Author Topic: Knee Therapy?  (Read 4750 times)

Offline jsteady

• GF Inhabitant
    • :P
Knee Therapy?
« on: November 29, 2009, 03:58:34 PM »
A few months ago I jammed my knee attempting to try a bunnyhop bar spin on a friends bike.
When I landed my knee jammed due to my leg not bracing the landing.

Would anyone know a way to loosen up my knee? It has been killing me for a few months now. I can go to the doctor but I figure I would ask here first to say a few $$$

Thanks!!

Jon

Offline DaveDeBuono

• Deathtrucker
Re: Knee Therapy?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 04:12:57 PM »
a couple winters ago i got a contusion in my left knee i was out of work for months and had physical therapy. first they would heat it up with a hot towel wrap for like 10 mins. then they would massage and stretch it. then do things like step-up/step-down, foot raises with an ankle weight(eventually weight is added) then they put this electro thing that sends a pulse through it for like 10 or 15. guess you cant do that at home. eventually i was on an elliptical and a stationary bike.
then when i was at home they gave me a sheet of stuff to do, basically laying on your back/sides/front and doing leg raises. so basically i would heat it, stretch it out, make it work but not hurt, then ice it, and take it easy. hope this helped, feel better bro
life is short. stunt it.

byke

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 04:15:46 PM »
My only advise regarding knees is that you should look after them to the best of your abilities.
If this means spending $$$$ on healthcare, I strongly recommend it it you can afford it.

I dont trust home remedies on undiagnosed issues.
As it could be that you have an internal tear causing the locking.

byke

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 04:21:30 PM »
The heat and ice method is used for increasing blood circulation ..... but again, until you have diagnosed the issue which could be a tear in your Meniscus which is very common with knees I would stay clear of any home remedies.

Offline Jason

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 07:52:20 PM »
Definitely go with what byke said. I have landed flat on both my knees in the past, luckily not causing major injury....according to the doctor. The only advice I could offer would be that if it is swollen at times & looks normal at other times then the bursae are swelling and contracting. This is somewhat normal, if it is swollen and hurts but won't go to normal then you need to see a doctor.

Knee injuries take a while to heal. If you can ride with some pain I would recommend stopping immediately and seeing a doctor or physical therapist before continuing with any physical activity. Make sure that you are doing the correct stretching and therapy before you cause any further damage. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:54:53 PM by Jason »
NOR-CAL FLATLAND.  !!WE Bicycles supporter!!

Day Smith Beanies

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 08:04:43 PM »
I have had three knee surgeries over the years, with a full knee replacement still needed...and I agree with Jason and Byke.  Seek a doctor's opinion.  I need the knee replacement because I damaged my knee many years ago, and I always just did "home therapy" and never took care of it properly. 

Jon, I know you're trying to save some cash(it is expensive), but you really should just spend the money and get it checked.  Could save you some money and a knee in the long run. 
"A puppet no more!"

Offline dethtrk17

• Deathtrucker
    • MYSPACE
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 04:05:52 AM »
yeah what everyone else said about going to see a doctor. I am predicting issues with my knees and ankles sooooon. It sucks but you have to step back and realize whats more important. As for the medical bills...dont worry Obama will pick-up the bill for you :rolleyes:

Offline DaveDeBuono

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 10:25:12 PM »
aww no one agreed with me. jon go see a doctor! before the 19th!
life is short. stunt it.

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 05:50:27 AM »
Get an MRI and have a doctor take a look. 
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

riding

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 06:12:18 AM »
I've had problems with one knee after a bad crash for almost 3 years now, and it's just getting back to normal. When it first happened I was broke and couldn't afford surgery or even doctor visits.  I was also told that knee surgery(and cortisone) had really bad side effects later in life and that every possible treatment beforehand should be exhausted to try to heal up without it.  No scans, no x-rays.  I've gone a couple times a week this whole time to a chiropractor/energetic healer; used acupuncture, massage, acupressure, ionic baths, contrast therapy, arnica, rolfing, chi kung, yoga, breathwork, and steady dietary treatment as well as rehab and "being careful with it".  It's almost normal now.  Serious knee problems can hang around forever man. It's best to go all out on them from the start to get them better, weather that means going under the knife or more natural treatments for you.  Best of luck, get well soon!

Offline Nails

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 08:33:24 AM »
dont ride a fixie
still learning

Iriez

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 06:47:39 AM »
Funny, Im probably the only guy to NOT recommend a doctor, and I have some of the most extensive damage :) bilateral acl/mcl replacement & retorn acl/mcl on left.

If its torn its torn. Only surgery can fix it. Paying money because you have no insurance to have a doctor tell you that it can only be fixed with surgery, which is more money then you could afford likely without insurance....is silly.

Having him tell you 'its fine work it through' ...well...thats also silly. Waste of money.

So here's what I recommend: Exactly the therapy above, and the 'sends a electric shock' device only causes the muscles to tighten, stop, tighten, stop, etc ... Its a auto-muscle building tool. Its not essential to the physical therapy.

But excercise is good...plenty of guides on the internet, just google physical therapy for the knee. They recommend different excercises for different stages of progress.  if it hurts real bad your not going to be doing lunges, but you'll be doing step ups.

If it buckles out then its torn. If you 'jammed' it, its likely not torn. Its just that the knee is a large piece. There can be a large amount of internal inflammation for ....months....thats simply reaggrivated every day. Swelling = pain

byke

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 09:45:45 AM »
Funny, Im probably the only guy to NOT recommend a doctor, and I have some of the most extensive damage :) bilateral acl/mcl replacement & retorn acl/mcl on left.

If its torn its torn. Only surgery can fix it. Paying money because you have no insurance to have a doctor tell you that it can only be fixed with surgery, which is more money then you could afford likely without insurance....is silly.

Having him tell you 'its fine work it through' ...well...thats also silly. Waste of money.

So here's what I recommend: Exactly the therapy above, and the 'sends a electric shock' device only causes the muscles to tighten, stop, tighten, stop, etc ... Its a auto-muscle building tool. Its not essential to the physical therapy.

But excercise is good...plenty of guides on the internet, just google physical therapy for the knee. They recommend different excercises for different stages of progress.  if it hurts real bad your not going to be doing lunges, but you'll be doing step ups.

If it buckles out then its torn. If you 'jammed' it, its likely not torn. Its just that the knee is a large piece. There can be a large amount of internal inflammation for ....months....thats simply reaggrivated every day. Swelling = pain

I TOTALLY DISAGREE.

We all have ideas of what is best for our own health, but making up fictional beliefs without fact on how things work and passing advise based on such fiction is dangerous.

Electromyostimulation is often used to help reduce swelling.

In many instances, it is important to keep a joint moving without adding any stress.
However due to every medical condition having unique properties, an online diagnosis by unqualified net nerds is not the answer.

See a doctor if you believe  you have an issue.
And from my experiences a arthroscopy is allot more productive in exploration compared to a MRI (so if you are offered either, I personally would choose a arthroscopy as it can see many areas in which a MRI can often miss)

Offline doozer

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 09:28:37 PM »
go see an ortho doc.  or you can have surgery twice like me.

in one year... one in january.   one on the 18th.

yeehaw.

range of motion, ice, heat, maybe some ibuprofen or naproxen.