Author Topic: New concept, new frame...  (Read 20343 times)

Offline PiR products

• Company
  • Backpacker
  • Innovative products
New concept, new frame...
« on: November 19, 2009, 06:57:44 PM »
Hello fellow flatlanders.

I'm glad to introduce you a new design frame concept called the "chain-tunnel".

To resume this concept, it's a way to minimize the width of the rear triangle, by making different dropouts jonction.

PiR already made a similar dropout jonction for the non drive side but never for the drive side, as you can see in the following link :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/malovelo/Dropoutsjonction.jpg

But now, it's possible with the "chain-tunnel" design.

A first frame has been made for a french flatlander nammed Steeve and here is some pictures of his bike...

For more informations, you can contact PiR products at : pir.bmx@gmail.com

The website is in progress...
The website is down but you can visit my profile on facebook :
https://www.facebook.com/Pir.Malo

If you want a quotation or place an order, just contact me using pir.bmx@gmail.com

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
Re: New concept, new frame...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 07:17:16 PM »
How does a narrow rear triangle help in the design of a flat frame? I never understood St. Martin’s logic here either...
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline flem

• Hitchhiker
  • back on bike
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 07:20:39 PM »
and what about the solidity? cause how i see the thing, it's that only the dropout will support your weight? or am i going wrong?

Offline cow

• Cliffhanger
  • neglect not the talents in thee............
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 07:27:06 PM »
every idea is worth a try...however i do see problems with sprocket restrictions etc.........

somehow seems like the return of pacman dropouts.....soon...........
Whatever you want in life is gonna take some effort on your part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fact is, freestyle riding was, is, and will always be evolving and moving in different directions. So just do what you want and have fun with it. Trends come and go.- TYRONE WILLIAMS

Offline SIN

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 07:38:17 PM »
your chain is on backwards...

Offline ollie

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 07:40:52 PM »
What is the point to minimize the rear triangle? Does it help in any tricks aside from tire trod bike varials?

Offline JFos

• GF Inhabitant
    • www.myspace/richardmccoy.com
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 07:50:19 PM »
I dont get this advantage either. a Long rear doest exactly make backwheel easy. is this steve pokemon?
Schramm’s Law: “The single most important contributor to a nation’s economic growth is the number of startups that grow to a billion dollars in revenue within 20 years.”

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 07:51:21 PM »
What are the rest of the specs on this frame? The thing looks nice and simple as well as a bit roomy for a strait tube design...
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 08:06:38 PM »
I like it..you had a thought, a drawing, a plan, and now a real prototype.

Congrats..we all wish we could create a bike of our own!

anyone who says they haven't dreamed of it is lying...

!!

Offline Levi

• Team
  • Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 08:08:10 PM »
I dont get this advantage either. a Long rear doest exactly make backwheel easy. is this steve pokemon?
it's a way to minimize the width of the rear triangle,

TJ Perry

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 08:10:04 PM »

Yes it does. These 12.5 rear ends coming out now make rear wheel tricks incredibly twitchy and over-responsive. 13 should be the minimum.

As for the chain through the frame design.. I don't think that hole will be able to withstand the abuse that a normal seatstay would be able to. Not to mention the fact it limits what kind of gear ratio could be run on it.

Offline JFos

• GF Inhabitant
    • www.myspace/richardmccoy.com
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 08:21:58 PM »
whats the advantage of a narrower rear tri? and seriously was this meant to narrow ro shorten the rear?

Im not knocking this becasue i fully believe to each his own...im just tyring to understand where this is coming from and why.

Is a shorter rear helpfull with front wheel tricks? or narrow at that?

i think that smore viable than helpfull for rear. i just think a rear end this short or narrow is kind of unnecessary, and actualy counter productive. I just cant think of reasons to reinvent for front when I fully understand at the same time that a short rear or narrow rear wasnt made so to assist with back wheel styles.
Schramm’s Law: “The single most important contributor to a nation’s economic growth is the number of startups that grow to a billion dollars in revenue within 20 years.”

byke

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 08:31:40 PM »
I Like it.

Malo, I will email you soon ... I had the swine flu the past week and a half so havent spent much time out of the bed.

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 08:38:04 PM »
I SEE PROBLEMS WITH SUPPORT OF THE DOWNTUBE AND
BOTTOM BRACKET AREA/SEATTUBE AND WILL THIS THING
BREAK AND WHAT IS THE WEIGHT ON THIS FRAME!

THANKS

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 09:14:27 PM »
I like the concept but it brings to mind some questions:
a) how strong is the "floating" dropout? It doesnt have the same support a regular dropout junction would have.
b) how strong is the tunnel? Will it withstand the lateral impacts? If it does go into production it would have to be enlarged vertically to have chain clearance with bigger sprockets and that would weaken even more the tunnel.

Anyway I wish you good luck with this idea!