Author Topic: Standard Bykes back in the flat game?!?.....  (Read 34706 times)

TGK

Re: Standard Bykes back in the flat game?!?.....
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2009, 01:03:29 AM »
" Brandon Fenton:So basically everyone wants him to make this: http://www.stmartinbmx.com/diamond.html but put a standard logo on it?Redundant--Boring--not very creative. Yeah that's pretty now, heh. (J/K but only sorta). Am I the only who thinks that he should make whatever the hell he wants? If you want to support an American company that makes a no frills double diamond frame buy a sick child or a quamen.  Why do we need more of the same?And with that the hoards will be upon me in seconds. This is such a friendly place, with tolerance, and respected differences of opinion, and fluffy bunnies, and rainbows..."

Brandon,
Thank you for hitting the nail on the head.  (On not just one, but several topics)

So +1

Offline cow

• Cliffhanger
  • neglect not the talents in thee............
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2009, 01:30:30 AM »
jeez guys.......we bash parts more than we buy.......a pro riding standard's parts is gonna get bashed the same way Mathias and Raphael is bashed........yes marketing wise its the best direction but what else is being put in place fro companies to want to invest heavily in every 6month innovative parts if riders themselves aren't doing much/if anything to keep flatland growing on a solid level....

enough of the POST-WARS.....lets sit down and try to do something real to help flatland grow instead of coming on here everyday trying to prove who's cranial cavity has less air and who has the hairy-er balls........lol

look around you kids flatland is almost dying........go ride/go plan

this is a global-flatland forum.......step outside for some "real air" and see what the rest of the world is up to........ :ph34r: ;D
Whatever you want in life is gonna take some effort on your part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fact is, freestyle riding was, is, and will always be evolving and moving in different directions. So just do what you want and have fun with it. Trends come and go.- TYRONE WILLIAMS

Offline Theory

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2009, 01:37:27 AM »
And with that the hoards will be upon me in seconds. This is such a friendly place, with tolerance, and respected differences of opinion, and fluffy bunnies, and rainbows...

Don't forget about the butterflies Brandon!

I'm not exactly sure what frame style flatland needs right now since most style frames exist already. I don't think they "need" to make a specific style of frame (bent tubes vs. double triangle). I do agree that I think that SBC should take a good look at flatland in the state it is in currently and creatively design a frame based on what they see riders need and what they can offer beyond current available products.

Some things I've learned over the years:

- I really like when a frame has detailed technical features
- I for one won't buy a new frame below 19", they're aren't many options for 19"+
- Rear ends seem to mostly be to short these days
- 4.25lbs-4.5lbs feels like a good weight

TJ Perry

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2009, 01:54:22 AM »
So basically everyone wants him to make this:

http://www.stmartinbmx.com/diamond.html

but put a standard logo on it?

Redundant--Boring--not very creative. Yeah that's pretty now, heh. (J/K but only sorta).

Am I the only who thinks that he should make whatever the hell he wants?

If you want to support an American company that makes a no frills double diamond frame buy a sick child or a quamen. 

Why do we need more of the same?

And with that the hoards will be upon me in seconds. This is such a friendly place, with tolerance, and respected differences of opinion, and fluffy bunnies, and rainbows...

So basically what would be the point of creating anything different anyway? St Martin has the absolute worst quality in their parts and bikes that I've ever seen in my entire life. KHE doesn't hold a candle to how bad their frames are.

Other than that, you basically made the argument for not making any frames in the US at all. Great job I guess?

Yeah, there already is a suelo simple I suppose, but if it had the attention to detail and quality that a quamen had... well sh*t. That's a pretty winning combo in my book. Standard is known for good quality.. why WOULDN'T you advocate keeping it simple to them? Makes no sense.

Offline Stubbleduck43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 02:09:08 AM »
I recently saw a Standard custom frame made for a fello rider with a Trickstar type gusset on another site.  I'm very interested in getting a frame made by them after seeing that frame. 

