Author Topic: i just hit a brick wall (not literally :P)  (Read 6011 times)

Offline GRFN.FLAT.

• Deathtrucker
  • that's some scooby-snacks right thurr
i just hit a brick wall (not literally :P)
« on: December 14, 2009, 12:40:59 AM »
i know i've always been really positive and encouraged riders that are thinking about quitting to stick with it, but i'm suddenly filled with an urge to full on QUIT. i've been riding (not too intensely) for about a year and have only a few tricks in my bag, only 1 of which is mildly impressive. i've spent months learning these tricks and don't feel very fulfilled by having overcome the obstacles. furthermore, i don't know how i can afford it (a glimmer of hope comes from the price drop in militant lt's down to $450) or how i'll be able to keep riding at college in 2 years. i don't want to quit, but i'm torn. i feel SO DOWN.

TGK

Re: i just hit a brick wall (not literally :P)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 01:10:46 AM »
You haven't hit that *brick wall* until you have learned how to do all your tricks forward,backward, left/right foot cross foot,switch/opposite,pump/no pump , kick,turbine and reverse.  Then there are the positions you have not got to yet. 

Happens to everyone.

Keep riding and progressing and have a great holiday season.

Tim

Offline Pat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 03:20:35 AM »
ya i know exactly how ya feel man. one of the things that kills me is when i nail a trick i've been tryin for a long time, and then i dont get even close for the rest of the session. but whats weird is if i make some quick progression on one trick, i can usually get some with all my other tricks too  -_-
SLOflatlander-Central Coast California Flatland

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 06:17:24 AM »
When flatland throws a brick wall at you...learn to wall ride it.

Seriously though, have you ever considered trying other forms of BMX?  I like riding everything I can...just keeps things fresh.  I think this is why street appeals to more people...you get that instant gratification.   You can learn 180's in a day, feeble grinds in a day...and just keep going with it.  It's fun!
"A puppet no more!"

SFV_BOY

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 06:32:52 AM »

+10000

Offline Furball

• GF Inhabitant
  • New York rules, Boston drools!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 06:39:36 AM »
Flatlanders don't let flatlanders quit riding.
Remember, grammar is the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse", and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".

I just started getting into flatland stuff about 3 days ago and suck so far, I blame my sh*tty bike and lack of practice.

Offline BigDaddyEP

• Forkglider
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 07:02:30 AM »
Well this is what I know:  flatland blows sometimes. 

It's just the nature of the sport, sometimes it is incredibly frustrating.  But nothing matches the feeling once you learn that trick that you've worked on for months.

It sounds like you love flatland but you are in a slump.  You can put the bike down, and take a break for a while... but if you really love it... it will eat away at your mind and sooner or later you will get back into it.  Just look at the members of this forum.  How many people quit, only to come back later? 

So put the bike down for a week, and see if the urge to ride hits you.

TJ Perry

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 07:06:10 AM »
My first "year" of riding I stopped twice and skateboarded maybe... 4 months out of 12.

Set it down. Walk away. Come back to it when you're ready.

Offline Johnny Gordon

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 05:48:51 PM »
My first "year" of riding I stopped twice and skateboarded maybe... 4 months out of 12.

Set it down. Walk away. Come back to it when you're ready.

Sound advice, I rode hard for my first 6 years. So hard that i kinda burned myself out.

I felt i was riding for the wrong reasons,

I was pressuring myself for my next contest, or to rep my sponser,etc. I had forgotten the reason i even started to ride in the first place, because i enjoyed it!

anyway, I've picked my bike up again, after a 3 year break, And i'm having so much fun. No pressure to learn anything, Just go out and have a blast.

So you take a break, When the time is right you'll come back. And if not, i'm sure you'll find another way to entertain yourself

Johnny

Budz

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 06:01:37 PM »

+10000
ahhh...wall rides are my true love.
wish i could wall ride all day...hmmm...i HAVE!haha.

hang in there dude. like TJ said, sometimes a break is good.
its like, ya dont know what ya got til its gone, and if its in your blood, it will call u back again.
its also nice to clear the mind and get back to things with a fresh mentality.
think this has happened to most of us at some point. i say, "I quit"! every time im out ridin and things arent goin my way...its in my blood tho...the love runs deep...so i never do quit even tho i hardly make progress anymore since im always hurt.
u will know if its in your blood when u walk away for awhile. u will either feel nothing at all, or u will go into detox and crash hard cause u arent out rollin.
either way, hope things work out for ya whatever u choose. :mellow:

Offline Ken NJ

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 07:52:12 PM »
crank up  the intensity and push.. nothing worthwile was ever easy...

breaks can be part of your progression too...
flat rules everything around me f.r.e.a.m.

Offline flat1ander

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 12:15:58 AM »
yeah i've definitely been there man. I've proly been riding off and on for like 5 or 6 years now and my progression is slow to say the least. Only recently have i found a newfound love for flatland simply by learning a couple new tricks. So just stick in there man and always be pushing yourself to learn new stuff because thats where the fun comes in. And no worries about not having time to ride in college. Trust me, you will have plenty of time for extracurricular activities of all kinds in college...  :beer:

Offline chaincranker

• Forkglider
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 12:39:22 AM »
My only real regret I've had with my life is that I stopped riding for 5 years. The love was always there. Every spring I'd get the urge and I'd spend a few days riding and then wouldn't pick up my bike till next spring. Now that I've been riding again consistently for the past 7 months I look back and can only imagine where I'd be if I had that 5 more years of progression.

You should stick with it, but for right now take a break from riding just for a little. It helps, that's why people get vacations from jobs; sometimes you just need some time away. If flatland is really for you then you will have this urge to get back on your bike. Hopefully you will do it a lot quicker than it took me.

Also if you feel you hit a wall with progression on your current tricks, start learning some new ones.

-Andy

Offline Pat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 04:39:04 AM »
i like the take a week off or so system. what usually makes me wanna give up is lack of progression, and alot of times, when i get out there after a week break, i feel like im movin foreward alot more
SLOflatlander-Central Coast California Flatland

Offline the Thrillseekers

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 12:14:28 AM »
In 2003 I felt the same way I just didn't progress and felt like I hit a brick wall. What I did wrong is that I saturated myself with flatlanding. The scene here in Calgary AB was pretty big and I rode lots. then I stopped committing. Then I moved onto other things and quit flat cold turkey. I sold my bike, got into Djing, snowboarding.... Bought a Motorcycle, even started skydiving. then not even 2 months ago, I wanted to watch some flat video's and saw the progression of the sport and made me really miss it. I found a cheap wtp pony up in edmonton and I started up again, can't put the bike down.... Now that i've aged 6 years and the scene in my city died to nothing, I realized, riding is really about fun, and now that i've been riding in my condo's parkade a few nights of the week relearning things. I know I really loved flatland, I just worked myself up to hard. So put the bike down and get back on it when you feel like it. don't feel like your obligated to stay on it. you progress more when your just having fun.

oh and hello global-flat! this was my first post. :D