Author Topic: Standard Bykes back in the flat game?!?.....  (Read 34722 times)

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Standard Bykes back in the flat game?!?.....
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2009, 07:39:21 AM »
It's the Chinese frames that Suck!The American Frames just are too pricey for most ,that's all.
and heres an American Cat.................

TJ Perry

« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2009, 07:45:13 AM »
I can tell you right now with full confidence that in a few years time Chinese bike builders will be able to compete on par with American bike companies. You don't grow your economy 8% a year and pump that much money into training a work force that can grow infrastructure at the rate they do without training some serious welding talent. You might laugh at that now, but they're catching up fast. This isn't some great leap forward backyard smelting yards, these guys are the real deal.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2009, 07:51:14 AM »
That should really PUMP our economy huh? Since we outsource so much.Yup,we're DOOMED!
Japan is already on par with most of our products,if not all of them or Better.Thier prices reflect it.

TJ Perry

« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2009, 07:56:13 AM »
That should really PUMP our economy huh? Since we outsource so much.Yup,we're DOOMED!
Japan is already on par with most of our products,if not all of them or Better.Thier prices reflect it.

Well, no. Not really. Welding isn't some artform where the secrets are held by master sages cloaked in red white and blue burlap sacks. It's a craft, just like many things people do around the world and it can be taught and people can be trained. The only issue is quality control and the Chinese are stepping up their game. They just have a MUCH larger labor pool and blue collar work isn't shunned like it is in the US. There are always shortages of welders in the US. People want American welders, but nobody wants to be one.

We're kind of digressing here, but outsourcing has very little to do with what I'm talking about. They're just offering to do the same thing that we do here at a cheaper price the same way two stores in one small American town might have a price war over a single commodity. It's just the free market at work.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2009, 08:03:50 AM »
Gotcha....I am an American Welder an Proud of what I do. Pays bills,feeds us,houses us,and lets me buy parts! But I do see your point,as Pride goes,I lived in So. FL. there is ALOT of Hate for Haitians, Because they will do the jobs that noone wants ,but they all say"They're takin our jobs"

TJ Perry

« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2009, 08:11:19 AM »
Gotcha....I am an American Welder an Proud of what I do. Pays bills,feeds us,houses us,and lets me buy parts! But I do see your point,as Pride goes,I lived in So. FL. there is ALOT of Hate for Haitians, Because they will do the jobs that noone wants ,but they all say"They're takin our jobs"

Well, they aren't taking anyone's jobs. They're offering to do it at a lower price, and to the person paying it makes more sense to go with the lower bidder.

Americans complaining about that are just lazy and unless they can offer something to make their increased pay worth while it doesn't really matter what they say about who is taking what job, they aren't doing their part to undercut the competition and they'll suffer for it.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2009, 08:15:52 AM »

Well, they aren't taking anyone's jobs. They're offering to do it at a lower price, and to the person paying it makes more sense to go with the lower bidder.

Americans complaining about that are just lazy and unless they can offer something to make their increased pay worth while it doesn't really matter what they say about who is taking what job, they aren't doing their part to undercut the competition and they'll suffer for it.
I agree,Exactly what I was sayin'.I also told them the same thing when I heard it.

TJ Perry

« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2009, 08:18:56 AM »
It's a shame it has to come to that, but that's how it's always worked.

To get back on topic, I hope that in the future Rick continues to pull ideas from newer generations of riders. I have a great deal of faith in Standard that they can put together an absolutely incredible flatland frame, but only if they're committed to making something that can't just be replicated down the road.

g-man

« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2009, 08:19:07 AM »
2FLAT

I think you quoted away my message. I've had 2 Taiwan frames that I bought in the last 2 years. The welds are impecable, and solid designs. (I question the material that is welded though) Where I work , my place of employment had a Chinese company build an injection  mold for us and it came back perfect, so the owner gave the company  10 more to build and all ten failed inspection. They were all built out of mild steel instead of p20.
I honestly can't say that these frames are 100%chromoly.

I trust S.B.C. and I think they will stand behind their product and not just create a mess of customer problems, which is a prob these days.

My frame was built by the LOWEST BIDDER.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2009, 08:24:28 AM »

TJ Perry

« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2009, 08:37:10 AM »
just thought I'd throw this in.........
http://www.fatbmx.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=9007

See there is an additional variable to consider when looking at KGB.

Would the parts have lasted longer under better manufacturing conditions or were the designs themselves to blame for the failed parts?

I think it's the design personally. Manufacturing defects only account for a small amount of part failures across the board, and when other companies are using similar builds (my we the people sinus for example lasted a hell of a long time for being made in taiwan while most KGBs...well...didn't). I think their designs were not very well thought out all the time and that lead to a considerable amount of their parts breaking.

I think that if you're going to blame someone there blame the company and not the guys welding.

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2009, 08:39:20 AM »
I agree! Just thought I'd throw that out there.

byke

« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2009, 08:55:34 AM »

Would the parts have lasted longer under better manufacturing conditions or were the designs themselves to blame for the failed parts?

I think it's the design personally. Manufacturing defects only account for a small amount of part failures across the board, and when other companies are using similar builds (my we the people sinus for example lasted a hell of a long time for being made in taiwan while most KGBs...well...didn't). I think their designs were not very well thought out all the time and that lead to a considerable amount of their parts breaking.

I think that if you're going to blame someone there blame the company and not the guys welding.

I agree allot with this ....

you also need to add one more thing to the equation and that is communication from afar in different languages can also add to the problem.

g-man

« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2009, 09:00:20 AM »

I agree allot with this ....

you also need to add one more thing to the equation and that is communication from afar in different languages can also add to the problem.
Leave it to Sweden to crash the party

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2009, 09:22:14 AM »
;D