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 02:22:41 AM »
G man actually posted that Months ago,It's awesome!Uh,RickStar was the name ,but I read another name as well and someone posted it in this thread earlier.
 BTW, Brandon,I said virtually the samething!!  ;D

TJ Perry

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 02:30:08 AM »
I agree with B to some degree, but when I'm window shopping on flatlandfuel with frames, it's kind of depressing to have to scroll down through all the options and rule out a good 2/3rds of what is on there because it's just utter sh*t quality. I just don't wouldn't have to do that with a standard frame.

edit: Okay I just went over to flatlandfuel to see if I was right about frames... I picked out FIVE frames on that site that I would consider buying if my height wasn't an issue and I didn't need a longer top tube.

FIVE.

Colony Deja Vu
Deep blitz
Quamen Bowls
Quamen cyphr
Zion Lowkee

That's it. Everything else is either a sh*tty design, or has such a poor reputation with quality control that I wouldn't touch it to save my life.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 02:39:02 AM by 2FLAT2FURIOUS »

TGK

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2009, 02:36:25 AM »
" 2FLAT2FURIOUS:I agree with B to some degree, but when I'm window shopping on flatlandfuel with frames, it's kind of depressing to have to scroll down through all the options and rule out a good 2/3rds of what is on there because it's just utter sh*t quality. I just don't wouldn't have to do that with a standard frame. "

ME TOO!, but if standard made something completly functional(that I never would have a doubt in my mind) and something along the lines of any of the colony frames, I would know in my mind that it would be money well spent, and would last the "test of time". 

You would have to agree with this TJ, correct?

TGK

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2009, 02:38:23 AM »
Oh, I forgot to add, that you have not been the only one to get a st.martin frame 1/2 welded, and then welded like sh*t. 

TJ Perry

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2009, 02:40:57 AM »
Oh, I forgot to add, that you have not been the only one to get a st.martin frame 1/2 welded, and then welded like sh*t. 

Oh I know. Iriez had a diamond I sold him break in a matter of months, only to get a new one and have it break in the exact same spot! Their cranks break, the sprockets strip out or snap. I would be afraid of those bars snapping. Their whole parts and frame line are just sh*t. That's five frames on flatlandfuel alone that I just would not consider getting with a god damn gun to my head.

TGK

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2009, 02:44:36 AM »
Below is my "eifell" thread post.;

" NO-BODY:1 star for the time spent on making all frames on a friday afternoon , or Monday morning.  (That 1 star is just for showing up for work)"

Offline Scott O

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2009, 03:26:09 AM »
There is a need for 19'+ frames. I told Terry that about his custom frame with Oddy. I would never ride something that big but I have always noticed the need for it.

Brandon oh Brandon. Ever thought of Politics?  :rolleyes:
www.voodoojam.com
twitter @emceeob

TGK

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2009, 03:32:50 AM »
" Scott O:.Brandon oh Brandon. Ever thought of Politics?  :rolleyes:

Witch is one thing that has ALWAYS seperated SBC from the rest,even from a roster of riders all the years.  It would be like asking ;
Where does politics come into play where people slide all over floors?(Rolls eyes-lol)

katobmx

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2009, 04:13:07 AM »
19TT+13CS=perfect  -_- well i ride an 18.9,13 frame...but I want 19 to be trendy  ^_^

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2009, 04:38:07 AM »

Other than that, you basically made the argument for not making any frames in the US at all. Great job I guess?

I'm not sure how you get that out of my saying buy a sick child or a quamen if you want a no frills frame but I'm not gonna try to figure it out.

On a side note, I had no idea st. martin's quality was so crap. I guess if all the popular style frames are failing maybe that should tell us something. Either way, I've never heard any problems with the instrumental, bowls, or cypher. And those are American baby!

MacNeil just stopped making a no frills flat frame remember? As much as I wish SBC well in any new venture, maybe the market really can't support it as much as the hopeful would like to think. Just something to chew on.
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.