Author Topic: Game of Skills by Michael Sommer  (Read 5004 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
Game of Skills by Michael Sommer
« on: November 26, 2009, 07:41:52 PM »
Remember Michael Sommerīs open letter and judging format some time ago? Now he is organizing a contest in Vienna which will have some special format thatīs going to be explained soon. First of all put this date in your calendar: Game of Skills 17th April 2010 in Vienna, Austria.

More new events:
- Session i Viña in Chile this weekend
- FreakStyle Sessions in the USA 16th January 2010

Offline bjchenga

• Forkglider
Re: Game of Skills by Michael Sommer
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 08:51:43 PM »
Although i am not bashing Michael for thinking of a new format, and other avenues of judging contest should be looked into....the format C (as was described 8-08) has some major flaws that would not make it a good/viable way to judge a contest.
 if you want the long drawn out reasons, i can post them, but it would have similar problems like the format i made up for espn/x-games years ago. that is, the complication of the format would draw the comp out way too long and ruin the flow and rythem of the rides---causeing them to freak out and dislike the comp/format, bashing Michael---which should not happen because he cares enough to attempt to create something possative for flat.

PLUS

parts of the judging criteria are offensive and ignorant....for example: Scuffing = minus 2
 scuffing is seen to make tricks/combos "easier"  This is a completely poor point of view because I can name tons of tricks/combos that invovle scuffing and are just as difficult, if not more difficult, than many of the rolling combos seen today! Furthermore, before any rider freaks out, I would love to host anyone who doubts this with a private jam at my spot where I will call out tons of tricks involving scuffing, AND hours later when they have not hit ONE of these SCUFFING tricks/combos, they might change their mind at how scuffing makes tricks/combos "easier"

one example would be... dumptruck (before getting to the stick B) jump while 360 body varial, land into opposite inside stick B, then jump and 360 bike varial land into regular stick B, then coast out. Chase did that one in 97 and it still stands the test of time! 

cheers
    ;D

Offline bjchenga

• Forkglider
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 08:55:38 PM »
   PS....

The format C does need some refining, and i hope Michael or someone else can create a reliable judging format, but i am not holding my breath because it is nearly impossible to judge an artform with no right or wrong ways of expressing yourself!

TJ Perry

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 09:22:26 PM »
but wait isn't scuffing for old fogies that don't want to learn how to pump???

pumping just looks so much cooler because it's like you're not even touching the tire and when you wiggle your body and the bike goes its like MAGIC.

:P

i like both.

clp

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 11:23:43 PM »

pumping just looks so much cooler because it's like you're not even touching the tire and when you wiggle your body and the bike goes its like MAGIC.

i like both.
Aye i like both to its all about the execution , the debate of which is harder is so arse tarded lets take hang 5 for example brakeless scuffing fwds  is way harder than rolling or pumping it will ever be my point being its impossible to apple the difficulty of one technique in one trick to every technique with every trick .

TGK

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 07:28:45 AM »
(I may be wrong-?-)
But isn't doing your standard dump truck trick still considered a high intermediate to pro level trick?

And to even re-think Chase was doing a form of the optiduck into then out of that trick in '97 is nuts! =)

TJ Perry

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 07:33:55 AM »
(I may be wrong-?-)
But isn't doing your standard dump truck trick still considered a high intermediate to pro level trick?

And to even re-think Chase was doing a form of the optiduck into then out of that trick in '97 is nuts! =)

I love Chases whiplash lines, but his back wheel will always be my favorite.

Offline Furball

• GF Inhabitant
  • New York rules, Boston drools!
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 05:19:27 PM »

i like both.

You mistake scuffing/skimming (funky chicken/caboose/gerator) for kicking (mccircle/mega spin). ;)  :mellow:
Remember, grammar is the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse", and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".

I just started getting into flatland stuff about 3 days ago and suck so far, I blame my sh*tty bike and lack of practice.

TJ Perry

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 09:32:35 PM »

i like both.

You mistake scuffing/skimming (funky chicken/caboose/gerator) for kicking (mccircle/mega spin). ;)  :mellow:

Are you doing this again?  :rolleyes:

TGK

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 12:36:41 AM »
" 2FLAT2FURIOUS:Quote from: Furball on Yesterday at 05:19:27 PMQuote from: 2FLAT2FURIOUS on November 26, 2009, 09:22:26 PMbut wait isn't scuffing for old fogies that don't want to learn how to pump???pumping just looks so much cooler because it's like you're not even touching the tire and when you wiggle your body and the bike goes its like MAGIC.  :Pi like both.You mistake scuffing/skimming (funky chicken/caboose/gerator) for kicking (mccircle/mega spin). ;)  :mellow:Are you doing this again?  :rolleyes: "

HULK SMASH!

=)

Offline Furball

• GF Inhabitant
  • New York rules, Boston drools!
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 06:19:08 AM »
Are you doing this again?  :rolleyes:

Ha ha ha. Um... yep!

I know, I know, I know...

Remember, grammar is the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse", and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".

I just started getting into flatland stuff about 3 days ago and suck so far, I blame my sh*tty bike and lack of practice.

Offline Pat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 06:37:12 AM »

this has got to be one of the best ones i've ever seen  ^_^
SLOflatlander-Central Coast California Flatland

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
I think if points are going to be deducted for anything it should be for touches.  Feet touching ground, rear wheel touching ground in middle of Front wheel combo, front wheel touching ground in middle of rear wheel combo, pegs touching ground on sloppy rideouts.  In these instances the rider has not executed the combo perfectly therefore penalties may be assessed. 

Scuffing and pumping scores are a judgement call.  If you intentionally do a difficult scuffing combo and your technique, execution and duration are good then you should be scored on the merit of the tricks and not penalized for having a different style.  Same goes for pumping.  If you scuff or pump with bad technique, are super sketchy and hold the positions for extreme ammounts of time but don't touch your score should still be a bit lower. 

I don't know the exact format of the comp that Michael is doing I was just commenting on the judging criteria he laid down.  It definitely has it's good points but like Scott said it seems a bit too involved for the fast paced manner that events are run these days. 

Side note.  I have always wanted to see a more informal comp where tricks get pulled out of a hat and then each rider tries to do as many variations and/or combos with specific trick.   This probably wouldn't be at all spectator friendly because you would see many failed attempts but would be fun for accomplished riders to participate in.

Brian