ones that Nev used to make about Ronin bars. Not saying that's a bad thing, it's just funny that it has come full circle. Again. And again.

Offline lamehead

• Backpacker
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2009, 06:30:46 AM »
Switched from 4pc to 2pc b/c my wrists weer killing me from riding street. 2 pc have a little more flex in them (or thats what i think) so I switched. I haven't had as many wrist problems since then, that was 2006.

I probably will switch to big bars soon to see if that helps me with back issues (I do go to a chriopracter). I haven't switched yet b/c I really despise wide crossbars.

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2009, 04:15:24 PM »
A good few years ago when Fly Bikes were putting out flat stuff still under the Flybikes name they made an AWESOME 2pc flatland bar.

Perfect backsweep, and the bends were tight so there was still lots of room.

wish someone would remake those!
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline lamehead

• Backpacker
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2009, 04:53:21 PM »
you mean the suelo bars that are actually 2pc? Those are the ones I am running.

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2009, 06:09:35 PM »

They might be the same bar I guess, but the ones I had were under the FlyBikes brand - I cant remember if they called them Gomez bars (as it was the same time he was on the time) or Suelo bars.
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline Furball

• GF Inhabitant
  • New York rules, Boston drools!
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2009, 06:20:48 PM »

They might be the same bar I guess, but the ones I had were under the FlyBikes brand - I cant remember if they called them Gomez bars (as it was the same time he was on the time) or Suelo bars.

The name of those bars are Fly Bikes "Suelo Alto" (alto = high), and Fly Bikes "Suelo Bajo" (bajo = low).

7.5" (Suelo Alto), 6.7" (Suelo Bajo), 5° backsweep, 0°upsweep.

Fly Bikes Suelo Alto
http://www.global-flat.com/parts/part/480

Fly Bikes Suelo Alto & Bajo
http://www.global-flat.com/parts/part/493
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 06:29:29 PM by Furball »
Remember, grammar is the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse", and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".

I just started getting into flatland stuff about 3 days ago and suck so far, I blame my sh*tty bike and lack of practice.

Offline Rad255

• GF Inhabitant
  • Just laugh.
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2009, 06:21:46 PM »
I love the feel of four piece bars. I've been riding Animal Bob bars since forever. I've changed back and forth between other bars just to try them, but I just love the feel of four piece bars. I cut a inch off each side and they're money. I'm psyched to try Chad Degroot's Deco bars when they come out, 2 piece with a four piece feel supposedly.

Back on topic. Two piece bars are awesome just because I can go over to Dan's and buy them for usually a third or half the price of any flatland specific bar. Not only that but they're also one of the few parts that you can get from your "regular" bmx friends hahaha.

katobmx

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2009, 07:02:42 PM »
oh and I'd like to add anybody can ride and buy what you want. I don't have to tell you that haha ^_^

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2009, 07:18:58 PM »
So do folks running 2 piece bars have to defend themselves now due to this thread? I'm currently running 7.5" Shadow Anti-Sweep bars that I found online for $40. I looked them up because most "flatland" bars at that height were easily $30 to $50 bucks more and in most cases heavier. I wanted to try out the taller bars, and I also thought I'd go back to 2-piece to see if it helped problems with my elbows that I started having. I say "go back" because 5 or so years ago I swore by 2-piece bars in the form of Odyssey Milk Bars. I'd have liked to find some old Ronin bars instead of the Shadow's, but no luck with that, so now I'm running "street" bars. And they feel pretty nice btw.

What I don't get is would it even be called out as a "trend" if the 2 piece bars in question were put out by a flatland company and labeled "flatland bars"? Why care so much about "street" or "flatland" anyways? Maybe the real issue is how threads like this are indicative of how flatland has seperated itself so far from bmx in general that "non-flatland" companies want very little to do with it? All I know is that if I show up to a jam or session with my setup and I get funky vibes for it, then I'll get my "f*ck you's" out of the way early by posting them here.  ;D

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
    • My Art For Free & For Sale
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2009, 08:02:10 PM »
I think 2 piece bar popularity also rose along w/ the recent release of more simple, straight tube frames.  I'm sure pros had some influence on them too.

But as much as I hate on some trends if you think about it, honestly, nothing would ever progress and change if it weren't for trends.  Everything would just stay the same.
If people really were getting 2 piece bars for the need of something bigger maybe this would influence flat companies to make taller/wider bars as well.

I wonder if there are any pure street riders that ride flat bars...