Author Topic: Standard Bykes back in the flat game?!?.....  (Read 34697 times)

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Standard Bykes back in the flat game?!?.....
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2009, 04:46:13 AM »
There is a need for 19'+ frames. I told Terry that about his custom frame with Oddy. I would never ride something that big but I have always noticed the need for it.

Brandon oh Brandon. Ever thought of Politics?  :rolleyes:

I'm all for 19"+ tt frames (hell, I ride one). But I don't see the point in copying what is already there, know what I mean?

Politics? Why just because I disagree?  :huh:
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.

Offline Scott O

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2009, 04:50:18 AM »
There is a need for 19'+ frames. I told Terry that about his custom frame with Oddy. I would never ride something that big but I have always noticed the need for it.

Brandon oh Brandon. Ever thought of Politics?  :rolleyes:

I'm all for 19"+ tt frames (hell, I ride one). But I don't see the point in copying what is already there, know what I mean?

Politics? Why just because I disagree?  :huh:
JJ  :beer:
www.voodoojam.com
twitter @emceeob

Offline SNOOP

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2009, 05:04:12 AM »
So they should stop making street/park/race frames because that design is taken and the market is already "flooded?" This logic is funny.

Offline Jason

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2009, 05:27:18 AM »
The quality of SBC is unmistakeable.......definitely ranks high on the charts.

THAT IS WHY THEY SHOULD MAKE A NEW FRAME FOR THE NEW MARKET
NOR-CAL FLATLAND.  !!WE Bicycles supporter!!

Day Smith Beanies

TJ Perry

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2009, 06:17:24 AM »

I'm not sure how you get that out of my saying buy a sick child or a quamen if you want a no frills frame but I'm not gonna try to figure it out.

If you wanted a 19+ tt frame, the only option out of those were the bowls until recently when the 19 instrumental came out. Sorry, that's hardly any kind of selection for geometry.

MacNeil just stopped making a no frills flat frame remember? As much as I wish SBC well in any new venture, maybe the market really can't support it as much as the hopeful would like to think. Just something to chew on.

That macneil frame was not that nice. It wasn't a no frills flat frame. The rear end on that thing was constructed horribly. The taper on the seat and chainstays was like 45 degrees over a quarter of an inch. It would be incredibly painful to ride one of those because your foot would hit the damn stays so much it would bruise. That's just bad design in my opinion. Nevermind that it was essentially built bigger than most street frames are now.

I looked at that bike, and I immediately ruled it out because of that and other reasons. I didn't like that the same way I really didn't like the Div. I just thought they were not well thought out designs the same way a quamen or sick child is. Quamen's and sick childs have a certain maturity and understanding about what goes into a good FLATLAND bike that macneil and WTP just didn't really have in my opinion. I am worried standard might go down that same road if they don't employ the input of actual flatlanders and just go off what a street rider who rode flat years ago thinks a good flatland frame should be. This isn't geared at rick, it's just in general I don't get a sense that they're ready to reach out much is all.

The quality is there, the pragmatic design simply isn't.

Offline anthony

• Backpacker
  • You live for something or die for nothing....
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2009, 06:50:09 AM »
Standard Bikes = Pure bmx  :wacko:

Plase somethink like this Mrs Rick Moliterno please.

Offline Jason

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2009, 07:11:29 AM »
Nicely engraved.  Those welds look proper!!
NOR-CAL FLATLAND.  !!WE Bicycles supporter!!

Day Smith Beanies

Budz

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2009, 08:17:21 AM »
whos bike is that up there with the Trick Star front end?! thats SiiiiCK! :beer:

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2009, 04:44:53 PM »
So they should stop making street/park/race frames because that design is taken and the market is already "flooded?" This logic is funny.

No, no I never said to stop anything. I said Rick should do what he wants. I just see a lot of very similar frames already on the market and didn't really see the point in doing a another one but if standard's quality is really beyond what is available this alone warrants them doing it.

But I mean, when I go to Flatlandfuel I see all of these frame at around 19" or above with fairly similar double diamond designs:

-Slim fit
-Deja vu
-Mankind Alive
-Bowls
-Cypher
-LTF
-Diamond
-Class x-2
-MacNeil
-and several other around the 18.8" mark

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2009, 05:18:37 PM »

That macneil frame was not that nice. It wasn't a no frills flat frame. The rear end on that thing was constructed horribly. The taper on the seat and chainstays was like 45 degrees over a quarter of an inch. It would be incredibly painful to ride one of those because your foot would hit the damn stays so much it would bruise. That's just bad design in my opinion. Nevermind that it was essentially built bigger than most street frames are now.

