Author Topic: Standard Bykes back in the flat game?!?.....  (Read 34888 times)

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Standard Bykes back in the flat game?!?.....
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2009, 08:51:49 PM »
Dear Furry - and others -

I'm in the process of trying to come up w a design for a custom. Few questions - why no capped seat/chainstays? Does anyone have a pic of a fluted seat tube? Very educational thread..

Rick, here are some suggestions:

1. Small Batches

Short frames, long frames, frames with brake mounts, frames without brake mounts, frames with removable gyro tabs, cable guides, and brake mounts, etc. (the old supply and demand thingy).

2. Seat Tube

No externally machined seat tube (they tend to crack; see photos below). Use a fluted seat tube instead. And no built-in seatpost clamp either (you don't want that if you're doing decades).

(before anyone asks, yes, those are Sick Child frames)

3. Dropouts

5mm thick with 3/8" slots & 14mm cutting lines. Either weld the seat and chainstays on the inside of the dropouts (St Martin "Eiffel", "Diamond", and "Gaia"), or make sure they're flush with the dropouts (Ares "Garuda"). No capped seat and chainstays.

St Martin "Eiffel" dropouts

Ares "Garuda" dropouts

;D :P

4. Bottom Bracket

No Euro BB. Small bearings do not handle loads well. Especially side loads. And Mid BB is overkill for flatland. If you're riding Flatland, Spanish BB is the way to go. Post-weld bearing seat machining on the bottom bracket shell (I hate ovalized BB shells!). 11.5" height.

5. Tubing

Rustproof coating inside and outside prior to painting/powdercoating.
Diameter: TT (double-butted) / DT 1.25" (single-butted), SS / CS 3/4".

6. Seat and Chainstay Bridges

No plates. Use crosstubes instead of plates to reinforce the rear triangle. The plates tend to crack on most frames.

7. Head Tube

4-3/8" rise (this allows for a low TT), 74.5° HA, integrated head tube (Campagnolo-style) with removable gyro tabs for the dudes with brakes, and no gyro tabs for the brakeless riders.

8. Tire and Sprocket Sizes

Max. tire size: 1.85" (the inflated width of a 1.85" Odsy Frequency G is about 1.9"), max. sprocket size: 25T (the age of pizza and dinner plates is over). Make sure people can use micro drive gearing.

Here's Luis Elias' Instrumental with a 15/9 gearing (15-tooth sprocket/9-tooth driver).

9. Weight

Somewhere in the neighborhood between 4.25lbs-4.5lbs.

10. Thanks for reading!
I'm like the brown LL Cool J.

TJ Perry

« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2009, 08:59:40 PM »

I'm in the process of trying to come up w a design for a custom. Few questions - why no capped seat/chainstays? Does anyone have a pic of a fluted seat tube? Very educational thread..

They get in the way for pivots and they absolutely kill your feet. My quamens are capped, but they're at an angle so that there is no way they're going to be in the way.

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2009, 01:36:27 AM »
Thx TJ! The first thing I thought when I ready Furby's (love ya dude) post about capped cs/ss's was my Quamen..Are you rocking the Delta4? or Cyphr? or? I'm not near the level of having to worry about pivoting (until I start doing stubbleducks or the such) but really good to know..Thanks man!

R. //

They get in the way for pivots and they absolutely kill your feet. My quamens are capped, but they're at an angle so that there is no way they're going to be in the way.

Offline Furball

• GF Inhabitant
  • New York rules, Boston drools!
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2009, 02:50:07 AM »
Does anyone have a pic of a fluted seat tube?

Remember, grammar is the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse", and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".

I just started getting into flatland stuff about 3 days ago and suck so far, I blame my sh*tty bike and lack of practice.

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2009, 02:53:53 AM »
Hey do you happen to have a pic of the outside of it? Or is it just fluted on the inside? Trying to figure what it looks like on the outside. Thanks furball!

Offline froghammer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2009, 05:33:19 AM »
Hey do you happen to have a pic of the outside of it? Or is it just fluted on the inside? Trying to figure what it looks like on the outside. Thanks furball!

Inside. Outside looks like a regular tube.
It truly is a romance of many dimensions, isn't it?

http://www.froghammer.com

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2009, 05:52:30 AM »

Inside. Outside looks like a regular tube.

They made fluted seat posts BITD too.  Do they still make them?
"A puppet no more!"

Offline Furball

• GF Inhabitant
  • New York rules, Boston drools!
« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2009, 09:21:15 AM »

Inside only. The inside of the tubing is shaped more like a star, so there are beams to support for example the fork legs. This method actually removes material from the tube to make it lighter, but the beams actually make it stronger. In other words, fluted tubing is a great way to shed some weight without sacrificing strength.

P.S. You're welcome! ;)

They made fluted seat posts BITD too.  Do they still make them?

I don't think so. I remember those, but they were fluted on the outside, tho.

Remember, grammar is the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse", and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".

I just started getting into flatland stuff about 3 days ago and suck so far, I blame my sh*tty bike and lack of practice.

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2009, 09:55:09 AM »
Kick ass guys. I do remember those fluted posts from bitd now =) good stuff

Budz

« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2009, 10:19:04 PM »
this thread is not goin on unnoticed.
Rick has been watching and gettin some good ideas from u all.
keep the thoughts, ideas, and opinions pumping! :mellow:

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2009, 11:08:58 PM »
this thread is not goin on unnoticed.
Rick has been watching and gettin some good ideas from u all.
keep the thoughts, ideas, and opinions pumping! :mellow:

I hope he won't be upset with me that I'm posting this picture of his new prototype.  I think they are on the right track here.

The double chain stays are for pivots, and the fork pegs make whoppers easier.

TJ Perry

« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2009, 11:18:57 PM »
You know inevitably someone will get on here talking about how "rad" that bike was and still is or that they remember cruising down some beach somewhere with a mullet all SEND ME AN ANGEL or some sh*t, and then like 2 posts later they will demand that I take them seriously.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2009, 11:20:13 PM »
That MCS Styler ^^^ was the most awful bike...EVER.

Edit:  I just read TJ's post.   NO TJ, we all knew it was an awful bike then too.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #118 on: December 22, 2009, 12:37:15 AM »
Most of the bikes with the WAY oversized platforms and useless standing areas didn't last long because most everyone realized that wasn't the way to go.

After maybe 1987, nobody was coming out with junk like that because it wasn't selling, because it wasn't practical.  Most every bike with platforms either had a tasteful double top tube or a smallish GT/Hutch seattube platform.  Those bikes are the ones that normally people talk about liking back in the day.

Offline pulsar

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #119 on: December 22, 2009, 02:39:37 AM »
wow your lawn is in rough shape ;D