Author Topic: Standard Bykes back in the flat game?!?.....  (Read 34704 times)

Budz

Standard Bykes back in the flat game?!?.....
« on: December 15, 2009, 12:29:55 AM »
thats the word from the man Moliterno himself! :mellow:
sorry...i couldnt control my excitement and had to post something about it. ;D

Rick Moliterno is looking for some frame feedback...i told him to peep global-flat for input from the riders themselves. if enough people use this time to post what you would like to see, im sure Rick will pop his head in here to see what people want these days. it would be sweet to see Standard Bykes back on the scene!
its my understanding that they also do custom frames...so if your ideas arent what they want, u can always get something custom built up to your specs.

so, whats the word people?...what would u like to see in a new Standard flat frame?

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Standard Bykes back in the flat game?!?.....
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 12:32:35 AM »
first - twin top tubes!haha jk ..but seriously..ok now someone who has an educated opinion..
I'm like the brown LL Cool J.

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 12:42:21 AM »
Rick and I have been talking about this for a looooong time. I hope he pulls the trigger soon and gets some frames made.
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

Offline Red43j

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 12:44:51 AM »
Rick and I have been talking about this for a looooong time. I hope he pulls the trigger soon and gets some frames made.

As do I.
It boggles the mind, the potential for them to come back into the game and make something amazing.
Looking to sell Standard parts? I'm looking for Chrome stuff. Decals. Standard Pegs. Coaster Shells. White Dia Compe Tech 77's? You got 'em? Howzabout a 1992 Haro Ground Master F&F? I may just want them...
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” -Will Rogers

Offline Red43j

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 12:46:53 AM »

Pat-
Have you given Rick any ideas? I think that they have had 3 pretty decent frames with some cool ideas. I STILL love the Shaman and the Tao (side note: anyone got stickers for these frames that you want to sell?). I'd love to see Rick take the design of the Tao, and do something modern with it.
Looking to sell Standard parts? I'm looking for Chrome stuff. Decals. Standard Pegs. Coaster Shells. White Dia Compe Tech 77's? You got 'em? Howzabout a 1992 Haro Ground Master F&F? I may just want them...
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” -Will Rogers

Offline dan4130

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 12:48:16 AM »
Updated 87 haro master. 19.5. TT
would be nice
IF FLATLAND EVER HAS A DEBATE TEAM. I WANT T.J. PERRY AS MY CAPTAIN!!

TJ Perry

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 01:12:28 AM »
Rick, if you're reading this, completely disregard any and all requests of Tao's and Shamans. Please.

Don't remake that OX tao either. Do a straight no frills frame in two lengths, 18.8 and 19.2, 12.75-13.5 in the back or something along those lines. Keep the weight to a little under or around 4.5 lbs, and don't make the top tube too high. All straight tubes, and make sure the clearance is good in the back and under the downtube. Get flatlanders to test it. Get people who test it who you are confident will tell you whether or not it flat out sucks or not because if you don't have people like that, you won't know whether or not flatlanders will like it. That's kind of a no brainer, but it seems like most companies are not doing this so I figured I'd say something.

Flatland has changed A LOT since the 90's and most people do not want another Tao unless it's to make their bikes look good on bmxmuseum or something. The design should be pragmatic, but also cater to a new generation of riders. It doesn't have to be trendy to be functional, but it doesn't have to be a rehash of an old design to be functional either.

Also, find a flatlander who actually gets some decent exposure on a regular basis, and send him a frame. Do not give another frame to Paul Osika unless it's just a friendly gesture between bros because he's not doing your company any good on the marketing front by hiding away somewhere.

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 01:35:31 AM »
Have to agree with TJ there. Need to look forward and at your contemporarys for inspiration for a frame rather than looking back, I think.

I'd say simplistic design is the way forward. Please no funky tube buisness. Give the tubes a nice size, not so small like Paris V3, but not too big either - oversized tubes look horrible (See: Strowler).

And before the function over fashion crusaders jump on me for saying that: lets be honest here - if youre going to do a job, then do it properly. Theres absolutly no reason why a company cant make a functional, good looking frame these days.

TT Lengths - Really, please, 19.2, 19.3/4, somthing for the taller demographic and people who just plain like sensible sized frames.

Attention to detail: Alot of bmx frames these days have immaculate attention to detail - that new fly frame is a prime example of this. I'd LOVE to see a flat frame with that ammount of quality. Alot of frames in flat are let down by ugly removable lugs or gimmicks like built in chain tensioners. Which dont work.