I looked at that bike, and I immediately ruled it out because of that and other reasons. I didn't like that the same way I really didn't like the Div. I just thought they were not well thought out designs the same way a quamen or sick child is. Quamen's and sick childs have a certain maturity and understanding about what goes into a good FLATLAND bike that macneil and WTP just didn't really have in my opinion. I am worried standard might go down that same road if they don't employ the input of actual flatlanders and just go off what a street rider who rode flat years ago thinks a good flatland frame should be. This isn't geared at rick, it's just in general I don't get a sense that they're ready to reach out much is all.

The quality is there, the pragmatic design simply isn't.

I'm starting to get a better picture of what you're talking about now. Quamen certainly set what ought to be the standard in flat frames with SS & CS caps that are flush with the dropouts--by now this should be common sense. And thinking about the practical and functional should be paramount. Odds are no matter what he decides to do it just won't please everybody so I don't think that attempting to cater entirely to modern trends and tastes is necessarily the recipe for success. I will say that there are certain design benefits of some more recent builds though. Hopefully, if he goes through with it he will recognize what those are.

I for one would love to see a frame with a platform option but I know this will never happen unless some modern shredder decides to put one on for 'retro style' and learns some crazy new trick that uses it, then they would come back over night. There are so many multiple decade style variations left to be done that could benefit from it and they are so much fun it could really take flat in a different direction but unfortunately, even with the recent rollaid variation battles, no one has gone for multiples and thus no one would see or take advantage of having a platform. Things come and go in cycles it seems in flat--who that lived through the Baco era would have ever thought tight pants, hi-tops, and two piece bars would be the norm again? Maybe platforms are on the horizon.

Offline Moliterno

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2009, 06:26:25 PM »
Thank you to everyone for your input so far. Let me address one thing to be clear: I am only interested in building a frame that is top notch and for the current form of flat. The older influenced, retro style stuff but modernized can stay in my custom program. I can make the frame any geometry any rider wants. What I need from you guys is what the key points are. Maximum tire size, max sprocket size, stand over height, head tube length, how much clearance for the stays, brakes/ no brakes options, details baby! I only have interest in building the best. I have always believed as a rider, that to build the best I need to listen to those that ride a given model then use excellent materials and build process with quality control. I will listen to all and build a proto for you guys to scrutinize. Let's keep the dialogue open. Feel free to contact me directly as well.
Rick

Offline SNOOP

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2009, 06:33:07 PM »

No, no I never said to stop anything. I said Rick should do what he wants. I just see a lot of very similar frames already on the market and didn't really see the point in doing a another one but if standard's quality is really beyond what is available this alone warrants them doing it.

But I mean, when I go to Flatlandfuel I see all of these frame at around 19" or above with fairly similar double diamond designs:

-Slim Fit wouldnt own
-Deja vu ned to find out more about..
-Mankind Alive a little to low at the tt but managable
-Bowls
-Cypher
-LTF owned one
-Diamond no rearend
-Class x-2  only in 18.1
-MacNeil
-and several other around the 18.8" mark
^^Fixed..As you can see theres much room for improvement. The cypher being the only one id definately not mind riding.

Offline Red43j

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2009, 06:58:15 PM »
whos bike is that up there with the Trick Star front end?! thats SiiiiCK! :beer:

A guy in the UK by the name of Danny Harris. He has it built up and it looks awesome. Candy red with white parts. Looks like a trick star and a STA put together.
Looking to sell Standard parts? I'm looking for Chrome stuff. Decals. Standard Pegs. Coaster Shells. White Dia Compe Tech 77's? You got 'em? Howzabout a 1992 Haro Ground Master F&F? I may just want them...
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” -Will Rogers

Offline Red43j

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2009, 07:03:42 PM »
Thank you to everyone for your input so far. Let me address one thing to be clear: I am only interested in building a frame that is top notch and for the current form of flat. The older influenced, retro style stuff but modernized can stay in my custom program. I can make the frame any geometry any rider wants. What I need from you guys is what the key points are. Maximum tire size, max sprocket size, stand over height, head tube length, how much clearance for the stays, brakes/ no brakes options, details baby! I only have interest in building the best. I have always believed as a rider, that to build the best I need to listen to those that ride a given model then use excellent materials and build process with quality control. I will listen to all and build a proto for you guys to scrutinize. Let's keep the dialogue open. Feel free to contact me directly as well.
Rick
Looking to sell Standard parts? I'm looking for Chrome stuff. Decals. Standard Pegs. Coaster Shells. White Dia Compe Tech 77's? You got 'em? Howzabout a 1992 Haro Ground Master F&F? I may just want them...
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” -Will Rogers

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2009, 07:30:07 PM »
Rick

Thanks Rick!  That is the attitude Standard has embodied from day one.  Can't wait.

Brian Rybak