Author Topic: Standard Bykes back in the flat game?!?.....  (Read 34904 times)

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Standard Bykes back in the flat game?!?.....
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2009, 07:56:29 AM »
Most of the bikes with the WAY oversized platforms and useless standing areas didn't last long because most everyone realized that wasn't the way to go.

After maybe 1987, nobody was coming out with junk like that because it wasn't selling, because it wasn't practical.  Most every bike with platforms either had a tasteful double top tube or a smallish GT/Hutch seattube platform.  Those bikes are the ones that normally people talk about liking back in the day.

I agree that the double tt was the most tasteful of the platforms.  LOL.  That being said I dont think that is the direction Standard would go.  Sure Rick broke TONS of Haros with double tt's before Standard.
Brian

Offline bmxrestoration

• Forkglider
« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2009, 09:57:19 AM »
i do hope you lot get all these ideas down to a few so something can be built
what a perfect opportunity to get what you want built or just go to sbc and have your own idea custom built.
ive had a few customs built to my own kinda spec and love the concept.
i built this old 1997 yesterday..

the perfect time to get what ever you want built..sbc forever.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2009, 12:05:22 PM »
Sweet build! Your missing brake pads in the rear..

Offline bmxrestoration

• Forkglider
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2009, 12:11:50 PM »
the pads are attached look at the top of the slot ,you can just see the 10mm nut.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2009, 08:06:23 PM »
yeah, great build...those jad cranks are sweet - always wanted one but the prices being asked for them=insane. the jad arms look long, what length? 180s or 175s? or is it the camera angle?

Offline bmxrestoration

• Forkglider
« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2009, 08:30:45 PM »
they are 180s ,i know of a short set but cant get my hands on them yet.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2009, 08:43:51 PM »
when you say short - how short? i didn't know that jad made arms shorter then 175...the jad stuff was mostly for bicycle motocross, mtbs and time trials - their freestyle bmx products weren't too popular due to the prices and design.

Offline bmxrestoration

• Forkglider
« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2009, 08:46:23 PM »
they did a junior set around 145 ,short run i believe with the plate on the back and not the holes.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2009, 09:06:23 PM »
thanks...good to know. do u mind if i ask what's the market price on a nos jad cranks? its the version with the holey back plate. 180mm, red

Offline bmxrestoration

• Forkglider
« Reply #129 on: December 28, 2009, 09:13:12 PM »
not sure but wouldnt let mine go for under £150
had this set a few years now.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2009, 09:18:06 PM »
right, thanks - a local bike shop has a set for sale, but it's 180mm and they are asking $400 for their jad.

byke

« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2009, 09:21:36 PM »
not sure but wouldnt let mine go for under £150
had this set a few years now.

Dan,
If you can weazle them Hoffman first gen forks off Dave Paul .... I will send you a box of standard goodies which I am sure you would be happy with ;)

Offline bmxrestoration

• Forkglider
« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2009, 09:28:21 PM »
mark
leave it with me.. 

Offline das-owal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2009, 10:56:05 PM »
I love the Idea of an flatlandframe with SBC quality and never understood why they stoped building flatland parts! So thanks for THIS possibility!

All tubes dubble butted. head, seattube and bottom bracked machined from the inside. Rustproof coating inside, outside just clear with coloured pigments or powder coating.
A Standart logo machined on the headtube.

Dropouts:
5mm thick with 3/8" slots & 14mm cutting lines. Weld the seat and chainstays on the inside of the dropouts, or flush with the dropouts. No capped seat and chainstays. Build in chain tensioner so they don't come between peg and frame.

Chainstays:
12.8-13" Tires max 1.95

Gear:
15/8-25/11

Top and down tube:
Should be out the way. Bend tubes are better then crossed for strenght.
Diverent length like  18, 18.5, 19, 19.5?
Removeble pivots, gyrotabs and cablehangers for 2 cables.

Headtube:
Low so no more problems with to short forkshafts. 74.8-75°

Seattube around 73°

Weight between 1.6-2 kg

It seams that a lot of people hate european companys and blame them for weak parts...
Did anyone of you guys want to ride a frame over 2 kg or a bike with is over 15 kg?
I don't think so. 
As I knew those european companys were some of the first companys that try to build ligther parts and hell year some of them are sh*t but some of them just make the way for better products that are ligther.
And jes we are all test riders cause we'r not in the MTB industry!
Just think about the coasts to produce a new part! After a few jears other companys can build simmilar parts and also have the knowlede witch comes from riders using parts from the companys that have these ideas first...
Thats normaly the point why most parts look the same (pivotal saddles etc.)!
And by the way Paul Osika did triks most of the new flatland rider still trying, with heavy as f*ck bikes back in the days... Respect for riders like him and companys as SBC because they ar the backbone of our sport!
But without those inovative companys we all still ride heavy bikes!
I can't say that I borke less part with my heavy bike few jears ago but I can say that I'm don't want to ride a heavy bike ever again! As I don't wana street style straigth tube bike again!
As I can see today riders buy parts because of trends as theyr riding follows trend...
Inovative parts and inovative riding! Haters drink Haterade!
... or maybe they are just little kids bikes and we should grow up!        Paul Osika

TJ Perry

« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2009, 11:33:15 PM »
I agree with the above but I'd really like the chainstays to be at least 13.25. Anything smaller is just cramped and uncomfortable.

I also do not think paul should be given a single part as long as he stays underground and out of sight. There are too many good riders deserving of help for a company to be flowing things to someone who won't even make a public appearance out of fear of someone else "stealing" his tricks. He can do what he wants, but I don't think he should be rewarded for shunning the rest of the sport.