In a saturated market you really need these details to make your product stand out. Functionality may not be (and oftan is tottaly discarded by some people) to sell the frame. (See: WTP Sinus) Details details details.

I mentioned the Sinus beacuse its a lesson to learn from. It was an AMAZING frame. Seriously. But due to the lack of it having a pro's name slapped on it, and marketing its details it never really sold well when in theory it should of flown of the shelfs.

Low TT is good, very good. But theres a fine line. I feel (And I think many others feel the same) that frames like the Mankind Alive are too low for some. I ride a St Martin Diamond and its probably the lowist id want it.

If you really do want to get back into flat, and help the scene - you do have to look at the contemporarys right now. Its all well and good saying "a remake of <random 80's frame> but lighter!" but thats really not pushing anything forward.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:36:44 PM by EZChris »
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline cb256

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 02:36:30 AM »
Just make this please...

Offline The Brown Sound

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 02:50:25 AM »
Ok in all seriousness, I gotta agree w tj and Chris. Fwd thinking. It's funny cause I've seen flat through various stages - old, mid and now - sh*t frames (quality wise of the 80s) oversized and unecessarily heavy (though bombproof) and present days emeciated (sp?) frames w horror stories of cracking.  Each style had/has it's pros and cons. I can't say for certain it's time for another change, but it seems (to me) the weight weenie thing has been played out (again my opinion) Maybe it's all about making strong frames the lightest way possible (think efficiency vs saying I want a 3 lb frame)

I am impressed by today's overall machining and build quality (clean) so those are all must haves. Lower tt but not too low (and again me personally I would love a twin tt or platform but most don't need) w foot room clearance. My $.02
I'm like the brown LL Cool J.

Offline SNOOP

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 03:08:49 AM »
I think everyone's pretty much hit the nail on the head here...Keep it strictly functional, doesnt have to be of any crazy design. As to where i feel quality makes up for aesthetics just as much so as curvy attractive tube designs.

To add to whats been said, i just want to add that a tapered dropout..not the chunky capped ends of the stays found on most street/ street co oriented frames. Hell that way of going about tapering the stays would work..just the cutout angle and length would need to be a bit more severe of an angle. Foot/peg friendly. Also a bit lower standover height then the LTF/LAF, as these two statements are my only complaints of the S&M..Best bike ive owned to date other then that.

Kill'em with quality...Function before fashion...Severe weight loss, is a no go.

Edit: Also do some limited runs of your production model street/park frames somewhere in a 19.5/19.8 tt length just to tide the small guys and street guys who ride flat a hope in the market.

Offline Scott O

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 03:12:51 AM »
Much needed USA Flatland Product.
As you all know I am Ares all the way but Flatland in the USA needs as many USA companies as possible.

Just not sure if Standard is serious or their heart is in it like it should be.

Wait and see!!
www.voodoojam.com
twitter @emceeob

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 03:19:46 AM »
I don't really think Rick needs our input,he's a Flat rider as well. He's been in this game as long as ANYBODY on here. Standard has never built a sub Quality or sub Functional Frame OR part. So ,all I'll add to this is,Keep up all the Great work you have been doin all this time and Crank out somemore FREESTYLE frames ,you build them,we will buy them.

BTW,Rick, YOU'RE THE FUKIN' MAN !!!!!!!

Offline Pat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 03:42:46 AM »
i completely agree with tj and ezchris. they made some really good point and have 18.8/12.75 19.2/13.5 seems like good sizes to make. only thing is, it seems alot of people prefer frames with room, so maybe an all straight tube design like everyone hypes as well as a second with smaller triangle cross ht section?
SLOflatlander-Central Coast California Flatland

Offline Jason

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 04:04:54 AM »
Juggernaut speaks for me......I agree that there is nothing wrong with what Standard did with their products, they were building great equipment for the market that was there at the time.

On what TJ & Chris said, I think looking forward is important because the market has changed alot in just the last 5 years alone from my perspective.

We definitely don't need to teach Rick anything at all.....but opinions are important.  If your going to address the market that is available you defininitely need to know what the market is doing right now, because it might already be changing again.

I rocked an OX Tao, TJ...........for almost 5 years & loved it with no complaints!!  Til I built my Quamen.  If Standard comes out with another great frame I will definitely be riding it.
NOR-CAL FLATLAND.  !!WE Bicycles supporter!!

Day Smith Beanies