Author Topic: Standard Bykes back in the flat game?!?.....  (Read 34889 times)

TJ Perry

Re: Standard Bykes back in the flat game?!?.....
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2009, 07:55:24 PM »
I'm starting to get a better picture of what you're talking about now. Quamen certainly set what ought to be the standard in flat frames with SS & CS caps that are flush with the dropouts--by now this should be common sense. And thinking about the practical and functional should be paramount. Odds are no matter what he decides to do it just won't please everybody so I don't think that attempting to cater entirely to modern trends and tastes is necessarily the recipe for success. I will say that there are certain design benefits of some more recent builds though. Hopefully, if he goes through with it he will recognize what those are.

I totally agree with you here. It's always the little details that I think companies overlook and that's what kills a frame for me. I don't think he can please everyone, but I think that there is a factual standard of quality that the company is capable of, and people really do see that.

I mean, if someone is going to buy a bad thing frame, they really aren't looking at anything else. It's obvious those things break all the time, and that they're also ridden by all the other cool kids... so you're not going to sell a dude who wants THAT particular frame on a standard or quamen or whatever else is out there that might not blow. 

I for one would love to see a frame with a platform option but I know this will never happen unless some modern shredder decides to put one on for 'retro style' and learns some crazy new trick that uses it, then they would come back over night. There are so many multiple decade style variations left to be done that could benefit from it and they are so much fun it could really take flat in a different direction but unfortunately, even with the recent rollaid variation battles, no one has gone for multiples and thus no one would see or take advantage of having a platform. Things come and go in cycles it seems in flat--who that lived through the Baco era would have ever thought tight pants, hi-tops, and two piece bars would be the norm again? Maybe platforms are on the horizon.

Baco didn't really have tight pants though..? I don't think you'll ever see a frame with a decade platform simply because of the added weight. I would never ever run one even if I was doing nothing but decade variations though, I had one on my first frame and I felt that it actually got in the way of my foot for some reason.

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2009, 07:59:17 PM »
TJ, if you did a lot of decades you definitely WOULD see the merit of a platform.  What was that first frame and what did the platform get in the way of?

Brian

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2009, 08:19:32 PM »
Thank you to everyone for your input so far. Let me address one thing to be clear: I am only interested in building a frame that is top notch and for the current form of flat. The older influenced, retro style stuff but modernized can stay in my custom program. I can make the frame any geometry any rider wants. What I need from you guys is what the key points are. Maximum tire size, max sprocket size, stand over height, head tube length, how much clearance for the stays, brakes/ no brakes options, details baby! I only have interest in building the best. I have always believed as a rider, that to build the best I need to listen to those that ride a given model then use excellent materials and build process with quality control. I will listen to all and build a proto for you guys to scrutinize. Let's keep the dialogue open. Feel free to contact me directly as well.
Rick

Hi Rick,

Just curious, what is the average cost of a custom build?
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.

TJ Perry

« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2009, 08:22:43 PM »
TJ, if you did a lot of decades you definitely WOULD see the merit of a platform.  What was that first frame and what did the platform get in the way of?

Brian

The first frame was a Dyno zone. I kept hitting my foot when trying to grab the frame for tailwhips. It actually made me stop riding flat and start trying ramps the first year I had a bmx bike just because the frame felt so cumbersome and akward. It wasn't until I got a hoffman george a year or so later that I saw how nice it was not to have it there. I learned decades and double decades on an S&M sabbath with no platform. I didn't see a benefit when I did them on bikes WITH a platform either.

Granted I couldn't do a decade today with a gun to my head because it's been so long but... eh. it is what it is.

Offline dug

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2009, 08:36:12 PM »
I'm sure Standard will put out a high quality product.

Evil_Lincoln

« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2009, 08:42:30 PM »
Thank you to everyone for your input so far. Let me address one thing to be clear: I am only interested in building a frame that is top notch and for the current form of flat. The older influenced, retro style stuff but modernized can stay in my custom program. I can make the frame any geometry any rider wants. What I need from you guys is what the key points are. Maximum tire size, max sprocket size, stand over height, head tube length, how much clearance for the stays, brakes/ no brakes options, details baby! I only have interest in building the best. I have always believed as a rider, that to build the best I need to listen to those that ride a given model then use excellent materials and build process with quality control. I will listen to all and build a proto for you guys to scrutinize. Let's keep the dialogue open. Feel free to contact me directly as well.
Rick

Here it is guys, your chance to make something awesome happen.  Those of you with the knowledge, experience and skill need to join together, get your ideas flowing and send Rick something killer.  No more B.S. guys, let those who know do the talking here and hopefully we can all benefit from it someday soon!  It's not often you get a chance like this, make it count.

Offline Red43j

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2009, 08:42:45 PM »
Rick

Hi Rick,

Just curious, what is the average cost of a custom build?

Brandon-
try hitting him at his email:
rpm063@earthlink.net
-hope that helps! -Josh
Looking to sell Standard parts? I'm looking for Chrome stuff. Decals. Standard Pegs. Coaster Shells. White Dia Compe Tech 77's? You got 'em? Howzabout a 1992 Haro Ground Master F&F? I may just want them...
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” -Will Rogers

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2009, 08:45:08 PM »
Dyno zones weren't good for much. lol.  But seriously, multiple decades and variations are soo much better with a platform.  That being said I think it should remain a custom option or be limited production for a new Standard flat frame.  The old Shorty platform wasn't so good.  Too long and the extra tubes sat a little lower than the toptube, they all need to be level.

Brian

TJ Perry

« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2009, 08:58:52 PM »
Dyno zones weren't good for much. lol.  But seriously, multiple decades and variations are soo much better with a platform.  That being said I think it should remain a custom option or be limited production for a new Standard flat frame.  The old Shorty platform wasn't so good.  Too long and the extra tubes sat a little lower than the toptube, they all need to be level.

Brian

Would removable mounts be possible somehow?

katobmx

« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2009, 10:03:40 PM »
I think a frame that has this framehttp://www.sundaybikes.com/v3/complete-bikes/funday-pro/ TT height with 19TT, 13 CS would make a greak frame. wish bone CS junction.Could we stray away from the euroBB (I dont trust it :huh:) spanish BB would be nice. I'd like to see another company incorparate a higher than normal BB like the ABT frames.basically a street strength flat frame.theres no reason why thats not a posibility. thats all I got  -_-
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 10:05:28 PM by katobmx »

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2009, 11:17:12 PM »
I don't like euro bb's either.  Mid is ok but a bit heavy.  I think the spanish is best for flat.  Small and light yet durable.

Integrated tensioners would be a nice touch.
Longer smooth caps on the chainstays and seatstays too.

Brian

Offline h2otowntony

• Backpacker
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2009, 01:34:31 AM »

Integrated tensioners would be a nice touch.
Longer smooth caps on the chainstays and seatstays too.

Brian

+1

lardyard combos sucked for that reason alone on my OX tao.
I did like the rear end length on that frame tho for back wheel tricks vs. my Sick Child Metro, which is too short.

TGK

« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2009, 02:03:12 AM »
" h2otowntony:Quote from: wookie on Yesterday at 11:17:12 PMIntegrated tensioners would be a nice touch.Longer smooth caps on the chainstays and seatstays too.Brian+1lardyard combos sucked for that reason alone on my OX tao.I did like the rear end length on that frame tho for back wheel tricks vs. my Sick Child Metro, which is too short."

Exactly!

I have had the damdest time getting a consistant stubbleduck on my hitman frame, so hopefully Rick will take all this into consideration. 

=)

Offline Hatebreeder

• Backpacker
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2009, 03:28:58 AM »
Im sure alot of you guys have seen this...but for those of you who didnt.......
http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php?showtopic=27039578

Offline Pat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2009, 04:39:50 AM »
i like euro... i dont see the problem with it its not like your bashing the bottom of your frame repeatedly against concrete... whats gonna break on it? (im in no way expirienced so dont take me the wrong way here :P)

and also, i think 12.6-13.25 would be a good cs length, most guys run around 13.0 i believe...

and personally, im a little sick of straightube frames and something like the sick child metro would be cool. and if you do go straight tube, have the dt welded higher like on the cyphr or instrumental.

also, i like shorter headtubes, but dont really have a reason why :P
74.5ht 71st seem like good all around round angles tooo
SLOflatlander-Central Coast California Flatland